Indie - How to survive?

08-22-2014, 12:22 AM
Indie - How to survive?

Hello,
This is not a thread of sharing my experience how an indie survive. This is accually my question.

As an indie, we have no salary, no money, no work place and we did a lot of work (I done 2 project before - 1Path and 5Numbers, i must design, code, drawing all by myself), but that's seem okay with me.

The hardest part of an indie is marketing, i think my game is quite okay as i receive many good review from my hometown. But outside of my country, no one know the game.

I searched for many way to marketing game for an indie and here is a few way,
i would love you guys can share your experience with me.
- Buy ads on some popular website: (TouchArcade for example) i never try before
- Buy ads on inside game or apps
- Buy tweet or facebook post
- Post thread on some popular forum
- Send press to reviewer (some free and some must paid)

Ofcouse we are indie and we don't have money =))) so tell me how you marketing your game with the lowest budget and does it success or not?

And many things else.
Please share your experience here
08-22-2014, 05:02 AM
I'm old fashioned and don't neccissarily agree with 'buying friends'. I think it's all about the game when We=I. In a store we want the best product we can get so it is better to invest time in being creative.

Maybe team up with someone who spends a lot of time being popular, while you do the technical side (brains and beauty).

08-22-2014, 07:11 AM
My advice is work so you have money until you have a business which can support you.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
08-22-2014, 07:32 AM
As an indie with 2 project i know the pain of marketing. We think our game is good, people around us gave compliment to the game, but the other - they never know the game, so this is a part of game development.
If we make a game then throw it on the Store and waiting ....? i think 99% we gonna fail
08-22-2014, 11:14 AM
I think Ketchapp are a good example of what to do if you are indie.
Both your games are very good by the way. 1Path looks like it did well for you too, published by Bulkypix
08-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRockGames View Post
Repackage open source projects and rush trending clones out as fast as possible... Every indie's dream.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: www.chaoticbox.com Twitter YouTube
08-22-2014, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticBox View Post
Repackage open source projects and rush trending clones out as fast as possible... Every indie's dream.
No, we never clone indie usually bring the unique and creative gameplay like tiny wings, duet game, ...

Creator of 1Path, 5Numbers game
08-22-2014, 10:38 PM
One way to build interest is by sharing your project with the world before it's completion. Engage people with your development process, so that when the game finally releases they feel like their were part of the journey of its creation

I am the Glorkian Warrior
08-22-2014, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRockGames View Post
Both your games are very good by the way. 1Path looks like it did well for you too, published by Bulkypix
I don't get it, how is KetchApp an example? they feel like just another indie studio

============================
Rotapix | 7 Pips | Run White Mouse Run |
Singularity - Modern Lights Out(NEW)
08-23-2014, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticBox View Post
Didn't know they were doing that. I was referring to them making simple apps that get into the top 5 in the app charts.