Progressing through iOS Games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by danieljk12, Aug 20, 2014.

1. danieljk12

danieljk12 Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Hi everyone,

I am pretty confident when I say that I am not the only one who suffers from impulse buying on the App Store. When I see a game that gets a great review, I instantly wanna go get it (and oftentimes do). What ends up happening is that I have an overwhelming amount of good games on my phone and I never come close to finishing them.

How do you guys do it? I've thought about deleting all but one game and working through it till I finish it.

I know it's super random but I was just wondering what you all do?

Thanks!

2. imjhonfre

imjhonfre Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Well, I used to be like that too, but there just haven't been good releases in the past months that lasted more than 1 or 2 weeks on my iPhone unlike it used to be, so my backtrack list has been cleaned already, and now I am playing games as they come

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Ideally i should just put one game on my device at one time but i'm an 'app hoarder' ! I've got about 500 apps on my phone (64 gig) and so many favourites. One day i might want a shoot em up, another day a retro game etc etc.

I think it must come from my days in the 80's with a ZX Spectrum, waiting for 4 minutes for a game to load, even if the game wasnt great i had to play it as i'd just waited 4-5 minutes for it to load !

Now i can load games up instantly on my phone, a huge library of them, love it !

Reviews as they did in the 80's are a guide to a game, i dont instantly buy a 5/5 star game as tastes are different, i dont like runner games, flappy games, tilt games etc but i always read the reviews as sometimes you uncover a gem you might not have bought due to the screenshots or even the name.

Havent bought as many as i normally do the last few months (in my heyday i was buying 5 games a week at least) but theres still been some good uns filling up my spare space

4. CrossbowRules

CrossbowRules Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2014
    I think I played about 1/20 of the games I have. It's sad I know but I feel a different joy when I buy apps.

5. Toneaphone

Toneaphone Active Member

Jun 24, 2011
    So many apps are released at such a rapid rate, I think that has become and always will be the norm. Sometimes people won't play certain apps for months,but keep them on their phone nonetheless because they want to play it right away when the urge comes.

6. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Between freebies and whatnot I have well over 500 games I didn't get to finish or just play at all. And that's only on iOS (*cof* Steam *cof*).

7. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I keep having to delete games from my iPad because of lack of space (64GB). I keep a list on my iPhone of the ones I have deleted just for space reasons, when I have space I will redownload these and complete them. That's the intention anyway... My iPhone has also run out of space (32GB) although so far I've managed to only delete games I don't want to play again.

I sometimes think I should have got more storage, but I think no matter how much storage I had I would manage to fill it up with games I've never played!

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My current strategy to keep up with my purchases:

1. I have a soft-limiter on myself to BUY ONLY ONE TITLE PER WEEK. This will not include IAPs (i only buy episodes, full unlocks, and doublers. No consumables). Rarely, i buy 2 (only 3 times so far out of almost a year practicing this, coz the titles are just must-haves).

2. Have Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. This game makes me ignore games. That means purchases can be totally ignored, so that helped hold me back from buying more titles, to gether with the first one above. :D

3. MHFU can get stressful or tiring, or even irritating (connecting online can get very annoying), so it's a good time to play my backlog titles.

Because of this, i was able to finish quite a few titles already including Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the brawler one), Powerpuff Girls, VVVVVV, Monument Valley, Battleheart Legacy, Inferno+ (a few more times), Minigore 2 (maxed everything out), Jurassic Park and Trial of the Clone just to name a few, while getting huge progress on a few more titles like Lone Wolf, Kinghunt, Deep Loot and Adventure Time Time Tangle, while also enjoying the heck out of Pako, Spooklands, and a few more score chasers.

With how cheap iOS gaming is compared to PC or console gaming, it is quite difficult to put one's impulse buying, especially when they have been impulse buyers even back on the consoles. :p