★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The Outcast is a whole world you experience in your pocket. Join us on this epic text adventure where you'll explore a vast and dangerous world through a unique story system that unfolds at your own pace.

This is a story unlike any other.

PLAY AT YOUR OWN PACE:
--------------------------------------------
We don't want you to sit down and play The Outcast for hours. Seriously. We want you to take it with you throughout the day. It's like a secret world no one else knows about. You might be out and about walking around, eating lunch, or maybe on a date when something happens in The Outcast. When you go in, the story resumes. Maybe you've stumbled across an old rest stop, or a graveyard of cars, or a stranger asking for help. You'll make decisions, meet characters, and explore. Once it's over, you leave and wait for your next unexpected event.

A STORY ONLY YOU CAN TELL:
We built our own engine to tell this unique story. We call it the Firewood engine. Why did we build one? Because it can tell stories no other engine can. Usually, if you make a decision, there's a single outcome. So if you play again, you already know what will happen. With the Firewood engine, we have the ability to make as many different outcomes from your choice as we want. So when you meet a character the first time they might become your friend, but if you play again, they may become your enemy.

This engine ensures that every story will be unique and unpredictable, just like real life.

JOIN OUR GROWING COMMUNITY:
We started The Outcast in June of 2014. Thanks to fans around the world who took a chance on us, The Outcast is what it is today. We're doing this because we want to share the creation of this amazing game with you, our fans.

Please be aware that we're making changes to the game with each episode, and as such, we hope that your feedback will help us to make the next update the best version of The Outcast to date.

After purchasing the game please join our forum and say hi @ http://www.simplemachine.co/outcastforums/

Note:

The Outcast requires notifications to be turned on. This is how you will know the story has progressed. We only send one notification when this occurs. We promise this is essential to playing the game and we will not use these notifications to spam you with sad depressing messages through out the day about how your game or the characters inside your game are "lonely" because you are neglecting them.

Credits:
The Outcast is a game by Simple Machine.
Co-written by Nick Fortugno/Playmatics, Clayton Gumbert, and Simple Machine.
Narrative design by Nick Fortugno/Playmatics.
Art by Ignas Zydelis.
08-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Has anyone tried this?

08-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Been "playing" it since last night. Interesting concept, curious to see they go with it.

There really isn't any interaction, more like a randomly generated story you pop into the app to see what happened periodically throughout the day.
08-08-2014, 02:47 PM
don't quite understand what you "do" and also why is it 1.99 for a game you just "read". Just curious is all

If we could harvest human stupidity to run our electricity, and our cars, the world would see a new era of clean, renewable energy. That's an amazing resource we're wasting.
08-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks for checking it out.

Sooo The Outcast is a game that we are developing with fans. We initially had this idea to make a game where the story unfolds through notifications. We thought about how much everyone hates notifications and wanted to see if we could come up with a way to use them to make an innovative game (this is how most ideas happen at Simple Machine -- misusing something, lol).

Well, that was a year ago. It sat and sat and sat, until this summer when we decided to move towards becoming a more transparent game studio (open sourcing code, showing more about how we make games, etc) and also once we decided to move on from making puzzle games to make story based games. We looked at all our game ideas that we could do this summer and felt like The Outcast was the best first step towards those goals.

Usually we work on a game in private, but with this game, we're looking for tons and tons of feedback from people while we build on it. We want to hear everything, what would be neat, what could be better, a character name, etc.

We've already received some really genuine feedback on it and as we're committed to bi-weekly updates on the game from here on out, we're already incorporating some of their feedback for our August 21st update.

The short answer is, yeah, for now, there isn't a lot of agency, but we feel like that's the best place to start, and based on what we've heard, our fans are agreeing. The end goal, for us, is to build this amazing game that innovates story telling on mobile devices, providing players with a deep story that slowly unfolds throughout their day to day moments over 6 months (maybe even a year). You'll explore the world, meet the people who live their, and ultimately decide your place there.

So ... welcome aboard! We hope you'll send us emails and bug us with cool ideas and feedback that will make this game the awesome creation we're envisioning
08-08-2014, 07:09 PM
I haven't played this yet, but I'm intrigued. Reminds me of Godville.
08-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Yeah, I'll have to wait a little while to see some more feedback. Looks interesting and it seems like it could be cool.
08-08-2014, 08:00 PM
This seems incredibly ambitious, I can't wait to see what this becomes (and hopefully help it become what it does). You guys at Simple Machine are some of my favorite devs, and I wish you the best in your ambitious endeavor.
08-08-2014, 08:07 PM
If it's like Godville then count me in. I play (read?) Godville everyday. Checking in on a self developing story sounds fun to me. In and out games are fun when you only have minutes to spare. =]
08-09-2014, 12:37 AM
Between this and MNT, I'd really like to find some definition of "game". I think I'll start writing a story and push the page turn and charge $1.99 USD for people to read it with no interaction. Ambition only goes so far, or is conditional givin how many on TA complain when they deem a game app "unfinished".