★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: HoverBall - Just updated with obstacles and tilt sensing!

09-01-2009, 05:20 PM
HoverBall - Just updated with obstacles and tilt sensing!

Just updated to Version 1.1 (probably should have updated to Version 2.0 in retrospect, since I changed the gameplay a lot) and added obstacles! With obstacles, I've added tilt sensing to avoid the obstacles!

For anyone who had previously downloaded it and said it was too easy, there are now the obstacles and the game is overall more difficult on each level.

Unfortunately I do not have an updated video, because I can't just do a screen capture to show the new features and I have no other way of recording at the moment, but here is a video of the original for those of you who haven't seen it before.

Feedback is really appreciated, and I'm especially interested to hear from those of you who had previously played the game to hear your thoughts on it after the update. Thanks everyone!

I had previously edited and bumped my old thread, but the title didn't change so it misleadingly said "Free"..sorry to post again but I felt bad about that and wanted a more appropriate title.

Last edited by tv3636; 09-02-2009 at 12:18 PM.
09-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Well so far I have to say it's just ok...

Not bad but not great either... The gameplay is fairly simple, even though it took me 4 tries to figure out what i was supposed to do, once I got the hang of it I have no problem getting a 9000 score on medium. It gets pretty boring after about 5 min. and I don't see me really playing that much as it doesn't offer too much and only one level. Maybe different layouts with a maze like theme would be cool..? I like the music as it has a cool rebirth techno vibe to it, but the graphics and gameplay are just too stale right now IMO to actually warrant a purchase... If you were to ask me a year ago I would have to say it would have been great, but the appstore has progressed so much in that time that I feel a lot of the indie dev's are slowly falling behind the corperate monsters... But i think it could be greatly improved by adding levels with different layouts, and maybe powerups?...

09-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback Brian. Power-ups were something I considered, and for the next version I will probably try to add them. I received a comment on another forum that the instructions were confusing, so I'll try to fix them up too. I'm not sure if different layouts would really be do-able but I'll think about it. I may also try to update the game graphically with the next version as well, but I have no graphical talent so I'll need to get some help with that.
09-03-2009, 02:10 AM
A pleasant game ... but nothing more. A little boring too. Sorry , I'm not enthusiastic but I think it's better to be frank.

Finally I agree with Brian
09-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback and app store review Philsquirrel. The first version received a lot of "it's fun but too easy" comments so I had hoped this update would lead to some great reviews, obviously there's still much more that can be added though. I'll keep improving it and hopefully it'll keep getting more fun for you all