Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-08-2014, 11:05 AM

Default The Outcast

Old 08-08-2014, 11:06 AM

Has anyone tried this?
Old 08-08-2014, 12:35 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Been "playing" it since last night. Interesting concept, curious to see they go with it.

There really isn't any interaction, more like a randomly generated story you pop into the app to see what happened periodically throughout the day.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:47 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

don't quite understand what you "do" and also why is it 1.99 for a game you just "read". Just curious is all
Old 08-08-2014, 06:40 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Thanks for checking it out.

Sooo The Outcast is a game that we are developing with fans. We initially had this idea to make a game where the story unfolds through notifications. We thought about how much everyone hates notifications and wanted to see if we could come up with a way to use them to make an innovative game (this is how most ideas happen at Simple Machine -- misusing something, lol).

Well, that was a year ago. It sat and sat and sat, until this summer when we decided to move towards becoming a more transparent game studio (open sourcing code, showing more about how we make games, etc) and also once we decided to move on from making puzzle games to make story based games. We looked at all our game ideas that we could do this summer and felt like The Outcast was the best first step towards those goals.

Usually we work on a game in private, but with this game, we're looking for tons and tons of feedback from people while we build on it. We want to hear everything, what would be neat, what could be better, a character name, etc.

We've already received some really genuine feedback on it and as we're committed to bi-weekly updates on the game from here on out, we're already incorporating some of their feedback for our August 21st update.

The short answer is, yeah, for now, there isn't a lot of agency, but we feel like that's the best place to start, and based on what we've heard, our fans are agreeing. The end goal, for us, is to build this amazing game that innovates story telling on mobile devices, providing players with a deep story that slowly unfolds throughout their day to day moments over 6 months (maybe even a year). You'll explore the world, meet the people who live their, and ultimately decide your place there.

So ... welcome aboard! We hope you'll send us emails and bug us with cool ideas and feedback that will make this game the awesome creation we're envisioning
Old 08-08-2014, 07:09 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I haven't played this yet, but I'm intrigued. Reminds me of Godville.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:50 PM

Yeah, I'll have to wait a little while to see some more feedback. Looks interesting and it seems like it could be cool.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:00 PM

This seems incredibly ambitious, I can't wait to see what this becomes (and hopefully help it become what it does). You guys at Simple Machine are some of my favorite devs, and I wish you the best in your ambitious endeavor.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:07 PM

If it's like Godville then count me in. I play (read?) Godville everyday. Checking in on a self developing story sounds fun to me. In and out games are fun when you only have minutes to spare. =]
Old 08-09-2014, 12:37 AM

Between this and MNT, I'd really like to find some definition of "game". I think I'll start writing a story and push the page turn and charge $1.99 USD for people to read it with no interaction. Ambition only goes so far, or is conditional givin how many on TA complain when they deem a game app "unfinished".