★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: *** Check out our new persistent online game: Rogue Vertex Online ***

Use your arsenal of upgradable weapons to defend your base from the invading robots!

Suppression is a Tower Defense inspired game with a focus on active gameplay rather than passive gameplay. You'll use tap and drag gestures to use your weapons, but you can also set up turrets to help finish enemies off.

You'll face 6 bosses, each with a unique tactic required to defeat them.

Features:
- Auto save after each wave.
- 6 weapons (3 tap, 3 drag)
- EMP Mine
- Artillery
- Acid Cloud
- Airstrike
- Stasis Bubble
- ION Cannon
- Plus the "Oscillator". Shake your device to effect certain enemies.
- Hand drawn art.
- Base upgrades (3 levels of upgrades, 9 items)
- Earn points to spend on upgrades.
- Choose among the Tesla Cannon, Laser Turret, Base Restoration Device, and others!
- Improve existing weapons, reducing cooldowns, increasing damage, and more!
- Fight 6 bosses across 60 waves!
- In-game help

Known Issues:
- In iPhone OS 4, there are several graphics glitches. We will be fixing these as soon as possible.

Follow us on Twitter: @TangentWorlds

ImNoSuperMan's comments:
edit. Oops. Appshopper not displaying info yet. Seems kinda interesting but a bit steep for 2.99$. Check it out in iTunes.
-----------------

09-02-2009, 12:27 AM
I think it looks good! Will finally TOFTT
Will post in just a bit!

09-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NRG View Post
I think it looks good! Will finally TOFTT
Will post in just a bit!
wow looking forward to it...didn't notice it till now

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
09-02-2009, 02:21 AM
Wow, spent about an hour and a half with it!
Ok, never did a review, so I'm just gonna give the good vs bad since I ain't no Albie

A man's home is his castle, and if that castle is in space, you might have a bumper sticker that reads, "they can have my ray gun when they pry my cold, dead eleven fingers from it!" Nonetheless, your ability to defend your castle is contingent on you knowing what the hell you're doing, and in this castle defense game, perhaps the Russian/Polish programmers wanted to play a game with the player themselves in figuring out what's goin on... something I fear I see more often then not when 20 letter last names end in "ski".
(Disclaimer: I am half American Polish/Czech)

Ok, that was my homage to the Great Albie

I really have a bad taste for castle defense unless it's Stick Wars, due to 30 days of hell for no reason with Arch Mage when it came out.
This is a promising castle defense, VERY promising. A little slow, and very VERY buggy. Did I mention the scant directions? In fact, the directions are SO bad the game starts after 1.1 seconds of the warning to press pause to read the directions... so fast I couldn't even read THAT until the 3rd time.
Then, I read the directons, and it kicked me right back into the game.

There is no way to re-start the game wo rebooting.

After I learned how to play, (first round went to wave 4; second to wave 7; third to wave 21 when I figured it all out), I loved the mechanics, but again, a bit slow, which since it's such an onslaught, is probably good.
Boss levels are at every 10th wave.

Good:
-increasing varied waves of multi invaders with differing speeds and impervisions to certain weapons. Life bars are in green.
-BEAUTIFULLY HAND DRAWN GRAPHICS! I'm a sucker for that.
-You choose 2 active and 4 passive defenses. You tap on pause, then the manager to access and upgrade or sell said "towers".
-weapons consist of goo, mines, air raids, space laser beams that you hold your finger down and move around to hit enemies, and lasers on the castle gate that are on Autofire.
-there are 3 buttons on the bottom left and 3 on the bottom right.
-the 3 on the left you can highlight one, say "goo", and tap the screen on an enemy (or lead right before it). These are the "tap" weapons.
-the 3 on the bottom right you can press one at a time to select as well at any time (except if it's in its "cool down" countdown, displayed by a number countdown on the button), and "drag" your finger across some enemies and carpet bomb the smack out of them.
-the bosses are "interesting". Second boss manifests in and out, and shoots a rocket at the castle gate, so you have only a second or two to hit it with what you decide.
-more extras to unlock as surprises, but I didn't get that far.

The bad:
-scant directions: figure the stuff out by trial and error
-buggy: crashes, artifacts at end of game.
-slow. No speed up option.
-the biggie: when drawing your finger to have bombs drop on enemies, the bombs 70% of the time don't land where you drew. It's best just to draw tiny tiny circles just in front of the oncoming enemy.
Also another tip: MAKE SURE as soon as you have over 100 CP (money) you hit pause and go straight to the resource manager page and update your weapons!!! Gotta stay on top of that.

You hardcore dudes and dudettes would of figured this out and killed it better than me. As a laid back gamer, I enjoyed this game and will give it another shot or two.
I would say it's NOT worth $3 bones at this point. If it was flawless and worked out of the box as it's designed, I'd say $2-3, but that's pushing it.
They better drop this to 99cent imo until an update to address these serious annoyances, yea, distractions.
Again, the art is SO GOOD tho, there's nothing like laying down goo, then carpet bombing and watching all the explosions, while drawing a laser on top of a boss that's f@#%'n out of it's mind progressing towards you and shooing rockets, then disappearing and popping up again.

Last edited by Dark NRG; 09-02-2009 at 02:23 AM.
09-02-2009, 02:25 AM
thanks for that, gonna keep it on my list for now. and yes it does have beautiful art design

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
09-02-2009, 02:53 AM
Yeah, it's a must buy if you're super into that genre I imagine. I supposed it was gonna be a TD like game, guess it is in a way. I'm gonna go write my complaints "briefly" on the app store now LOL
09-02-2009, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NRG View Post
I'm gonna go write my complaints "briefly" on the app store now LOL
lol
09-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. We're looking into the performance issue. In the meantime, you can simply restart the application when it starts to get laggy. The game autosaves after every wave so you won't lose anything. This performance issue is also to blame for airstrike being difficult to use later on. Sorry about that...

I'll add in a longer delay for the "here's the help button" text, and wait a few more seconds before unleashing the enemy horde, too.

Did you find the bosses to be too difficult? At first, we were going to have some tips appear, but our play testers thought it spoiled the fun. Here's a tip for the cloak boss - use the Stasis bubble to slow down the missile, giving you extra time.

We meant the game to be a different take on the whole TD genre, with players having more of an active role in the defense of their base. The two towers were actually the last thing we designed and implemented.

I'm glad you guys like the hand-drawn art I'll pass on the compliments to Justin.

Brian
Tangent Worlds

Last edited by sesnir; 09-02-2009 at 09:41 AM.
09-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Dark NRG, I read your review on the app store, and I'd like to address some things here since Apple doesn't allow devs to directly respond to reviews there.

The 4-page Help screen explains how to play, and what each weapon does. The Base Management screen clearly displays the item costs (both for buying and selling) and effects towards the bottom of the screen. Did you notice these?

If you lose, the game takes you back to the main menu... I didn't think having an "end game" button was all that necessary. I'll keep it in mind for the update, though.

If you have an iPhone 3G, the slowness issue is definitely more noticeable. I honestly don't know what's causing it. Memory usage for Suppression doesn't surpass 9mb and CPU usage stays below 30%. The one thing I did find was that the Springboard (the iPhone's main menu) spikes to 60-70% usage after playing Suppression for a while. I have no idea why it does that, or if I'm doing anything that makes it happen. I'll probably use my 1 free tech support ticket to have Apple tell me why it happens.

The game took 4-5 months to develop, and we definitely didn't rush it out. The slowness that appears is a flaw, but one with an easy workaround until we can find the cause.

We currently have no plans to drop the price, and we think it's fair - all of that hand drawn art takes time Remember, all updates will be free and we plan on fully supporting the game.

Thanks for your support.

Last edited by sesnir; 09-02-2009 at 10:41 AM.
09-03-2009, 06:50 AM
is there a gameplay vid for this?