★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Dragon Quest VIII $19.99 -> $14.99

08-27-2014, 10:04 PM
Dragon Quest VIII $19.99 -> $14.99

Pretty sure it's the first time this has gone on sale. I'll be snapping it up ASAP.

Last edited by falcon815; 08-27-2014 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Adding app info, I didn't know the tag offhand
08-27-2014, 10:15 PM
a grand adventure that no JRPG fan should miss

TA Review 4.5/5 http://toucharcade.com/2014/05/29/dr...t-viii-review/
"Dragon Quest 8 on iOS isn't quite up to the original English PS2 game, thanks to a lack of voice acting and some technical issues, but it is a largely faithful version of one of the best RPGs of the last decade. It's a grand adventure that no JRPG fan should miss, as long as your device can run it. Here's hoping this return is a successful one."

148 Review 4.5/5 http://www.148apps.com/reviews/drago...t-viii-review/
"Dragon Quest VIII for mobile shouldn’t cause established fans to retch in disgust, and newcomers will enjoy it. It’s certainly nice to have a version of the game that is pocket-sized, and the gameplay is still stellar despite being ten years old. If you’re lacking the mobile hardware but want to play Dragon Quest VIII regardless? Now’s a good time to hunt down a PlayStation 2 version. However you choose to play the game, it’s worth your time."

08-28-2014, 02:18 AM
No good. I bet all my money that it will go down to 9,99 during the Christmas sale. I had already been had by squeenix in the past, I am not falling for that again.
08-28-2014, 04:45 AM
I think they are just balancing the price with the other one.
08-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouffie View Post
No good. I bet all my money that it will go down to 9,99 during the Christmas sale. I had already been had by squeenix in the past, I am not falling for that again.
Wait... Are you getting pissed off at titles and devs/publishers that offer discounted prices for the christmas holidays?

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
08-28-2014, 10:30 AM
No, what I am pissed about is when a developer makes a sale, only to make an even bigger sale a short time later.

Squeenix had discounted FFV for Thanksgiving (9,99). I thought it was a good price and that it couldn't fall lower. Guess what? It did fall lower during the christmas sale.

I have been had in the same way for other games of the same company. I now only use the Christmas sale as a reference for how low an app's price will fall.
08-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Quote:
No, what I am pissed about is when a developer makes a sale, only to make an even bigger sale a short time later.

Squeenix had discounted FFV for Thanksgiving (9,99). I thought it was a good price and that it couldn't fall lower. Guess what? It did fall lower during the christmas sale.

I have been had in the same way for other games of the same company. I now only use the Christmas sale as a reference for how low an app's price will fall.
Another way to look at is that as a consumer we have some obligation to financially support quality titles. Sure, it's great to get dirt cheap games but if it's something you will really enjoy then paying a higher price is a way of "voting with your wallet." The iOS economy is flooded with freemium games because too very users are willing to pay reasonable prices. Dragon Quest VII coming to iOS is a small miracle so paying more is a way of investing in similar future titles.

Also consider whatever price a game is worth to you. Undoubtably if you wait there will always be a better deal, but even at $20 Dragon Quest VI is a beast of a game with tons of content and a near classic for RPG fans. I can speak from experience in saying that stressing out for the "best value" will just leave you with tons of filler apps you bought on a song but aren't ideal for your taste.

Last edited by undeadcow; 08-28-2014 at 10:57 AM.
08-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Well, you could see it as a way of supporting the devs.

However, if there's a possibility for a better deal, why shouldn't I wait? It's the devs fault for letting down the customers that paid the big bucks. Why should I be the pigeon that pays for the full price when the next guy will get ithe same product at half-price?

I had the same issue with Capcom. I got phantom detective and ace attorney trilogy at full price both. Sometime this year, they sold the same apps at ridiculous prices (2 bucks instead of 15). I can't prevent from feeling I have been cheated. I have learned my lesson and will wait for a price drop for ace attorney 5.
To be honest, devs should be consistent and sell their products to everybody for the same price. They only hurt their own business with practices of sudden price drops at -75%.
08-28-2014, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Well, you could see it as a way of supporting the devs.

However, if there's a possibility for a better deal, why shouldn't I wait? It's the devs fault for letting down the customers that paid the big bucks. Why should I be the pigeon that pays for the full price when the next guy will get ithe same product at half-price?

I had the same issue with Capcom. I got phantom detective and ace attorney trilogy at full price both. Sometime this year, they sold the same apps at ridiculous prices (2 bucks instead of 15). I can't prevent from feeling I have been cheated. I have learned my lesson and will wait for a price drop for ace attorney 5.
To be honest, devs should be consistent and sell their products to everybody for the same price. They only hurt their own business with practices of sudden price drops at -75%.
You probably have never been a console gamer I take it? I mean, a $60 game at release and six months later and it's $20. A few years later and it's in the $5 bin. Or you turn around and it's free on PS+ not long after buying it. Or on PC, if you shop on steam and buy a new indie game for $20 and then there's a big Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter sale and the same game is 90% off at $2. There are much harsher realities of price dropping out there. My vote is to buy only the games I'm absolutely excited to play at full price and never feel bad about it if they go on sale. For the pc/console world that means rarely buying games at release. For iOS it means mostly the same thing but I find there are certain devs that I've grown to love and it's not hard to throw a buck or two at a new game if I've loved every game the dev has made.

There are far more premium games than I'll ever have time to actually play and I don't owe anyone that makes premium games an instant blind purchase out of a preference for real premium games. I only feel obligated to buy what I want.

As for DQ VIII. It's amazing to see this on iOS. I still have it on PS2 and will stick to that version as it has voice acting and so on... but if I didn't have another outlet and I was willing to put up with instability and crashes (according to the app listing for the 4S) I'd be all over this. I still have IX, IV, V, & VI on DS... so I'll stick with them too as it's easier with bigger games to guarantee that two years from now my device will still be able to play them. On iOS there really isn't much buyer protection which makes it hard to support more expensive games.

-nightc1
This gamer runs on premium games.
08-28-2014, 01:13 PM
I have been keeping my eye on this. I love JRPGs and I have not played DQ8. But I am a little skeptical still. Will this run well on an iPhone 5? And does anyone want to sell me on this with your own words? I can be easily persuaded sometime so please tell me why i should buy it now during sale

Cheers /Emp