Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2014, 10:20 PM
unexpect3rd's Avatar
unexpect3rd unexpect3rd is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Singapore
Posts: 161
Default "No IAP, No Ads, No B******T"

[not exactly posting a question, just hoping for a discussion]

The title quote was taken from the description of "One Tap RPG". As a matter of fact, there seem to be an increasing number of developers who would use such descriptions in their paid games. As I read an article somewhere (not sure if it was on TA or elsewhere), the writer implied that being a paid game (full content with no further IAPs within), is becoming a selling point.

Many indies had argued against IAP: saying for IAPs to be even remotely effective, the game had to be designed around them, and that would stifle creative game designs.

They argued against Ads: saying advertisements would break immersion.

Looking at the fate of THREES, a wonderfully designed paid game but got awfully overshadowed by free clones, I can only come to one conclusion: If you want a paid game to have a chance of commercial success, it must not be easily cloned. Vis-a-vis, if your game is simple, keep it free, or at least have a free version (case in point, Timberman? not sure if its a good example)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-11-2014, 02:54 AM
Destined Destined is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 738
Default

Personally I think having a free version is important and is one thing you can compete on. It is easy to have a paid version with no ads for those want want to support.

I want to get my games in the most hands possible, this means free is the only way. It may not be most profitable but it sure beats a small number of paid downloads which wouldn't cover development costs anyway.

I guess I avoid IAP cause I don't really have mechanics which suit it. I feel they would make my games less fun. I don't feel ads do that and I tend to think people are mostly understanding of ads if they haven't paid for it. If they have paid on the other hand they would be fuming if there were ads.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Xammond Xammond is offline
Member
iPad, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 32
Default

Having your game in many hands is all very nice but at the end of the day you are going to want to pay utility bills and eat more food. Apart from that it's a good idea to pay licenses and buy equipment. You might even find some new tax gets invented that really screws you up...

Yeah many hands does not make light worries.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-11-2014, 04:18 AM
Destined Destined is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xammond View Post
Having your game in many hands is all very nice but at the end of the day you are going to want to pay utility bills and eat more food. Apart from that it's a good idea to pay licenses and buy equipment. You might even find some new tax gets invented that really screws you up...

Yeah many hands does not make light worries.
Personally I don't think the small amount of money would make any difference over the chance to go viral.

For me I never worry about that since I have a full time job I love and I would have to make a lot to even get the stage I could consider a change (not that I would). Because I have the security of being paid I don't make choices based on it isn't paying the bills and anything I make is a bonus.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2014, 05:48 AM
Design by Adrian Design by Adrian is offline
Junior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: London / Stockholm
Posts: 19
Default

I think "No IAP, No Ads" as a selling point only works with dedicated gamers. Or hipsters. I hate IAPs, but I'd buy a game if it's good, not because it doesn't have ads or IAPs!

Personally, I'd prefer if all paid games had a demo version, or, better yet, a full mode which can be unlocked using IAP. That way I can try the game, and pay if I like it and want more. This way a developer could potentially get more buyers.

I also believe ads that can be disabled using IAP could potentially give developers a bit more cash than having the game completely free.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-11-2014, 05:56 AM
GreedPhantom GreedPhantom is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: France
Posts: 879
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design by Adrian View Post
I think "No IAP, No Ads" as a selling point only works with dedicated gamers. Or hipsters. I hate IAPs, but I'd buy a game if it's good, not because it doesn't have ads or IAPs!

Personally, I'd prefer if all paid games had a demo version, or, better yet, a full mode which can be unlocked using IAP. That way I can try the game, and pay if I like it and want more. This way a developer could potentially get more buyers.

I also believe ads that can be disabled using IAP could potentially give developers a bit more cash than having the game completely free.
As Ace Attorney Trilogy and Ghost Trick detective.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 AM
Xammond Xammond is offline
Member
iPad, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
Personally I don't think the small amount of money would make any difference over the chance to go viral.

For me I never worry about that since I have a full time job I love and I would have to make a lot to even get the stage I could consider a change (not that I would). Because I have the security of being paid I don't make choices based on it isn't paying the bills and anything I make is a bonus.
I seem to be in a good position! Where as I'm not used to relying on a decent wage and have become accustomed to turning off lights behind me etc...any income is good.

The topic of this thread is exactly how I went about things in 2010 with 'BubbleSand' launching at 99c. A year later I launched 'Tetroms' and almost immediately went completely free with no ads and no iap. For sure this time I am favouring the thread topic except with the addition of a 'lite' version (as mentioned elsewhere). But this discussion is tempting me to have one single version for free with the below options:

Play x amount for free. Then offer the player to continue with an ad banner, or pay a minimal fee to continue without one. An unobstructive button near the main menu would allow the upgrade at any time.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-11-2014, 01:49 PM
DyabitGames DyabitGames is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17
Default

Hello!

Talking from my own experience, customers are happy / aren't happy with any developer strategy so, in the end, developers should do whatever they think is right for their products and business.

If you release a paid game, people will complain / won't complain.
If you release a free + ads game, people will complain / won't complain.
If you release a free + IAP game, people will complain / won't complain.
If you release a free game, people will complain / won't complain.

No matter what you do: people will complain / won't complain. That happens in almost any creative job (games, music, art, etc.).

I prefer PAID model because ads aren't profitable unless you get massive downloads volume, and that's not easy for indie developers even being free and featured by Apple. Also, paid downloads usually come from people really interested in your type of game, so you're more likely to get better reviews and ratings.

But, as you said, in order to success with paid model, you have to release a fun, polished, high quality, original and unique game, "never seen before" and hard to clone.

Last edited by DyabitGames; 08-11-2014 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Fixing typos :D
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Destined Destined is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyabitGames View Post
Hello!



But, as you said, in order to success with paid model, you have to release a fun, polished, high quality, original and unique game, "never seen before" and hard to clone.
and market it well.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Xammond Xammond is offline
Member
iPad, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
and market it well.
This is the part which concerns me. As a one-man-band I find marketing to be extremely frustrating because I can put so much in to developing and get out what I put in, but try and get people's time is better left to the experts who have the connections and gift of the gab.

It takes me back a step to when I considered releasing two versions, as suggested. But iirc Apple were not keen on developers doing this?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent