BIOSHOCK On iOS What do you expect from BIOSHOCK graphical performance?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by oldsnake, Aug 7, 2014.

1. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    Well,BIOSHOCK it's coming This summer on iOS,since in it's thread there are more question of The performance related to The iOS vs XBOX 360 version instead of talking only of The GAME itself,here you can discuss what BIOSHOCK can give to iOS,how benefits,And talking about The graphics,performance,And what you want from BIOSHOCK!!

2. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    As long as it feels/plays like bioshock, I'll be more than satisfied. If I want the whole console experience, then I'd play it on console.

3. oldsnake

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    We're think The same,OMG that BIOSHOCK will be on my pocket..And i play on my PS3 if i want The full experience(dynamic shadows,etc..) i play on my PS3 8 playtrough..for me it just good that it's a full-port,it's normal that they cut some grapchics on iOS,also on iPad air,iPhone 5s,cause The limit of The hardware according with The devs,i'm sure that even The New iPhone 6,with A8 chip+METAL feature,can't handle The 360,PS3 version..

4. oldsnake

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    #4 oldsnake, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    I see The controls,And i hope will be costumizable,i like a polished HUD,touch on enemy to use plasmids,free-Pad,And touch 2 time on enemy for shoot..I will play on iPhone,small screen,i buy The New iPad when coming out,i'm not like The air..

5. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    well considering that the iphone 6 will most likely have at least a GX6650 powerVR gpu (since its the one coming directly after the chip inside the iphone 5s) and considering that chip is slightly more powerful than the tegra k1, which is more powerful than the ps3/ xbox 360, i'll say why not?!

6. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    I think the size limit restrictions of the App Store have played as much of a part as anything else. While I don't think the game would have been identical to the 360/PS3 version had the ceiling been raised by Apple in the file size limit allowed, I do think on A7 devices it would have been closer than it is now.

It would have even nice to see the Developers wait for iOS 8 and utilise Metal to see what that could allow them to do, but again the limit on file size means fitting a console game onto the App Store means sacrificing a lot of in game assets.

That said, before I watched the comparison video I was blown away and, from memory, it looked exactly like Bioshock as I remembered it. I've not played the game since way back when it came out and didn't even bother with 2 since I long since ditched my 360.

It's an instant buy from me, absolutely cannot wait to have Bioshock on my iPad Air alongside X-Com.

7. oldsnake

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    Instant Buy from me too,i don't see Apple filesize like The major problem,there lot of confusion about it..The 2GB limit it's for The download(COMPRESSED) of every app,but after insallation i've games that Are more than 3GB,what i don't know if there a limit of UNCOMPRESSED files of apps..then,there are IAP for DLC,like REPUBLIQUE,when you buy The app,it's 900MB(1.3GB UNCOMPRESSED)then,from within The GAME,The EP 2,The 3 Making of,put The GAME size to 3.3GB,And there other 3 EP coming that can put The total size to up 5GB..we need devices with 256GB of space,seriously..then if Apple take out The 2GB download it's better for sure..

8. oldsnake

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    What i super excited for BIOSHOCK it's that it's The FIRST EVER UNREAL ENGINE 3 WITH NO RESTRICTION,FREE-ROAMING On iOS! Look at IB 1,2,3,HORN,AND all The other UE3,where you touch to move,here you can go everywhere with you're Free-Pad,virtual Joystick,so,i'm super excited on how it work..

9. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    #9 redribbon, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    if they add real time shadow with current graphics level shown on TA's video then I'm gold. thats all I'm asking. rts will add more depth into atmosphere of the game.

ps. with rts i mean better dynamic lightning not just a baked one. at least make them available as an option on A8 device. I'm going to play this game on iphone 6 for better experience. not going to ruin the real bioshock exp by playing the game on lower graphics setting.

10. oldsnake

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    I play eventually BIOSHOCK on my iPhone 5,then,when in italy come The iPhone 6 i play on it,it's universal,And yeah,dynamic shadows for A8 devices as option will be great..but if i had to sacrifice FPS,it's better without them..

11. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #11 Nekku, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Nah, nah, nah! :D
    There is free-roaming in Horn as well as in Wild Blood, World War Z, Slender Rising, Brandnew Boy, Warm Gun and Dungeon Defenders. I surely missed a bunch of U3 games which including free-roaming. But yeah, not every UE3 game is tap to move. ;)

I'm sure, with Apples A8 SoC and Metal on its way, graphics wont be a problem anymore.

But I have to disagree on the file size part. Apples file size limit is indeed a huge problem.
    Just for the record: the 360 version of Bioshock was 7.67GB on disc while the PC version was 12GB installed on HDD.
    The 360 version was already compressed on the disc and no one knows if it's even possible to compress it any further. Some apps wont get any smaller if you pack them in an IPA file. It mainly depends on structure and size of all files inside the package. So there is no guarantee at all. It just could happen that a app in 2GB of size is still 2GB after packaging.
    Another problem is the limited space we have on our devices. Sure, you can buy a device with 128GB, but Apple is charging so much for a small storage upgrade, I doubt anyone wants to pay additionaly hundreds of dollars just for downloading games which are 8GB in file size.

12. maikelg

maikelg Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Bioshock 1 for PS3 is around 12 GB, so I do expect a slight downgrade in graphics, but as long as it plays good I'm happy :)

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If sacrificing realtime shadows means less battery consumption and less heating, and of course better framerates, i would totally accept that.

14. Erpiotta5

Erpiotta5 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    The really important think is ...the release date!!!other thinks is nothing !

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Just play it on PC.

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Lol... I have to agree. If you are looking for the best Bioshock experience, you'll find it on other platforms.

iOS may have tons of potential based on what we've seen, but it's still called mobile coz of portability, which means cutting down on some stuff to make it so.

17. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Perhaps the video, but looks terribly muddy and looses a lot of the games strong point, it's atmosphere.

18. oldsnake

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    I agree

19. oldsnake

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    They aren't so big as BIOSHOCK..WORLD WAR Z It's tap to move..I mean No path or restriction at all,in BIOSHOCK,also if you have an objective mission,you can go where you want..Arcadia still my top 1 level,I love that level.for what concerned Apple size restriction,I agree that will be better take out that 2GB max,so we can play some great porting without limit,on my PS3 BIOSHOCK have 6GB HDD,on PSN it's around 11Gb..the problem,as you mention,if I buy a device with 128GB,if some port are 11GB,10 games,and the device it's empty,so a 256GB device would be great,also,it's not clear if 2K downgrade the grapchics for hardware limits,or,in some Internet site,they mention "graphics drastically downgrade"due to apple limit filesize..

20. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    I don't want to pay something around $1100 for an iPhone with 256GB of storage. And I doubt the majority of gamers will.
    Apple should give us an SD card slot instead! :D
    Another thing is, developers will have to bring out separated versions if they want to port 8GB+ games cuz otherwise, no one with 16GB storage will buy their game if it takes up more than half the storage. More importantly if someone with an older device wont get the graphical improvements, but the game will still take up all the space. That's what we have now with universal apps. iPad Retina textures taking up alot of space and therefore it's wasted space if you play it on your iPhone and vice versa.