★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Superhyper

09-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Superhyper

Hello!

I'm Folmer from Sets and Settings, and I'm making a game called SUPERHYPER.

SUPERHYPER is a low-fi-esque, minimalist, “pure” action game in the same vein as something like Super Hexagon, but it plays like a Temple Run (swipe to move left, right, and dash). It’s really designed for mobile devices and I’m proud that I achieved something that feels like it nears twitch gameplay but still lets you play one-handed if you want.

There are 3 (but actually 4) modes in SUPERHYPER (SUPER, HYPER, and SUPERHYPER (and ???)), each with their own obstacles and gameplay mechanics. Everything you're seeing right now is taken from SUPER, I'll start revealing the other modes in the coming weeks.

SUPERHYPER is a difficult game, and most of my time working on it is spent tweaking and balancing. Luckily I have a great group of testers helping me out! One of the things that I've been made aware of (both from tester feedback and browsing the TA forums) is that not everybody likes swipe controls. So if that put you off, I'm also adding alternative control options.

What else can I talk about right now? Oh, the game has Game Center support (an absolute must for a highscore game like this), and will not be a free game. There will NOT be ads, there will NOT be IAP.

A little background info: Sets and Settings previously released Irrupt, and we have a long-term project in the works called Trestle. If you liked Irrupt, you'll probably really enjoy SUPERHYPER. And if you're interested in Trestle, pretty much every penny I make these days goes into the development of that game. It's a monster of a project!

Anyway, thanks for reading, and feel free to ask me anything Or hit me up on twitter, I talk about SUPERHYPER and post screenshots like all the time.

Last edited by folmerkelly; 09-07-2014 at 05:43 PM.
09-07-2014, 08:45 AM
Sweet. I liked Irrupt.

09-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Looks great! Instabuy

Game Center: sink_or_swim
09-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkane View Post
Sweet. I liked Irrupt.
Thanks, glad to hear it!

Should mention, Irrupt was not available for a while but it's back in the app store where it belongs now.
09-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Looking forward to this.
09-07-2014, 12:50 PM
This looks really great. I love the minimalistic type games. I think it's great that you didn't put a bunch of extra graphics everywhere and it's just one item that keeps going and going instead of several different cars. When it's like this, it means that someone can really appreciate and enjoy the game and really know what they're playing.

I also appreciate that you will be using alternative controls.
I definitely want to try this game.

I have all the usual questions:

When do you think it will be released?
Will it be universal or iPhone only?
Will it be released in all countries or just one or two?
What will you be charging for the game?
If it is a paid app, will there be ads? IAP's?

Thanks!
09-07-2014, 01:32 PM
A paid game with no ads or iaps are my favourite kind, paired up with the minimal twitchy style I'll be certainly buying this.
Haven't tried irrupt but I will now.
09-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
I have all the usual questions:

When do you think it will be released?
Will it be universal or iPhone only?
Will it be released in all countries or just one or two?
What will you be charging for the game?
If it is a paid app, will there be ads? IAP's?

Thanks!
Thanks for the kind words, first of all! To answer your questions:

I'm really hoping to have the game out on October 1st. Since all of the framework and the majority of the content is complete, mostly what I'm doing is balancing and testing until everything feels right. So I'm confident I can have it submitted and in review in time to make that date, but you never know what might happen when Apple reviews it.
SUPERHYPER is universal! I have playtesters running it on every device, and I use an iPad 3 and an iPhone 4S myself.
It'll be released in every country. No soft launch or anything like that either.
Right now I'm thinking the game will be $1.99 but on sale for $0.99 the first week.
There will absolutely be no ads or IAP of any kind. I want SUPERHYPER to be a "pure" experience, clean with no clutter.
09-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Gato..I see a cat.. oh man this game..this game is super hard and super fun..hard to believe I've only been playing on the first mode..
09-08-2014, 04:48 AM
A sneak preview of what to expect in HYPER: