★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Punch Studio
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 5.2 MB
  • Version: 1.01
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Age Of Puzzle

Jump into an exciting Puzzle Battle Action with an epic RPG theme.

A long time ago, in Dryas, the uncharted continent. It is a period of chaos.
Evil monsters and humanoids, raging from hidden places, have devastated human territories incessantly.

During the disorder, only hope for human tribes is the prophecy that a legendary warrior with great power will save people and restore freedom to the entire continent.
Challenged by the sinister creatures, a hero just begins the crusade to fulfill the prophecy....

Age Of Puzzle features:
- Engagingly simple 3-match Puzzle Action.
- Dozens of Mobs throughout multiple stages.
- Strategic development of your character.
- Multiple items to help you get stronger.
- Beautiful graphics and effect.

-------------------------------------------------

Punch Studio Games

- Coast Guard
- iSpot Pro
- Age of Puzzle

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

08-31-2009, 06:32 AM
Stealing art from Blizzard isn't the smartest way to make money...

http://www.allbestwallpapers.com/wal...raft,_2004.jpg

08-31-2009, 06:34 AM
looks like a puzzle quest clone, I may have to try this out for a buck
08-31-2009, 06:50 AM
This is amazing how blunt some people are.
For everyone not believing I put the to images together.

Left side (red cloth) is original Blizzard, right side is the copy!

I wonder if this is legal, as they did do a few slight modifications.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ripoff.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	7121  
08-31-2009, 07:01 AM
Well that's a damn shame.
08-31-2009, 01:37 PM
Artwork aside, I picked this up today since I really love Puzzle Quest and thought it would be cool to have another one. Not knowing what to expect I was pleasantly surprised at the graphics and how polished the game is. The game is set up with a series of missions that each have several levels within them to beat a foe. Much in the puzzle quest fashion there are certain squares that deal damage to your foe, but unlike puzzle quest there are three types - melee, ranged and magic - each with the ability to be upgraded as you gain experience and thus levels. Also in the levels are shields, each which protects you from damage from those same three "weapons" when matched by your opponent. The balance between collecting shields and attack items is always a tricky question. You can even collect potion bottles to increase your attack power. As with all match 3 games special things happen when you match 4 or match 5.

Its been very fun for the limited time I could spend playing this morning and it definitely has its place alongside puzzle quest for players that like those kinds of games. Where there are situations in which I find myself not wanting to play puzzle quest because I would have to walk the map to get to the next "battle" puzzle, this game gets straight to the puzzles (battles). So I can see myself playing this at those times I don't have extra time to spend to get to the next quest, or battle the ogres along the way, etc. This is just the puzzles so if that interests you you would enjoy this game. This is said from someone who has owned puzzle quest on every platform it was released for - PC/DS/PSP and of course iTouch etc.

There are some inconsistencies with the spelling such as defense is spelled a few different ways and that is one of my pet peeves not to do a simple spell check. The other thing I found myself frustrated with are the colors of the shields. The Purple and the dark Blue are very similar in color and I found myself missing a turn because of an invalid move simply because the light I was in made them look too similar. So on an update it would be great to distinguish them in some way.

It's a great steal for 99 cents and would recommend this highly to any puzzle or light core rpg fan (only because there isn't as much of an rpg element in this as puzzle quest). I would rank this 4 out of 5 stars as I get back to playing another round!
08-31-2009, 02:50 PM
how long is the game though...like the actual story?
08-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkong120 View Post
how long is the game though...like the actual story?
The "quest" screen shows 6 quests with multiple levels within each one. I haven't yet finished that screen so I am hoping a new one will appear when I do. Otherwise if thats it there are about 36 battles you must win. Some taking longer than others. I fear it may be a short but fun game.
08-31-2009, 03:42 PM
It looks really compelling... Looks like a sure buy for me...

-I've actually been playing WoW for a few years, and didn't put a match between the art... dunno if it's just me though.... Is it really that bad? Not just loving admiration
09-01-2009, 09:43 AM
After playing it for some time yesterday, I have yet to beat the first 6 missions (if there are more than that). The difficulty ramps up a little though and its tougher to get through the missions many with their 10 levels per mission. (the first one or two only have 6) If you lose on a level you just start from that level and you do not lose any of the equipment you have gained. You can customize your character with the bonuses you receive (something I figured out by accident) by pressing on the little suitcase. The hint button goes away as you progress so on difficult boards you are on your own - a good thing.

I did email the developer to ask how long the game play was early yesterday and did not get a response. That was disappointing knowing some developers are so prompt to do so especially with a new release. I even told them about this forum.

But I would say that the length of the game has been great so far, especially at this price. I would guess approaching 60 levels.

Again, if you enjoy different match 3 games - this one with a turn based strategy - or like puzzle quest, you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by New England Gamer; 09-01-2009 at 09:46 AM.