★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: ipod touch second genration

09-09-2008, 05:09 PM
ipod touch second genration

does the new ipod have improved visual graphics and preformance or is it just the new speakers and look?
09-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Only changes are.. slimmer, reshaped/redesigned case, speaker, volume controls.

09-09-2008, 06:01 PM
And Nike+ transmitter and software built in for those of you who were looking forward to Nike+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheloniousMac View Post
Only changes are.. slimmer, reshaped/redesigned case, speaker, volume controls.
09-09-2008, 07:03 PM
what is Nike+? hopefully a bluetooth stereo headset solution of some sort...

good call on the speaker.
I don't own an itouch, but the speaker on my 1st gen iPhone sucks pretty hard
09-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATTLE BORN View Post

Steve explained the speaker in the new ipod touch is definitely not for audiophiles, due to the case being so thin. Will probably be fine for playing games / watching videos, but not quite so good for music.

I bought one of the tiny little speakers that plugs in to the bottom of my ipod touch and the audio is fine - great for showing people youtube clips, playing games, etc. Considering it was only $10 it works great - definitely no reason to upgrade just for an internal speaker.
09-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATTLE BORN View Post

Nike+iPod measures and records the distance and pace of a walk or run. If you're into that thing.
09-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Well, for me the built-in speaker is a big deal, because I'm using my iPod touch as a PDA, replacing my old Palm, and alarms are one area that the touch falls way short. The quiet little chirps my current touch can produce are almost worthless. I have to see, though, if they've added the ability to set alarm sounds and such, hopefully allowing your own custom ones. If you just get the same chirps louder, that wouldn't be that much of an improvement. Of course the speaker would also be great for games and for spoken-word podcasts and talk internet radio.
09-10-2008, 11:49 AM
for gaming purposes the speaker is fine, I usually leave the sound off anyways to save battery. (and typically leave it on silent/vibrate for that matter)

but when using the speaker phone function, I'd prefer that me and my boss didn't have to stick our faces right up next to my phone

then again, maybe I shouldn't spend so much time standing in front of blaring amplifiers......... nah!
09-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexen View Post
Steve explained the speaker in the new ipod touch is definitely not for audiophiles, due to the case being so thin. Will probably be fine for playing games / watching videos, but not quite so good for music.

I bought one of the tiny little speakers that plugs in to the bottom of my ipod touch and the audio is fine - great for showing people youtube clips, playing games, etc. Considering it was only $10 it works great - definitely no reason to upgrade just for an internal speaker.
that seriously sucks, i have the 1st gen ipod touch and i wanted a speaker (i mean, especially for music) since i hate sticking headphones in my ears all the time.

what would happen if we tried playing music with the speaker?

otherwise, please tell me where you got those "tiny little speakers" - i'll be needing those.
09-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by break5 View Post
that seriously sucks, i have the 1st gen ipod touch and i wanted a speaker (i mean, especially for music) since i hate sticking headphones in my ears all the time.

what would happen if we tried playing music with the speaker?

otherwise, please tell me where you got those "tiny little speakers" - i'll be needing those.

Here are some pics of my mini speaker - it's really tiny, and while it's not the most elegant solution it works fine for the times when I don't want to wear headphones, plus it has a volume control actually on the speaker unit which is handy.

They do sell them in black which would look much better, but only had white available when I bought one (typical!). Can't really complain for the price though.

I bought it on ebay from a seller based in Hong Kong (seller name "ph13_mart") I just did a quick search on ebay and he still has them for sale. Alternatively do a search for "Mini Portable Speaker ipod" and you'll see lots of people selling them - just make sure you get the speaker with the standard dock connector, not the one that plugs into the headphone jack (the headphone one sits at a really bad angle when its plugged in).