★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Featured as "BEST NEW GAME" by Apple in over 90 COUNTRIES!

"An icy city builder and tower defense hybrid" PocketGamer
"The real-time strategy battles feature clever tactical objectives" 148Apps
"WinterForts brings a new twist on strategy management" AppSpy

Sick of IDENTICAL bases? Attack all kinds of forts as foes attempt to trap you in MAZES of ICE!

WinterForts: Exiled Kingdom is a new kind of strategic castle-building game where you control a group of exiled warriors in search of revenge against the treacherous Horde. Craft the layout of your fort, send your workers into the wild, harvest meat from dead dragons, join one of eight Houses and raise an army of archers, beasts and undeads to fight in revolutionary battles inspired by tower defense games.

For centuries, the frozen regions of Drahalla have been the scene of epic battles and magical confrontations for the control of resources. The descendant of a line of warrior kings, you fight rival families and barbarian clans to regain possession of your empire. Expanding your kingdom is only the first stepyour quest isn't over until you lead your House to victory and reclaim your rightful throne!

To do this, youll:
- PLAY with thousands of other players online and make new friends
- BUILD your own fort into a prosperous and undefeatable fortress
- CRAFT your way through the snow to create a strategic maze of corridors
- GATHER gold nuggets, dragon meat and much more with your workers
- RAID enemy forts in unique battles inspired by tower defense and RTS games
- SWEAR allegiance to one of the 8 Houses of Drahalla and honor your banner
- EXPLORE the world of WinterForts with its legendary lore and fantasy art style

* Music by the Award Winning creators of the Papo & Yo and Tearaway soundtrack! *

Your castle has withstood many invasions through the sacrifices of your heroic family. It is now time for you to control your destiny!

WinterForts: Exiled Kingdom is completely free to play! However, some game items can also be purchased for real money. If you don't want to use this feature, please disable in-app purchases in your device's settings.

Note: a network connection is required to play. For the best experience, we recommend playing this game on iPhones 4S, iPads 2 and above. Players playing on iPhone 4 will experience drops of frame rate at higher levels.

Problems or suggestions? Wed love to hear from you, so please reach out to us!
-> support@norsfell.com

Connect with us and keep in touch with our team!
-> http://www.norsfell.com
-> http://www.facebook.com/norsfell
-> http://www.twitter.com/norsfell

PeteOzzy's comments:
[/CENTER]

09-08-2014, 10:52 PM
From the devs behind Shattered Planet and a few other awesome games. Looking forward to trying this!

09-08-2014, 10:56 PM
Worldwide when?
09-08-2014, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenken11 View Post
Worldwide when?
That trailer had a comment that it's coming worldwide in September this year so most likely soon. Can't find much better than that though, sorry!
09-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
That trailer had a comment that it's coming worldwide in September this year so most likely soon. Can't find much better than that though, sorry!
I'm not entirely sure I understand it, but Pete you seem to always find games that at least pique my interest. While this game looks like a CoC clone, the developers have earned my respect to try it out.
09-08-2014, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotDamn View Post
I'm not entirely sure I understand it, but Pete you seem to always find games that at least pique my interest. While this game looks like a CoC clone, the developers have earned my respect to try it out.
Heh, I thought the same thing - I nearly skipped past it but the little character in the bottom of the icon seemed familiar so I checked their other games. I vastly prefer Shattered Planet on PC but they've definitely put out some good iOS games too so I'm up for putting away my prejudices!
09-09-2014, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOzzy View Post
Thanks, appreciate much.
09-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Hi all!

Norsfell's designer here First of all, I wanted to thank PeteOzzy for bringing this thread up! It's great to see people already talking about WinterForts.

To answer kenken11's question, although the game was supposed to be out worldwide in September this year, we pushed it back to early October (aah, those devs!). We're currently working on improving the game visually (like, radically) and on fixing the remaining bugs. All is going well!

While it is true that WinterForts share similarities with CoC (the game is a combat strategy game), the approach is quite different.

- For one, the game is heavily influenced by tower defenses, as your city is made of a maze of corridors which you can customize. When attacking or getting attacked, troops walk on paths, which means that the overall dynamic is different. Each layout is therefore unique and strategies to trap the enemy are numerous.

- For two, we wanted to give the player a greater sense of agency in terms of management, meaning that you can send your workers to gather resources directly in addition to using them to build new structures. Strategy oozes through the system here as well, as storages placed close to entrances yield more Resources but are more vulnerable to attacks.

- For three, being fans of high fantasy and of Game of Thrones, we wanted players to experiment with a family system in the game. Players cannot create alliances per say in WinterForts, but rather they can join one of the 8 Houses and work together to make this family the most successful one. This creates fun social elements which we can't wait for you to try out!

As pointed out, the team is also part of Execution Labs, a game incubator located in Montreal, responsible for Shattered Planet and Big Action Mega Fight,.

I hope this answers a few question, and don't hesitate if you have more, I'll more than happily answer them!

Cheers!
09-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Thought it was a CoC clone again but reading your post has made me want to try this. I like the defence aspect as that sounds interesting and a radical overhaul of the visuals sounds good too.

The family houses sounds good for the social aspect so I'd like to see how it pans out.
09-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Game Impressions