C64 games you wish would have a mobile port

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jerrnej, Aug 20, 2014.

1. jerrnej

jerrnej Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Lead Guitar
    Maribor
    There's a bunch of games I really liked playing on C64 back in the day. Wizard Of Wor (super gameplay and music). Out Run (awesome music). Ghostbsters. River Raid. Load Runner ...

But there's one C64 game I'd really like to play on my iPhone. Aztec challenge.
    The gameplay is really simple, but there's something about the whole package (the looks, the story, the music/sfx) that makes the game special for me (nostalgia is an important factor here also, of course :)).
    Ever played that game?

You have any C64 titles of your own you think would fit the touchscreen well?

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    River Raid has been on the appstore at least twice.

All of these have been loadable in C64 emulators (non-JB) and Wizard of War and Out Run loaded in iMame when it was avaliable.

Music for all of these can be listened to in Modizer (C64 and arcade versions)

3. jerrnej

Mar 12, 2014
    Lead Guitar
    Maribor
    Are these still available? Can't find any in the Appstore .. :confused:

4. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    anything with a rob hubbard soundtrack, but I still love Minter, Braybrook (Paradroid, Uridium and Gribbly's Day Out especially), and I always had a soft spot for Tony Crowther (potty pigeon, suicide express, william wobbler etc).
    Always thought Mercenary would translate well to iOS.
    i did love my old commodore 64 and as your man says above they can pretty much all be emulated well on the iPad on a jb or non-jb device.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well dont throw stones at me but i admit i'm a Speccy man ;)

But its great you can add your own games to Spectaculator or the C64 app. As for River Raid the best version has to be the Atari 2600 which you can buy via the Activision Anthology app.

Out Run for me runs like a dog on Gridlee (MAME) on my iphone 4s. Shame as its one of my favourites. But the 'remake' Final Freeway (1 and 2) are excellent homages to it

I did actually enjoy the Ultima IV C64 app which was free and released a while back by Elite but due to their 'behaviour' i think that apps been pulled.

But iOS is a great platform for retro gaming, i'm jailbroken so i have all the emulators and do enjoy playing various retro classics from the 80's whenever i want

6. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Aztec Challenge beat me about the head and the face as a child. IIRC, it even scared me lol.

7. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    One game that helped define survival horror and scared me ****less-Project Firestart.

8. jerrnej

Mar 12, 2014
    Lead Guitar
    Maribor
    True that! The SFX could be quite scary :D

9. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    C64 ports.. Ohh far far too many to list them all, but a few off the top of my head:-

Elite
    EOS
    Rescue on Fractalus
    Hero
    Bruce Lee
    Wizball
    Impossible Mission
    Ghostbusters
    Ultima IV and V
    Paradroid
    Neuromancer
    Racing Destruction Set

And anything by Microprose

10. Gordon Bennett

Gordon Bennett Active Member

Aug 21, 2014
    There are loads of C64 (and Spectrum as well) games that I adore. But as I am one of those people who can't work touchscreen gamepad buttons at all, only a few of them would work for me on an iDevice. They would have to be slower paced games that suit choosing and tapping over even the most forgiving joystick/action (such as Mercenary).

With that in mind, my first choice would be Alter Ego. Which, as it so happens, is available already. Which is nice. After that, I'd go for Little Computer People, Portal and the two Adrian Mole text adventures.

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #11 drelbs, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    Only Modizer.

...and how could I forget the Activision Anthology?

I'm proud to report that I got to the point I could make it 2-3 rounds through Aztec Challenge. The theme song is permanently burnt into my memory. Man, those old Cosmi games had memorable music.

There's a decent port of Elite, it's called Unknown - Space Trader.

Sword of Fargoal Legends is a bit different from the original, but still good.

And while it's a port of the Speccy version - Lords of Midnight was on the C64 and the iOS remake is fantastic!

12. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    i just listened to rob hubbards's monty on the run theme tune on youtube and it almost brought a tear to my eye. That sid chip was actually quite something.

13. Stormourner

Stormourner Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    aaaawww yes!! this game really needs to be ported to iOS :D

14. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    Aside from the many great CRPGs from that era (most notably Pool of Radiance and Champions of Krynn), I would really like to see an iOS native port of Fist II (side scrolling adventure sequel to Way of Exploding Fist). It may already be the game I play most on my jailbroken devices via c64.emu anyway, but a native port would be super sweet.

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    My favorite memory of this game dates back from Middle School. Our C64 lab was a room full of 'em, all attached to amber/green monitors except for the instructors, which had a proper Commodore monitor with sound. One day I put Fist II in there, started booting it and cranked the volume to max. Stepped outside and ~2 minutes later, "HHHEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!" :D

16. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    I'm not sure it would translate that well to touch screen, but citadel was always one of my favourites. I remember following the dev's articles of its development in a magazine back in the day... possibly zzap64?

17. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Bruce Lee, but that was really only fun two player. SIlkworm was actually pretty decent.

And just for nostalgia as they were rubbish games but I loved them,

Nemesis the Warlock - Not intentional but it was like an early minecraft but you built your barricades out of bodies
    Judge Dredd - This was terrible, but loved it.

18. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I forgot Rick Dangerous.

19. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    FIST II is one game I've wanted to remake since I first played it in 1986. Near the top of my really-want-to-do list.

20. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I guess the c64 emulator is out of the store for good, abandoned, never to return?

I hate disposable games, that could have been a nice little museum.