Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-26-2014, 06:31 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default Ninja Smasher! (by Rogue Ninja)

Last edited by PeteOzzy; 08-26-2014 at 06:38 AM..
Old 08-26-2014, 06:56 AM

A metroidvania, sweet. This looks preeetty good. Someone, TOFTT please
Old 08-26-2014, 06:59 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCho133 View Post
A metroidvania, sweet. This looks preeetty good. Someone, TOFTT please
Will do once it's out in the UK, I love Rogue Ninja so this is an easy purchase for me.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
Will do once it's out in the UK, I love Rogue Ninja so this is an easy purchase for me.
Awesome, thanks Pete
Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Official trailer

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Echoen; 08-26-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Old 08-26-2014, 10:07 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Impressions 10 minutes into the game:

This is indeed a metroidvania with skill moves and upgrades to find, rooms to explore, items to purchase, bosses to fight, and platforming to conquer.

It controls just like their first game, Ninja Striker. Tapping makes your little ninja 'jump' in that direction while spinning around with his sword sticking out which can hit anything close by. The real method of attack is to tap directly on a target which will make you home in and automatically slash it repeatedly until it dies. There's a lock on range and a jump limit but these can be improved. 5 minutes in, you'll find sandals that grant you the ability to double jump.

There's a new mechanic introduced early on where you swipe down while in the aur to do a Sephiroth-like downward stab to open switches or attack things (weak so I don't recommend that). Can't wait to see what other moves we can unlock.

Saving is done by finding a floating purple orb, usually in a small room. Shattering it restores your health and saves the game. That nostalgia. Oh, and there are up to 12 save slots. You start with one and can purchase more with IAP.

Around 10 minutes in, you'll find the first shop in the game to spend all the gold you've been picking up from mobs. The raccoon sells potions, throwing shurikens, a heart tank (heart+1) and a ninja scroll (SP+1). That must mean there are crazy ninjutsu skills. Edit: first one is a fireball attack that can damage enemies or light up candlesto open gates.

It's looking pretty great so far. Controls are unique but can mean trouble for others. Provided you're okay with tap to move, I can recommend this easily, especially if you loved Ninja Striker.

I'd have a video up but I'm still on the road. Sorry about that.

Last edited by Echoen; 08-26-2014 at 12:42 PM..
Old 08-26-2014, 10:29 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

If this were iOS6 and up it would be an instant purchase. I love Rogue Ninja and NinjaStriker... both of which are still on my 4S. But I gotta stick with 6 for now because of some older games I want to still be able to play without running out of memory. Oh well. This will be something to check out when I get my next iphone.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:30 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the imps Eck, you've got me excited. Controls might be a bit annoying, to me though, as I prefer traditional controls when it comes to metroidvanias.

Pete, as a fan of the dev, do you know if they're forum members? Would be nice to ask about the controls if I end up not liking them. I might be getting a bit ahead of myself.

Last edited by JCho133; 08-26-2014 at 10:40 AM..
Old 08-26-2014, 10:50 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCho133 View Post
Awesome. Thanks for the imps Eck, you've got me excited. Controls might be a bit annoying, to me though, as I prefer traditional controls when it comes to metroidvanias.

Pete, as a fan of the dev, do you know if they're forum members? Would be nice to ask about the controls if I end up not liking them. I might be getting a bit ahead of myself.
I'm pretty sure I've never seem them here, the descriptions for the games suggest they don't do a huge amount of PR outside of Japan. Just a guess though, their other games launched before I found TA so I could have missed them.

Cheers for the impressions Echoen, always good to know something you'll buy anyway will be worth the anticipation!
Old 08-26-2014, 11:36 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

I originally feared the Ninja Striker control system of touching where you want to move, but it works exceptionally well once you lock on enemies and look ahead for where you want to move next. It works so well that I would buy this game with no second thought if I had a device with iOS7 on it. It seems like the finger could get in the way but once you get going with it and get comfortable it becomes obvious that it's such a natural control scheme that makes it possible to play on levels high above what traditional control options allow. Speed running in Ninja Striker for high scores was a major joy because of this control scheme.