What ever happened to Mad Catz CTRL i?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Revlution4ever, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Revlution4ever

Revlution4ever New Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Disappeared since E3. They first said April, then summer. With that quickly disappearing, when can we expect this thing if ever?

2. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    It's still coming, along with 5-10 other MFi controllers. I wouldn't expect too long of a way from now. Apple has a major event in early September, and it's possible some manufactures are waiting for that...

3. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    I just saw on the website store that this isn't for pre order anymore and actually for sale. Anyone get theres yet? Would love impressions. Also anyone know if they are in stores already or will be?

4. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I hadn't realized the MFi standard didn't include click-sticks.

(Although I'd never want that for important/frequent actions, I often use it during Mac gaming for less-common functions like Toggle Prone.)

I like the idea of a separate phone attachment--skip it for iPad use, but if you also want to use a phone (without video-out) sometime, there's your solution.

5. stlredbird

May 21, 2009
    So no one has this yet? Would be great to see a full review from Jared or something.

6. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    for what it's worth, I ordered one from Amazon, 59.00 and change. One of our members posted a YouTube video review ( I wish I could find that thread) and that's what convinced me. And I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I don't use it all the time, and I'm not used to a controller so I need to get into it more, but I will say that it works very well, fits my hands, and doesn't seem "cheaply" made like I've heard about a lot of other units. It's a solid piece of equipment. The phone holder has a spring clamp and I can easily get my Otter-boxed 5s in it no problem. The main issue is keeping up with games as they update to this equipment. However, if you like Donut Games (and really who doesn't) most of them have been updated for mifi and they are a lot of fun with it. So that's my .02 for now. I'll try to find Steve's thread and post it.

7. stlredbird

May 21, 2009
    Cool thx :) I was hoping to get this at a store but I don't see it anywhere so I'll probably just order it.

8. stlredbird

May 21, 2009
    Went ahead and ordered one :) I'll give my impressions when I get it!

9. Supagoat

Supagoat Member

Apr 9, 2013
    #11 Supagoat, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    I got my Micro C.T.R.L. yesterday. I love it. Build quality is good, it's lightweight, and it holds my 6 with case at a good angle.

It opens up a whole new world of iOS gaming for me since I'm not a fan of touchscreen controls in action games. OK, I did enjoy Wayward Souls with touchscreen play but it's SO MUCH better with the controller.

I did have one hiccup, which was that I exited out of the game and let my phone go to sleep with the controller on. It then turned itself on, but when I went to play again a minute later something was messed up and it wasn't recognized by the game or the Mad Catz app, but general settings said it was connected. I just popped one of the controller's batteries out and put it back in and turned it on again and all was well. UPDATE: Based on http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=204136&page=168 it looks like this is a general problem with bluetooth pairing with iOS.

I'm super excited now. If you enjoy any type of fast paced game you need to buy a controller and support developers who support them so we get more awesome games!

You can order from Mad Catz directly, or also from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/C-T-R-L-i-Mobile-Gamepad-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B00NSGA1K2

10. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Has anyone tried an iPhone 6 Plus with Apple's silicone case? Is super tight (leaves marks on the case)? Impossible?

The case seems to be JUST over the 3.17" width limit; however the way the C.T.R.L.i's grips taper makes me think a thin enough device might be able to be a little larger than 3.17" and still fit.

I really like the idea of a 5.5" screen attached to a nice console controller!