★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Tactics Maiden

08-27-2014, 09:13 AM
Tactics Maiden

Live on 28th for Android.

Originally Posted by niebau View Post

Tactics Maiden - Official Trailer

Youtube link | Pop Up

After more than one year of work, the successor of our Kingturn series is almost finished now.

Tactics Maiden is a fast-paced, turn-based strategy RPG where the player has to conquer enemy outposts scattered throughout the battlefield.

What sets Tactics Maiden apart is an exceptionally strong enemy AI, and flexible character builds with skill points that can be redistributed at will.

Each battle presents its very own challenges, so the player is constantly forced to refine his strategies and his army of heroes and mercenaries.
All player units are carried over from scenario to scenario, and the units can be customized to a high degree (complex skill system, more than 1000 equipable items, renaming units).

Tactics Maiden comprises a medieval fantasy story connecting all 84 scenarios, as well as 36 unique character classes, and over 60 special skills like 'Heal', 'Shield', 'Stealth', 'Weaken', 'Magic Missile' or 'Change Position'.

Thanks to its 5 difficulty settings that can be adjusted mid-game, Tactics Maiden is suited for both novice players and hardcore strategy gamers.

Tactics Maiden Features:

- Cloud support for game saves backup and synchronization (Dropbox and iCloud).

- Complex skill point system where skill points can be distributed and stacked up to 3 times among the unit’s attributes and special skills.

- 25 class abilities like 'Ranged Counter', 'Critical Hit Immunity', 'Undead Hunter', or 'Evade Counter'. Most of the class abilities can be acquired by other classes via rare or legendary items.

- Status effects like Poisoned, Silenced, Bewitched or Enraged.

- Plenty of post battle statistics for scenarios as well as individual units (tap on a character's portrait).

- Combat rating system with a humorous approach to analyze the player's performance and play style (Note: The initially planned 1 to 4 stars system was discarded during beta test by unanimous decision).

- Fast pace combat: Player units can be moved before the currently active unit has finished its action.

- Players can choose to micro manage every single unit manually, or automatically optimize skill points and equipment with a single press of a button.

Universal App

The first 8 scenarios can be played for free.
The full version can be unlocked with a one-time-payment of USD 4.99.

Tactics Maiden will be most likely released in July / August 2014, depending on the outcome of our closed beta test starting in about 2 weeks.

Tactics Maiden - Game Footage

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by undeadcow; 08-27-2014 at 09:20 AM.
08-27-2014, 09:16 AM
I’ve sent over 80 hours playing Tactics Maiden in the past month, but maybe biased since the Kingturn series (from same developer) are favorites of mine and from beta participation. In my opinion Tactics Maiden is one of the best mobile releases so far this year. You won’t find a game with more capacity to challenge, ability to customize solutions, and depth on mobile.

Levels are puzzle-like with environmental barriers requiring different solutions (you can’t just bash your way through but need to be smart due to enemies on all fronts or other details). One of the coolest things is how devious the enemy artificial intelligence is; beneath all the strategy elements Tactics Maiden might be an enemy AI simulator most of all and the developer seemed especially focused on crafting a smart intelligence system. There are 80+ scenarios, which can be played in bit sized chunks – most levels took me 15 – 60 minutes to play. Autosave is great so if you need to pick up a game where you left off later it’s seamless.

The diversity of character classes makes it feel like there are plentiful options; it’s impossible to use all accessible characters in one level. Tactical variety is highlighted by all the equipment (there are multiple types of same tiers items – ex: with armor you can protect against two but not all of the damage types so need to chose wisely because there is often a weakness – bows, physical, or magic); nevermind loot giving bonus abilities/buffs at times. There are a ton of special abilities (based on MP) that offer different styles even within the same character class along with certain class buffs (i.e. mages have a chance of surviving otherwise fatal blows with 1HP). Plot-wise I found the story to be good but at times stalls with so many scenarios.

Tactics Maiden is essential to try if you enjoy mobile gaming; for $4.99 it’s a bargain but it may not be for everyone. One key is the ability to adjust difficulty to your taste (I recommend 4 for strategy fans, you can decrease/increase at any time). After each level there are plentiful statistics. Definitely give Tactics Maiden a shot, highly recommended - it's better than the Kingturn games were (and Kingturn/etc is great).

Last edited by undeadcow; 08-27-2014 at 11:06 AM.

08-27-2014, 10:14 AM
Skill Point System

Thanks a lot for creating a dedicated Android thread, undeadcow.

One of Tactics Maiden's central features is its skill point system.

Leveling up through combat experience yields 1 skill point for even levels and 2 skill points for odd levels.
These skill points can be used to boost either the unit's attributes (HP, Atk, Pow,...) or one or more of its 4 class skills (in this example 'Charge', 'Shield Allies',...).

Each skill or attribute can be boosted up to 3 times which results in 4 stages:
Stage 0: no skill points invested
Stage +1: 1 skill points invested
Stage +2: 2 additional skill points invested
Stage +3: 3 additional skill points invested

In other words, 6 skill points are needed in total in order to max a particular skill or attribute. While stage 3 is usually the most rewarding one, the player is often better off with splitting skill points among several skills and attributes instead of maximizing just 1 or 2. This is especially true during early levels where fewer skill points are available.

It is also noteworthy that skill points can be reset and redistributed whenever a unit is out of combat.
Especially on harder difficulties, players might find themselves tweaking their units via skill points (and items) quite frequently.

Let's have a look at the 'Knight' class to see how this works in practice:

Should I invest more skill points in HP or defense values to make the unit more durable?
Or maybe some skill points in MP to avoid running out of 'mana'?
Increase Atk to do more damage?
Increase Pow to further strengthen 'Shield Allies' and better protect your other units?
Invest skill points in 'Cleave' for devastating damage against leather wearing armor units?
Increase Retaliation damage for a 'counter attack strategy'?
Or maybe in Mov to make the unit move faster?

Of course there is no 'right' answer to theses questions.
Everything depends on the player's preferences, play style, the kind of challenge lying ahead, as well as other available units.
08-28-2014, 08:01 PM
08-29-2014, 12:50 AM
I have loved all the Kingturn games on Android and iOS. I'm glad there's this new one.

Those are great games with depth and love in the making.

09-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Patch 1.8.1 live

Patch 1.8.1 is live now on Google Play:

- Once units are finished talking in a (starting) dialogue, the camera zooms automatically back to the initial distance.

- Armory: There is a new screen where the player can select the unit which is supposed to equip a specific item from the inventory (instead of only suggesting the 'optimal' candidate)

- Items bought for individual units are automatically equipped now without an additional yes / no query.

- Difficulty slightly lowered for scenarios 100, 103, 104
09-02-2014, 11:59 AM
Sweet, I am going to check the previous ones then.
09-08-2014, 03:59 AM
I've finally decided to buy Kingturn Underworld as I want to play all Kingturn games from the start before playing Tactics Maiden.

09-08-2014, 05:11 AM
Originally Posted by Bewi View Post
I've finally decided to buy Kingturn Underworld as I want to play all Kingturn games from the start before playing Tactics Maiden.
Kingturn Underworld is probably my favorite part of the 3 Kingturn titles, so good choice .
After completing the whole Kingturn series, I felt that there was a small gap in the story, so I've added a mini campaign comprising 6 scenarios to Kingturn Underworld in one of the patches (automatically included in the full version).
The campaign is called 'Twelve years after' and was meant as the final highlight of the series, being even more challenging than the rest of the game.
So once you have finished the main campaign, don't miss out on this part that can be accessed via 'New Campaign' --> 'Twelve years after'.

For players new to our titles, it should be noted that playing Tactics Maiden is completely independent from Kingturn (e.g. different world and story, and slightly different game rules).
09-08-2014, 07:15 AM
I had noticed that Tactics Maiden was apart from the Kingturn trilogy and maybe I'll begin playing it before I finish all the Kingturn, because I believe that will take dozens of hours to accomplish !

I find Underworld to be very challenging. I play it in 3rd level of difficulty (the default one). But with good strategy and planning, I have managed to beat the scenario until then.