★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pricing secrecy..stop playing around dudes

12-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Pricing secrecy..stop playing around dudes

Does promotions sale effect a lot on # of D/L?
How would normal consumers think?
I don't think we, iphone app developers are normal consumers though lol
12-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
I'm pretty sure a sale increases the number of downloads. :P Lately, the only reason I've been buying games is if they've gone on sale.

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge

12-16-2008, 11:44 PM
Send a message via AIM to terrett101
I think you can consider yourself a normal consumer of any app that isn't yours. You'd have to ask other developers though who have conducted sales to report on their download figures. Personally as a consumer only, sure I'm more inclined to buy something if it's on sale, but if it's something I think I would like in the first place I'd probably just buy it in the first place, unless the sale shows a significant difference in price. Plus we as the consumer don't know when and/or if sales will take place, so it only really affects those that are very tight on money or are very unsure about a game.
12-16-2008, 11:48 PM
i personally dont buy any game at full price especially after wat has happened. Big game companys have lowered an apps price after only a month. look at spore, crashbandicoot, and enigmo. I mean i see no reason to buy it at full price when a month later it could be 5 bucks cheaper. I think me and alot of other people think like that and thats why sales bring in soooo many downloads.
12-16-2008, 11:51 PM
From our brief and limited experience, halving your price will roughly double your downloads. Dropping to one dollar will at least give you a sales spike of couple of days.

The rest depends on the application itself and how the market responds to it.
12-17-2008, 12:00 AM
yea agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmav View Post
i personally dont buy any game at full price especially after wat has happened. Big game companys have lowered an apps price after only a month. look at spore, crashbandicoot, and enigmo. I mean i see no reason to buy it at full price when a month later it could be 5 bucks cheaper. I think me and alot of other people think like that and thats why sales bring in soooo many downloads.
I totally agree w/ you guys. Sales obviously affects to increase DL. What pisses me off is those big companies who's got the brand titles and money to ad sway pricing environment in the app store. We all wait the normal price to go in sale then we buy. But you knw that small developers who don't have much time to wait cause after it goes to back pages people just forget the app. Then you say I go in sales too? For that I'm not really sure so asking. It'd be better app store has the more strict and transparent pricing policy or rules.

Last edited by iphoner; 12-17-2008 at 12:09 AM.
12-17-2008, 01:13 AM
DVD rentals go down in price after a few weeks; you pay more to see it early. Seems to be similar with the app store. If you want it early, you pay a little more. If you want it for a lower price, you have to go without for a while.
12-17-2008, 02:40 AM
if I buy a DVD and the next day it goes on sale, I can return with my receipt and get a refund fir the difference. Digital purchases should be NO different...greedy bastards
12-17-2008, 03:54 AM
Many stores in the UK wouldn`t allow you to return a DVD/game unless it`s faulty.

Anyway, app store games are more inline with DVD rental prices than buying a DVD, which is why I made the comparison.

And I think you are out of line calling them greedy for lowering their prices. They are perfectly entitled to lower the price of the game to suit demand, or for whatever purpose they deem necessary. In fact, you are the one coming across as greedy, complaining that having the game 2/3 weeks earlier wasn`t worth the extra $1.

It`s common to have to pay a little more if you want something earlier. Movie tickets, DVDs, DVD rentals, even regular video games. So it tends to happen more quickly in the app store, but then the prices/price changes are all small amounts.

If you don`t want to pay the full price, wait for the price to drop. Those willing to pay the full price are able to enjoy the game earlier.

Last edited by AchillesReborn; 12-17-2008 at 03:57 AM.
12-17-2008, 04:04 AM
Send a message via AIM to terrett101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchillesReborn View Post
If you don`t want to pay the full price, wait for the price to drop. Those willing to pay the full price are able to enjoy the game earlier.
I fully agree with Achilles, people complain about developers dropping their price a month or so after release, but don't realise that it is pretty much common behaviour with any type of media, as you mentioned. I'm sure if I were to go out and buy Fallout 3 now, it would probably be $10 cheaper than what I paid at midnight on it's release day. But that was the sacrifice I was willing to make to be able to play the game immediately.

Apps that go on sale are for the most part slight reductions that take place several weeks after the initial release. There is even a growing trend in developers releasing their games at lower prices for a week or two before then raising it once they have become well known. I'll grant once exception though, ngmoco's decision to drop the price of Dropship a couple of days after release was a little frustrating for those who bought it on release (I bought it after the price drop). But at the same time we're talking $1 difference, it really isn't much, and this type of thing doesn't happen often. I don't expect to see Rolando, NFS, SimCity or any main stream well publicised game decrease in price for at least several months following release, if at all.