8-Bit Style Games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by retr0spective, Sep 2, 2014.

1. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Greetings,

What are your favorite 8-Bit style games - games that graphically would have felt at home on the NES?

Examples:

Kid Tripp
    Lost Yeti
    The Last Rocket

2. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Tetris
    Spy vs spy
    Metroid
    Legend of Zelda
    Super mario bros 3

:3 you didnt say ios exclusive

But if it had to be iOS... Not sure, cant really think of many of them off the top of my head. Maybe only Kid Tripp and Spy vs Spy? I definitely enjoyed those the most.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    These could be 16-bit though, my eye isnt really trained to tell between 8-bit and 16-bit. Also, despite dome of these titles looking very retro, their framerates are too high compared to what the actual NES could handle. :p

Canabalt
    1-bit Ninja
    Cardinal Quest 1 & 2
    Adventure To Fate
    774 Deaths
    Slayin
    Mutant Mudds
    Heroes of Loot (amd all other Orangepixel titles)
    868 Hack
    Bloo Kid 1 & 2
    Mos Speedrun
    Go Go Pixel
    Bitless
    Rogue Ninja titles
    Pixel Kingdom
    jtpck
    Zombies.
    Mars Quest (this has "8-bit" in its full title LOL)

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Searching for 8 bit or ZX Spectrum or C64 brings up a lot of 8 bit style games.

There was one game which looked like it had ZX Spectrum 8 bit graphics where you 'rolled' your character around the screen, cant think of the name of it. I loved it apart from it was tilt controls but it looked great.

Most of the games by Jeff Minter (Llamasoft) looked very 8 bit-ish as thats when he created a lot of his games. Gridrunner is great as are most of his iOS games

I must admit i LOVE Spectaculator, specially as you can add your own Speccy games to it, one of the best apps i have!

5. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    yep - I Am Level was one of my favourite games of last year.

6. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Kero Blaster is the best NES-like game I've played on iOS. I'm reminded more of an MSX2 game than anything else with that though, and I'm not sure early Genesis/Megadrive or PC Engine gaming could have pulled something like that off on all fronts. It's sort of a nostalgia-boosted NES game.

Minter games superficially look pre-NES but have very anachronistic effects. Arcade games are historically an odd thing to compare to home gaming anyway because they often ran on more expensive but older hardware. There wasn't a good port of Sega's Space Harrier until like 10 years after it came out originally and that required the 32X. Even when it was already old, the Genesis couldn't handle a game like that by itself. The Dreamcast was the first system that could actually do a decent port of contemporary Neo Geo games.

Manos: Hands of Fate is very committed to adhering to NES capabilities, aside from the lack of screen flicker and stuff like that. I'm not crazy about that game though.

Most stuff that people say looks 16-bit can be applied to the bulk of any post-2000 game where the developers opted for a style where there are readily discernible pixels instead of a clean flash game look or 3D.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Polyroll and clash force are two great retro style games. But they haven't been updated for ios7 which is really frustrating

8. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Jeff Minter's games (llamasoft) are really good. It's unfortunate that he abandoned iOS. :confused:

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah spoke to him at a retro show. He just wasn't making enough money to break even. Sounded very demoralised but his new game on the PS Vita has been a huge hit which is good news

His games were great but just too many people waiting for price drops etc

10. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    PIXA!!!

Yes I had to yell, it's really that good :D

11. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Stardash and Kale in Dinoland are both superb. Also agree to most everything listed. Jeff Minter is a genius and needs to bring Space Giraffe to iOS. (c'mon Jeff, you could do it in your sleep) Orange Pixel is on my "yes I'll buy anything you make" list. Also Ravenous Games are on that list. League of Evil and Random Heroes were my favorites. Awesome Land, Bloo Kid, Mutant Mudds, are fantastic. Trying to think of some shooters but my brain is blank.

Great list!

12. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Awesome suggestions, keep them coming and I will put together a master list.

13. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia