★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

More players in gamecenter than actual downloads

09-07-2014, 05:31 AM
More players in gamecenter than actual downloads

As the title says, my latest game Orbital Wars released on thursday. What I don't really understand. There are more players in Gamecenter than actual downloads. For my previous game it was the other way around, which is more obvious to me since not everybody is using Gamecenter. It's not just a few but about 30 percent more players than downloads in iTunes connect. I know that it is not related to the updating of iTunesconnect since it's been like that every day.
09-07-2014, 05:33 AM
Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
Perhaps some people have JB devices and downloaded your game somewhere else?

09-07-2014, 05:39 AM
Yeah - I would guess that's jailbroken devices/piracy you're seeing.
09-08-2014, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil128 View Post
As the title says, my latest game Orbital Wars released on thursday. What I don't really understand. There are more players in Gamecenter than actual downloads. For my previous game it was the other way around, which is more obvious to me since not everybody is using Gamecenter. It's not just a few but about 30 percent more players than downloads in iTunes connect. I know that it is not related to the updating of iTunesconnect since it's been like that every day.
Thats a crazy number I find only about 20 % of downloads max actually use gamecentre!

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
09-09-2014, 12:57 PM
It's getting worse, currently the player count is almost double than the actual downloads. Is there anything I can do about that?
09-09-2014, 02:05 PM
If it's not costing you anything for additional traffic (like it appears yours doesn't have to maintain online servers) then there's not much to do, except hope they show a friend who buys it.

If it is costing you, you should add some kind of validation to your servers.

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!
09-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Do you have any analytics? I wonder if you've made a title that particularly appeals to the Russian or Chinese market which are typically more piracy heavy than North American or European markets.

Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it, there's nothing you can do, just be pleased people are playing and focus on potential customers not the pirates.
09-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Screenshots are fantastic, and the game is not free. Yep, those numbers are from piracy. Take it as a good sign that your game is desirable.