Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-26-2014, 07:34 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default Armies of Dragons (by Animoca)

Old 08-26-2014, 09:59 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

So it's basically a fairly slow-paced and uninspired 3 lane tug-of-war game. You collect different warriors to send out and have different element trainers to summon them from. For some reason though, the warriors elements are predetermined, which kind of undermines the idea of strategic countering. In addition, you need Facebook to use allies, and to unlock certain items, as well as to progress with certain side missions. There is a lot of IAP, from the usual filling the timer and buying currency, to buying permanent bonuses. This IAP is pretty expensive, but I'm not sure how necessary it is to progress later in the game.

Overall, it's a nice looking game with some real polish, but it's marred by some really poor design choices.

PS: it says NZ release, but it's out in Canada too.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:01 AM

It looks very neat ( love the art ), will it be releasing tn or is it a soft launch? Don't think I've played a game like this before.

Edit: out state side.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:16 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Just noticed that all the special currency unlocks are under one purchase choice. This means that when you try for a new unit, not only are playing the odds of getting a unit you don't already have, there is also the chance you'll get something entirely different such as a new base, upgrade, or other drop. This can be crippling early on when you really need more units, pushing the need to spend on IAP if you get poor drops, or simply be unable to progress.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:22 AM

Looks to be out worldwide then as it's in the UK too. Looks nice and sounds nice but not so sure after impressions
Old 08-26-2014, 11:49 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

The Gameplay:

Old 08-26-2014, 03:21 PM

Saw this article and thought gah another free iap love fest but no while looking the the app in iTunes no iap's was listed, so I thought cool started to download and while waiting for download I started to read this forum and saw that there are in fact iap and a lot of them.
Now after that ramble here's my ? Why wasn't the iap's listed on the iTunes app page.?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:37 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jForsythe View Post
Saw this article and thought gah another free iap love fest but no while looking the the app in iTunes no iap's was listed, so I thought cool started to download and while waiting for download I started to read this forum and saw that there are in fact iap and a lot of them.
Now after that ramble here's my ? Why wasn't the iap's listed on the iTunes app page.?
They only show once a single person in your region purchases one IIRC. It's a pain really.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:09 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I've played about a third of the stages now. The element-countering system is pretty much thrown away as so many creatures spawn in each lane of so many different elements, it devolves into simply spamming as many units as fast as you can. As I mentioned before, if you don't draw any additional units early on, you can't progress. By the same token, if you draw a lot of units, especially rare ones, the game becomes trivially easy.

I'm likely deleting this one soon, but it is a shame. The devs have some real polish here in terms of presentation, and some ideas that in theory could have worked well. Unfortunately, the freemium structure feels forced upon this title, and the attempt to include freemium elements has led to a rather generic game lacking in any real substance or strategy. I don't hate freemium titles as a rule, it just wasn't done well with this particular game.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
They only show once a single person in your region purchases one IIRC. It's a pain really.
Ye gods and little fishes! Really? I'm having difficulty in understanding the iTunes design decision there.

The App Store on iOS seems to behave differently - do you know if there, all IAPs are indeed (as I suspect, but don't know) shown from the outset?