What's happened to New Apps in the iOS App Store?!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ev2014, Aug 13, 2014.

1. ev2014

ev2014 Member

Aug 11, 2014
    I've recently launched a new app (I have launched 5 previously) and was astonished and shocked to find that there is no longer a 'New' section within individual categories anymore.

My app is normally featured in all 155 stores as a new app and for some reason it is featured on itunes 1 time.

What is going on? This is a hideous change?

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Whats the app name?

That shouldn't be the case. Maybe you accidentally released it early and then took it off market.

3. ev2014

ev2014 Member

Aug 11, 2014
    It is WhatChat! Its in social networking.

4. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Quite some time ago Apple did away with the "new releases" view within categories, replacing it with "Top Grossing." Most of the apps there, as you might expect, are freemium titles loaded with IAP.

The only new apps that are easily discoverable on devices are the handful of "New & Noteworthy" apps handpicked by Apple's editorial board - but even that feature (if one is fortunate enough to land it) only lasts a week - it's a stepping stone to charting.

5. endodoug

endodoug Well-Known Member

I just released one yesterday - part of an optimal release day personal experiment I'm working on. It was listed in several new categories. So I'm not sure what you did wrong. Did you let it release immediately after approval?

[​IMG]

6. ev2014

ev2014 Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Can I contact apple support or apple in any way? Does anyone have an email address?

7. ev2014

ev2014 Member

Aug 11, 2014
    By the way yes, i set the release date from the day it was uploaded.

8. endodoug

endodoug Well-Known Member

Check out this video http://vimeo.com/75069042

It makes a lot of sense to manually release your game, so it rolls through all the app stores at the beginning of the day in each location.

9. ev2014

ev2014 Member

Aug 11, 2014
    My goodness - all of our previous apps were featured in every store with other apps that we've released. This is unbelievable.

How did Facebook release their app Slingshot a couple of months ago and then remove it from being visible on the store, to then release it a week later to maximum visibility?

10. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    Pretty sure that new app only show up in the featured section of games sub categories. All the other categories have their own featured pages now, so don't show the new content.

Not that being listed here has really ever helped me get downloads, maybe 2 years ago it did. But now it changes so fast that I don't think anyone see it. Much better to try and target key search terms, and promote to your own social network of followers.