★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Excellent line-drawing physics puzzler Sliding Sam, iPhone + iPad $1.99>0.00

08-12-2014, 03:02 AM
Excellent line-drawing physics puzzler Sliding Sam, iPhone + iPad $1.99>0.00

The following app info is for the iPad version. Link to the iPhone version below! Spoiler alert! Don't look at the provided screenshots—they are showing 17 perfect solutions! (There are some spoiler-free screenshots below.)

iPhone version here:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/sliding-sam/id541437006?mt=8

The iPad version is free for the first time and was US$1.99 all the time before. I literally couldn't stop until I was almost through with Sliding Sam (what's a rare thing believe me) and got all stars. Perfectly crafted level design and difficulty balance (ramps up @ #15). Some levels are pretty hard but never unfair. The levels are short enough so you won't miss an erase or save function. But be precise!

Extra challenge in chapter three: Restricted line-drawing areas—challenge and benefit at the same time! Wait: There are obstacles (walls), boxes to move, funny red tempo-boost fishes, three stars, time bonus, line bonus (great replay appeal for higher score), keys for cages and—of course—birds that can't fly. Twelve motivating Game Center achievements and one highscore list. Cute!

Hidden Gem Alert! Highly recommended! Tested on iPad Air. Sad that they had to switch off the video sharing feature (according to update info)—wouldn't that have been great? Can't await the next 20 levels! (There is already a place holder for Chapter 5.) Wishlist: Turn off music separately (keep effect sounds).

Other threads: iPad, iPhone, earlier sale of the iPhone version (almost nothing in it).

Love the Pachinko (Wikipedia) reminiscences of some levels:

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)

Last edited by Habakuk; 08-13-2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Made and added some spoiler-free screenshots
08-12-2014, 03:22 AM
A fun game. Have played it and we like it too much.

Pine Entertainment

08-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Looks pretty cool. Like line rider with more purpose. Thanks for the heads up.

-nightc1
This gamer runs on premium games.
08-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Yup! Quite fun
08-12-2014, 06:29 PM
one of my favorites... though now I am wondering why I bought this in the first place
08-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy85 View Post
one of my favorites... though now I am wondering why I bought this in the first place
To support the devs!
08-12-2014, 10:12 PM
I've put some time in with this and I think the major flaw with it (on iPhone 4S) is the same as other line drawing games, my finger covers too much of the screen this making precision drawing a difficult thing. It's a good game but ultimately in the higher levels I don't feel like I have the precision required to draw perfect enough lines without it being frustrating to the point of being unenjoyable. I'm about 1/2 way through chapter 2 and am already considering this a delete. I bet its better on iPad where there's a little more real estate to work with.

This reminds me of World of Goo. I loved it on wii but found the iOS version unenjoyable for the same finger in the way of precision issue. Ultimately I feel like the Steam version is the best of that game as the controls are just perfect. I bet this would be more fun with a mouse on PC/Mac.
08-13-2014, 12:46 AM
fun game

fun game, good puzzler. thanks for sharing.
08-13-2014, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
I've put some time in with this and I think the major flaw with it (on iPhone 4S) is the same as other line drawing games, my finger covers too much of the screen this making precision drawing a difficult thing. It's a good game but ultimately in the higher levels I don't feel like I have the precision required to draw perfect enough lines without it being frustrating to the point of being unenjoyable. I'm about 1/2 way through chapter 2 and am already considering this a delete. I bet its better on iPad where there's a little more real estate to work with.

This reminds me of World of Goo. I loved it on wii but found the iOS version unenjoyable for the same finger in the way of precision issue. Ultimately I feel like the Steam version is the best of that game as the controls are just perfect. I bet this would be more fun with a mouse on PC/Mac.
I'd second this.
08-13-2014, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecan View Post
I'd second this.
Thirded?

Oh and when you retry, why does it completely erase your lines?? I'd like to retry and then tweak a part of the line that isn't working instead of having to start over.

Also an option to switch to "eraser" mode to erase certain parts of the lines would be nice.