Will Ipad Only games be playable on the 5.5" iphone 6?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by DanRiverBrew, Aug 13, 2014.

1. DanRiverBrew

DanRiverBrew Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Hi all,

I know this isn't a specific game, but does anyone know if the 5.5" iPhone 6 will be able to play iPad games? I'm hoping by upgrading to that phone I can use it to play iPad games without having to buy a new iPad too.

I'm hoping since the 5.5" is considered a phablet it will support iPad only games.

2. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Doubt it.
    The iPhone 6's display resolution is rumored to be around 1704x960px. That's still much lower than the iPad and a completely different aspect ratio.

3. DanRiverBrew

DanRiverBrew Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Thanks for the info, despite it being sad news for me :)

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I've been wondering this all along. Fingers crossed, but can't see anything in the media rumours about it. No ones thought that far ahead. Would be amazing if it does.

5. CrossbowRules

CrossbowRules Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2014
    I know right! I'm hoping this would be the case as well.

6. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Looks like Vainglory will be playable.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #7 Vovin, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    Afaik, Apple already denied a possible future compatibility of iPad-only games or apps for iP6/iP6+.
    And it's really self-explanatory. Who would buy an iPad in the future if he can access all iPad games / apps on his iPhone 6(+)? Apple wouldn't ruin business for itself. Of course they wanna sell iPhones AND iPads and wouldn't make the iPad obsolete.
    Vainglory needs to get his own port for iPhones.

The only possible thing someone can do is to make an app iPhone-compatible. Like Heathstone. But I guess you need to jb for that and mess around with the code in the app.

8. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    People (like me) who would choose a 10" iPad over an iPad mini.

That said, I don't think it will happen because of the different aspect ratios - and it developers have to start catering to iPhone 6+ users then they'll really not be making use of the screen real estate for the bigger iPads.