★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Devilishly hard and diabolically addictive game of jumping, fighting, and surviving!

* NEW! 16 levels and a boss fight!
* NEW! 4 characters to fight evil with!
* NEW! 8 weapons to unlock and use!!

Get a taste of the ninja life by dodging moving traps, getting past difficult obstacles and fighting forces of evil in Shurican!

Features

* tons of obstacle dodging, jumping and demon fighting
* endless survival mode, where you get more points for kills!
* a big and well crafted challenge level for those, who are tired of endless jumping
* both melee and ranged combat
* plenty of ninja-related achievements
* leaderboards to prove your friends that you've got most skill
* small, cute but very deadly ninja character!
* plenty of deaths and rage, but super fast restart - jump back to the game instantly!
* blood and screams of your enemies!

Control your little hero with mighty finger taps to jump over moving sawblades and spikes, swing a deadly-sharp katana in the faces of irritating imps, and time your strikes right to block demon axe-hammers and knock them back to the fires of the Hell from which they came! Dont forget to toss your shuriken- these handy metal stars are perfect for being rid of fireballs and ranged enemies. Beware of sneaky jumping headcrabs and dodge them before they stick to the grab hold of your valiant ninja and drag him down to the inferno..

Master all the deadly ninja skills, snipe enemies from a distance, push them to the spikes- be ready to do whatever it takes to survive the longest in the Shurican when you play the endless mode- if you can kill off the most enemies, youll power to the top of the leaderboards and prove to your friends that you can survive Hell if youve got your katana at the ready.

Had enough of the endless mode? Check out the good old fashioned campaign through Dangers of hand-crafted hell dungeon in the challenge mode, where a reward awaits at the toughest and the swiftest ninjas the end of their journey. Be ready to die a lot, get angry, rage at your mobile device and, memorize trap positions, make rewarding dodges, dont take the easy routes (thats not your ninja way). Toughen up and beat the game!

SnoutUP's comments:
Good day, everyone!

Today is the day of my first TA post and my first iOS release, so I'm both happy and scared about both of these things. I'm Aurimas, a solo hobbyist/indie game developer from Lithuania and it's nice to meet you!

My game is called Shurican. It's an adaptation of well known and well cloned mechanics, but with less pipes and more fighting, enemies, ninja stars, headcrabs, obstacle variety... and explosions. At the moment it has one hand-crafted challenge level and an endless pseudo-randomized mode.

It's free and has few ads (misplaced banner in main menu and a possibility of interstitial every 20 deaths, so getting better at the game means you'll see less ads).

If you want to try it out to see if it's something you'd like to waste a couple megabytes of your space, there's a browser version available: http://snoutup.itch.io/shurican

Recently updated:

A short & blinky gameplay montage:

I cheated by increasing difficulty while recording this to get a better action sequence out, so challenge level, which has only one enemy type might seem a bit bland after seeing this...

Many players find double-tap throw too risky, hard to aim and useless, so my tip would be: dive down a bit before using it. It's a great tool to neutralize enemy fireballs before they reach the ninja. There's also a tap&hold downwards slash, which adds knockback (useful while fighting melee enemies), but is more or less for fancy ambushes from above.

I don't feel like I'm done with it content-wise, so ideas for new obstacles, enemies, traps, powerups or mechanics are welcome. I do have a couple of pages of them already, but there's never enough of good ideas!
08-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Gameplay

Welcome to TouchArcade!

I played with the game for a couple of minutes and I think it's okay but not quite refreshing. It does have room for more content as you said. You could probably expand with more challenge levels with different enemies and backgrounds then introduce those to the endless mode.

Thoughts on upgrades? Sword range (or wave attack), number of shurikens, piercing shurikens, bonus points for killing a certain way, etc.

Saw the writing on the wall saying hold for a charged attack but didn't really mess with it. Is it for the weapon-wielding demon?

Game Center/Steam/PSN: Echoen
How to: embed [youtube] vids | Using [AppInfo]
My Youtube channel
08-13-2014, 06:13 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to SnoutUP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoen View Post
Welcome to TouchArcade!

I played with the game for a couple of minutes and I think it's okay but not quite refreshing. It does have room for more content as you said. You could probably expand with more challenge levels with different enemies and backgrounds then introduce those to the endless mode.

Thoughts on upgrades? Sword range (or wave attack), number of shurikens, piercing shurikens, bonus points for killing a certain way, etc.

Saw the writing on the wall saying hold for a charged attack but didn't really mess with it. Is it for the weapon-wielding demon?
Hey, thank you so much for the welcoming and for the video! I do agree that at the current state is not an "awesome game", more like a time waster for a couple of minutes. Hopefully, more content will change that.

The charge attack is the one which already had "wave attack", but I removed it (it was OP as hell) and now it only does knockback (useful in melee, since you can push those more powerful demons in to the sawblades or make yourself some room to prepare the next attack/block). Yet, there's no real need to use it and it's more like a crowd pleaser for better players, since you can do kills like this (feels quite good):

Already have some interesting stuff prototyped, just need to join it all together in a set of shorter levels. Like, environmental kills:

... or volcanoes:
10-09-2014, 04:42 AM
Good news! Shurican just got an approved update, which should fix iOS8 crash it had before and also adds 5 new mini-levels to the table.

Try it out and beat those 5 levels until the follow up update with 3 more levels (hard!) and a boss fight (harder!) will be published:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shurican/id895045580?ls=1&mt=8
10-19-2014, 05:05 AM
Update with 3 new levels (harder)! And... ta-dadadaaaa... A boss fight is live!

03-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Shurican was recently updated! It finally has unlockable weapons and characters. You can play with a piglet wielding a chainsaw or a demon with a shotgun. Also, now it has 12 levels total and all existing levels were updated with more "natural" obstacles (walls and rocks). Minor graphical improvements as well as sweet new icon are present too.