★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: "SquirrelWarz: The Cutest RTS the World Has Ever Seen" - theiphoneappreview.com
"...very pinnacle of the iPad RTS " - geekdad.com/2014/08/real-time-strategy-with-squirrels

The squirrels have organized and chosen you as their leader! Gather resources, protect your home tree, and reclaim your territory with your own loyal army of furry fighters.

Great for beginners new to real time strategy games.
No ads.
Beautiful hand-drawn and watercolor animations.
Original soundtrack filled with melodicas, Marxophones, mouth harps and toy pianos.
Easy to learn and filled with our fun sense of humor.
Support for Game Center with Achievements and Leaderboards, with custom artwork for each one.
iPhone and iPad support.
No in app purchase. One price gets you 20 maps, and 2 breeds to play.

From the creators of Bob's Journey for the Sidekick... SquirrelWarz is a handcrafterd real time strategy mixed with casual game-play perfect for short and addictive games on the go. We've taken the best parts of strategy games and combined them with hand-drawn squirrels and painted watercolor backgrounds.

An army of squirrels is awaiting your orders. Do you have what it takes to lead your furry troops to victory?

About IGORLABS:

We are a group of designers, artists, and coders who handcraft unique apps that are quirky and fun. Got any requests, expansion ideas, or feedback? We'd love to hear it! Seriously, send it our way!

Please follow us on Twitter (and Vine) @squirrelwarz or check out our site for news, music, and our papercraft game http://www.squirrelwarz.com Or email us at hello@igorlabs.com

DocPop's comments:

Our new game is called SquirrelWarz and it's a bizarre mix of super cute hand painted art with surprisingly challenging real time strategy gaming. We are a small team of four in the Bay Area and we've been working on hand drawn games like this for a while (including The Mighty Decider app, which we made with the guys in The Mighty Boosh).

08-11-2014, 05:07 PM
I bought this one, the AI of your troops and controls are poor.

08-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrin View Post
I bought this one, the AI of your troops and controls are poor.
Thanks for checking it out! I'd love to hear more specific feedback if you have any, so we can improve it with our next release. What specific behavior did you notice in the AI that you didn't like?

Game designer on SquirrelWarz, Knifetank, and The Mighty Decider.
08-11-2014, 11:39 PM
I like the concept of this game, it's a cool idea to combine defense game with RTS. unfortunately, it looks like the enemy troops are smarter than our troops. They move faster than us. We gather the nut slower than enemy troops though i have used the collector one to collect the nuts. One more, why we should waiting for a while when dragging the troops, I wish you can remove the waiting time when we add more troops. Also it'll be better if we can upgrade our troops too and got nut reward for each enemy destroyed.

Game Center ID: copaeci
08-12-2014, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocPop View Post
Thanks for checking it out! I'd love to hear more specific feedback if you have any, so we can improve it with our next release. What specific behavior did you notice in the AI that you didn't like?
The concept is cool but it is very intensive in terms of micromanagement, for example your harvesters have to be reassigned once the tree has no more resources. I think they should go automatically to any close tree.

Also I find it hard to have some kind of defense. It looks like you have to select your units and tell them to attack the incoming squirrels.

Maybe all of this is part of the design and I am the wrong kind of customer ?
08-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by copaeci View Post
I like the concept of this game, it's a cool idea to combine defense game with RTS. unfortunately, it looks like the enemy troops are smarter than our troops. They move faster than us. We gather the nut slower than enemy troops though i have used the collector one to collect the nuts. One more, why we should waiting for a while when dragging the troops, I wish you can remove the waiting time when we add more troops. Also it'll be better if we can upgrade our troops too and got nut reward for each enemy destroyed.
Great feedback. The waiting for squirrels to build is just a classic feature of real time strategy games, so there's a good chance we did it that way because the games we love have it that way. The idea is to keep players thinking ahead instead of reacting to incoming attacks. That being said, I think we'll try experimenting with shorter wait times (or no waiting at all) and see how that feels.

Upgrading towers is something we'd like to do in a future version, but isn't ready for release yet. We hadn't thought about doing unit upgrades yet, but that's a cool idea! Maybe instead of upgrading the troops, we could hide power ups on the map that would level up certain types of units for the rest of the game.

As far as the enemy units go, they do technically move and harvest resources at the same exact speed as your units do. The catch is that a machine can manage them more efficiently than a human can, so it just seems faster. It can be a bit intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of managing the squirrels you'll start to find weaknesses to the computer AI that you can take advantage of.

08-15-2014, 01:27 PM
We've described most of the game's basic functionality in game's tutorial, but here are a few advanced tips that can make micromanaging your units a little easier:
  • Double tapping on a unit selects all units of that type. ie If you want to bring all your Warriors into a battle, double tap on one Warrior, then select where you want to send them.
  • To select all units on your screen, double tap on any unoccupied area.
  • To quickly return the camera to back over your Home Tree, tap on the brown nut on the top left hand side of the screen.
  • You can tap anywhere on the mini map (top right hand side of the screen) to move through the map quickly.
  • For more screen real estate, you can tap on the wooden stick along the right hand side of the screen to open/close the sidebar.

Last edited by DocPop; 08-15-2014 at 01:30 PM. Reason: trying to get the list to show up correctly... failing.
10-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Version 1.1 is out now and I think you guys are going to love it. Big thanks to BlueTrin and copaeci for sharing their thoughts here on the forum. Here's what's new:

Easier maps - By easier I mean two things, we've created a new less aggressive version of of our AI and we've stacked some of these maps to make them easier for new players.

Smarter foragers- One of my favorite new changes is how foragers work. We have three behaviors now; gather, stay, or repair. When you tell a forager to start gathering, they'll automatically move from tree to tree whenever one runs empty. If you tell a squirrel to repair a structure, they'll stay on repair duty, etc. This is much better than the old micromanagement system.

new maps - These are great. I think Gray Area is a good map for beginners.

We'd love to hear your thoughts on the updates.

10-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Squirrel Awareness Month

In honor of Squirrel Awareness month (which I swear is a real thing) SquirrelWarz is temporarily free. Get it now!

We are also working on our desktop and iPhone versions.