Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 08-19-2014, 12:17 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Anti-Virus for Windows XP?

So I have this old Windows XP (SP3) laptop, I hadn't been using it for a while, but now I'm dusting it off, and I'm gonna use it for some basic stuff. I'm looking for a good free Anti-Virus that runs on XP. I heard Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't support XP anymore, so clarify that for me, too, 'cuz if it is still supported I'll just use that. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2014, 12:28 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

I haven't used Antivirus in years I personally think the cure is worse than the disease and with a little common sense you will never get a virus anyway.

The one piece of software I do recommend running now and again is malwarebytes I see no reason for needing anything else but if your paranoid run the eset online scanner now and again.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I haven't used Antivirus in years I personally think the cure is worse than the disease and with a little common sense you will never get a virus anyway.

The one piece of software I do recommend running now and again is malwarebytes I see no reason for needing anything else but if your paranoid run the eset online scanner now and again.
Oh yeah, malwarebytes. That's a good one. You think I'd be safe with just malwarebytes, then?
Old 08-19-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjackid View Post
Oh yeah, malwarebytes. That's a good one. You think I'd be safe with just malwarebytes, then?
Well that's all I do and I've gotten away with it for years, anytime I feel a bit paranoid I do run the eset online scanner just to be sure but I haven't had anything for years now.

Saying that though I do end up removing a lot of Malware/Toolbars/etc from family PC's and I'm not sure how they manage to get them like that but I'd say if your a smart user you have nothing to worry about just be careful what you install and avoid using Internet Explorer if possible.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:03 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
with a little common sense you will never get a virus anyway.
No. And we're talking about malware in general, not just viruses.

Perhaps a few years ago, but now? No. Unequivocally no. It's so easy to pick up malware visiting even reputable sites, through bad links, ads that might redirect you/run auto scripts, hacking attacks (this is a lot more prevalent now), phishing, the list goes on and on and on.

I recently cleaned out a computer never used for anything but visiting reputable news sites and Amazon, over 200 infections. Had to wipe the entire thing. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Nin, you absolutely do need an antivirus, Malwarebytes free is decent but only works after you get infected. Pick up Avast! or AVG, both have free versions and work well. I prefer Avast. Adblock for disabling autos scripts and also ads is also a wise move. Also ditch Internet Explorer if you haven't already, it has too many security holes. In addition to being slow, ugly and a crappy browser.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post

Perhaps a few years ago, but now? No. Unequivocally no. It's so easy to pick up malware visiting even reputable sites, through bad links, ads that might redirect you/run auto scripts, hacking attacks (this is a lot more prevalent now), phishing, the list goes on and on and on.

I recently cleaned out a computer never used for anything but visiting reputable news sites and Amazon, over 200 infections. Had to wipe the entire thing. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Nin, you absolutely do need an antivirus, Malwarebytes free is decent but only works after you get infected. Pick up Avast! or AVG, both have free versions and work well. I prefer Avast. Adblock for disabling autos scripts and also ads is also a wise move. Also ditch Internet Explorer if you haven't already, it has too many security holes. In addition to being slow, ugly and a crappy browser.
Sup, Juhb. Yeah, I've used Avast in the past before switching to MSE. It seemed to work decently. And yeah, IE sucks.

EDIT: Looks like Avast! will still be supporting XP, too. Maybe that is the way to go.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:39 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

If you're going to use it for basic stuff, why not run ubuntu instead of xp? Not that viruses don't exist on linux, but it is less vulnerable to many things, especially since xp isn't updated regularly anymore.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbowling View Post
If you're going to use it for basic stuff, why not run ubuntu instead of xp? Not that viruses don't exist on linux, but it is less vulnerable to many things, especially since xp isn't updated regularly anymore.
Because I'm a big numbskull when it comes to things like switching to Ubuntu.

That would be a great idea, though, if I had the slightest idea on how if go about doing that.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:36 PM

I found this thing the other day called the google
Old 08-20-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post

I call bull in honesty, with you claiming over 200 infections from visiting common websites it's pretty apparent your talking about nothing more than cookies or you have installed something pretty dodgy.

To put a real virus on a machine you need an exploit or the user to do it himself the latter is almost always the case and if it's the former it's trivial to kill the antivirus also.

Antivirus is almost always a complete waste of resources not to mention the money, I've nothing against people installing it if it makes them feel better but it's really a false security.