★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Duke Nukem 3d removed from app store?

09-02-2009, 01:46 PM
#1
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 63
Duke Nukem 3d removed from app store?

I just checked the app store for an update to DN3D which has become a daily ritual, and noticed Duke Nukem 3d has been removed from app store. Could that mean Apple is uploading a new version or perhaps it's an error on my part? Has anyone else notice this?
09-02-2009, 01:48 PM
#2
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: California, USA
Posts: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomlord View Post
I just checked the app store for an update to DN3D which has become a daily ritual, and noticed Duke Nukem 3d has been removed from app store. Could that mean Apple is uploading a new version or perhaps it's an error on my part? Has anyone else notice this?
Looks gone to me. The DK saga continues...forever...

09-02-2009, 01:49 PM
#3
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: England
Posts: 147
just checked the UK store and it has been removed from there as well, weird :S
09-02-2009, 01:53 PM
#4
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 63
Maybe this is a good thing, and by days end we'll have the update everyone has been waiting for.
09-02-2009, 01:57 PM
#5
Actually could be a good sign believe it or not.

Seeing the incompetence of their dev team, maybe the update was finally accepted and they decided to set the date a few days out so that they could create a formal announcement and ad campaign... of course once you do that on an app update it is immediately removed from the store until you reach the date specified!

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
09-02-2009, 01:58 PM
#6
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 108
OMG yay!!! That HAS to mean an update is imminent.
09-02-2009, 02:00 PM
#7
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderData View Post
Actually could be a good sign believe it or not.

Seeing the incompetence of their dev team, maybe the update was finally accepted and they decided to set the date a few days out so that they could create a formal announcement and ad campaign... of course once you do that on an app update it is immediately removed from the store until you reach the date specified!
If that were the case, wouldn't it be removed internationally? Shows up in the NZ store.
09-02-2009, 02:05 PM
#8
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkgoo View Post
If that were the case, wouldn't it be removed internationally? Shows up in the NZ store.
Interesting cause it seems to be gone from the States & the Uk. Perhaps we are the pilots?!
09-02-2009, 02:11 PM
#9
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 916
Ummmm... An update being accepted shouldn't have anything to do with it being taken down. It would just stay there and wait for the update to circulate or be released.... or am I missing something here?

Apps iLove: iBooks, Podcasts, Tweetbot, Reeder, Instapaper, SoundHound, MLS Live
Games iLove: Real Racing 2, Minecraft, Fieldrunners 2, Great Big War Game, FIFA 12
GameCenter: PeterM11
09-02-2009, 02:36 PM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM11 View Post
Ummmm... An update being accepted shouldn't have anything to do with it being taken down. It would just stay there and wait for the update to circulate or be released.... or am I missing something here?
Yep, you're missing the inner workings of the app store, which I am very familiar with. As a matter of fact, I actually did this very thing accidentally during a Rogue Touch update! Changed the date to the next day instead of the current day (or some other future date) when the update is approved, and "poof" you disappear from the store (and will not re-appear until that set date, unless you change it back to the current day). Lots of people have made that mistake before, and continue to do so even now

With that said, as mrkgoo points out if this is what they did, you'd expect it to be gone from ALL app stores worldwide...

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!