★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Star Nomad, a sandbox tribute to classic spacesims!

08-27-2014, 07:45 AM
Star Nomad, a sandbox tribute to classic spacesims!

G'day iOS gamers, I'm a solo indie dev from Melbourne, Australia. I've just launched a spacesim Star Nomad (App Store) I've been working on during this year.

Star Nomad (Youtube Trailer) is a top-down RPG/RTS sandbox tribute to classic spacesims of old such as Wing Commander: Privateer 1 & 2, Escape Velocity and Freelancer.

In Star Nomad, you roam free in the Wildlands Sector, immersed in a sci-fi noir setting rich in depth and humor. Be a neural data transporter, mercenary for hire, merchant trader, contraband smuggler evading the law or even a pirate making your fame/infamy & fortune.

Star Nomad is a sandbox at heart, but it's also story driven with an epic storyline that offers choices. If you love games such as Space Rangers, Space Pirates & Zombies, Eve Online, Drox Operative, Transcendence, FTL, you will probably love Star Nomad.

Features a minimlist UI with simple flight controls, everything is accomplished with one-touch, even intense dogfights & fleet combat.

Last edited by AH_Phan; 08-27-2014 at 07:48 AM.
08-27-2014, 08:11 AM

Video

Youtube link | Pop Up

08-27-2014, 10:45 PM
This will be interesting. Will post imps later
08-27-2014, 10:56 PM
This has my interest! Wondering how the pay model works and if it's as good as it looks..

Edit: Hmm.. This looks less than legit. It's on Steam from a dev called halfgeekstudio. Would love some insight!

Last edited by ScotDamn; 08-27-2014 at 11:05 PM.
08-27-2014, 11:15 PM
@scotdamn

http://indiegamemag.com/star-nomad-m...inal-frontier/

Quote:
Star Nomad is currently available for Android devices, Windows, Mac, and will be coming to iOS devices at a later date. The PC version can be found over at Indie Game Stand for only $2.95, and the Android version can be downloaded from the Google Play Store at no cost.
08-27-2014, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmvancouver View Post
Good heads up. I was just reading on indiegamestand the same, but they provided a link to this same game/developer.

https://indiegamestand.com/store/109...pgrts-sandbox/

Surprised Jcho hasn't commented on this yet...
08-28-2014, 04:15 AM
Wow, more than fair implementation of IAP in a free game. Dev has my Respect.

Last edited by dyscode; 08-28-2014 at 04:20 AM.
08-28-2014, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotDamn View Post
This has my interest! Wondering how the pay model works and if it's as good as it looks..

Edit: Hmm.. This looks less than legit. It's on Steam from a dev called halfgeekstudio. Would love some insight!
It's me, I'm a new solo indie dev from Melbourne, Australia. Nobody of any importance has heard of me because I am a nobody in this business. Even below a small fry.

But I can answer any queries you may have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotDamn View Post
Good heads up. I was just reading on indiegamestand the same, but they provided a link to this same game/developer.

https://indiegamestand.com/store/109...pgrts-sandbox/

Surprised Jcho hasn't commented on this yet...
That review was really well written, I had a good laugh, the writer certainly has flair. It was on the first build, still lacking in a lot of polish (even now, it could use even more polish I admit). Since then I've added a lot of graphics changes, as well as content. I recently released a big expansion doubling the overall story length for the PC/MAC/Android versions, and I'm working on it for iOS currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyscode View Post
Wow, more than fair use of IAP. Dev has my Respect.
I am a gamer first and foremost. You can play through it entirely without spending a dime, progression is all down to your ability as a pilot (risky missions, smuggling, pirating etc rewards more) or your mercantile ability (lots of trade routes are very profitable), and when you die, it's because you made a mistake. I don't believe in RNG being the main factor deciding your fate. If you like it and have spare $, then sure, throw some my way, it'll help me make Star Nomad 2.

Last edited by AH_Phan; 08-28-2014 at 04:30 AM.
08-28-2014, 04:40 AM
The game is amazing. I couldn't put my ipad down until my friends asked me to go for lunch.

Pine Entertainment
08-28-2014, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
The game is amazing. I couldn't put my ipad down until my friends asked me to go for lunch.
Oh crap I better hurry up with that expansion!