★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: X-plane Airliner

12-17-2008, 05:04 AM
X-plane Airliner

Well, there's been quite a bit of negative comment about X-plane Helicopter, so I thought it would be nice to point out that X-plane Airliner is actually a really, really nice app! It's great to try flying a number of huge airliners, but most importantly, this one has simply loads of airports. Most of which have several runways!

I was worried that an airliner game would involve long boring flights, but the first time I took off, I could already see another airport in the distance! The biggest problem I have is trying to work out where I want to land because the map is just crowded with airports and navigation beacons.

If you like X-plane, I would definately recommend this one.

Last edited by salsamd; 12-24-2008 at 08:51 PM.
12-17-2008, 05:52 AM
Here's the link.

Again, we see he has a map in this one which ranges 60x180 miles. Why couldn't he add to the map (or have two seperate locations) in the normal X-Plane app? I don't want this one or the heli one, as they look too complex for me.

12-17-2008, 08:24 AM
thanks Brendonian

I didn't get the original X-Plane - but this one is tempting

but as I'm not experienced in flight sims - I wonder (like wastedyuthe) if this might be too complex to be fun and not something for the casual gamer

do you reckon X-plane Airliner is something even a newbie to flight sims could get into - or would the orig X-plane be a better bet?
12-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by menom View Post
thanks Brendonian

but as I'm not experienced in flight sims - I wonder (like wastedyuthe) if this might be too complex to be fun and not something for the casual gamer

do you reckon X-plane Airliner is something even a newbie to flight sims could get into - or would the orig X-plane be a better bet?
Any of them will be fine. But, I think X-plane airliner is better. Its easy and fun to play if you like flight sims.
12-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by menom View Post
thanks Brendonian

Well when X-Plane first came out in the app store, it was great because it was simple enough for a casual gamer to play (such as myself). Now, even the normal X-Plane app seems overly complicated with all these numbers and dials in the map etc- no-one without full on sim or flight experience will know what the hell it all means. So, if you are not experienced, then I should think you'd be like me- you may get away with the original X-Plane app, but I'd strongly consider leaving these new ones alone if I were you (as I am doing).
12-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi Menom,

Airliner isn't really any more complex than the original other than the sheer number of runways. The map is seriously crowded with stuff to the point that it's hard to work out where you want to go.

For a beginner, I would definately say the original is the best place to start. The smaller planes are more fun because they're agile. The landscape is more interesting because of all the cool valleys to fly through, and I like exploring the lakes.

It's tricky to say whether you will enjoy this app. It's definately not a casual, pick-up and play game. But I didn't find it overly complex. You don't need to worry too much about the more complex stuff on the instrument panel until you're ready. You don't even need to worry about taking off and landing if you don't want to. You can always go to the 'place' option in the menus, and choose 'random loc' to start you in mid-air. Then you just need to throttle up and enjoy flying about until you're ready to try something more advanced.

If you have any more questions about these apps, Laminar customer services seem very willing to help, or feel free to PM me. I'm fairly knowledgeable about them, and I'd be happy to help.
12-17-2008, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
Well when X-Plane first came out in the app store, it was great because it was simple enough for a casual gamer to play (such as myself). Now, even the normal X-Plane app seems overly complicated with all these numbers and dials in the map etc- no-one without full on sim or flight experience will know what the hell it all means. So, if you are not experienced, then I should think you'd be like me- you may get away with the original X-Plane app, but I'd strongly consider leaving these new ones alone if I were you (as I am doing).
To be fair, the extra complication on the map doesn't really take anything away from the first version-it didn't even have a map at all!

The symbols on the map look confusing at first, but they just give you some basic information that's actually quite easy to understand. I'll give you an example:

The main airport (where you start) has the following information attached: "LOWI 26 LOC OEV 111.10"

Looks messy, doesn't it?

You can choose to ignore that information and just fly towards it on the map, then when you see the runway, you fly around it, line yourself up and then land on it.

Or, you can get a little bit of help from that string of gibberish.

Firstly, 'LOWI' is just the identifier of the runway/airport. The game includes 3 airports, LOWI, EDHR, and EDMK. It doesn't really matter what the letters mean, just think of these as names for the airports.

The number "26" represents the angle of the runway it just means that you should approach the airport on a compass bearing of 260 degrees (almost heading west) or of course you could arrive in the opposite direction, which is 80 degrees.

You can forget about "LOC" and "OEV". I don't know what these mean, but they won't help you with anything.

Finally "110.10" is the radio frequency that the airport transmits it's landing guidance information on. You only need this when you want to get really serious. It help you to land in bad weather conditions when you can't see the runway until you get really close. (I consider using the map as cheating because it stops time).
12-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks Brendonian. I knew what some of it meant, and still don't know about the rest such as LOC and OEV. And to be honest, I don't really want to know what they mean. I just want to fly around some hills and canyons (wish the heli map was in the X-Plane original app too) and land the plane, and fly taxi runs etc too.
This is the problem. How complicated should these games get? Do we think Austin is trying to make them too realistic?
12-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendonian View Post
Hi Menom,

Airliner isn't really any more complex than the original other than the sheer number of runways. The map is seriously crowded with stuff to the point that it's hard to work out where you want to go.

For a beginner, I would definately say the original is the best place to start. The smaller planes are more fun because they're agile. The landscape is more interesting because of all the cool valleys to fly through, and I like exploring the lakes.

It's tricky to say whether you will enjoy this app. It's definately not a casual, pick-up and play game. But I didn't find it overly complex. You don't need to worry too much about the more complex stuff on the instrument panel until you're ready. You don't even need to worry about taking off and landing if you don't want to. You can always go to the 'place' option in the menus, and choose 'random loc' to start you in mid-air. Then you just need to throttle up and enjoy flying about until you're ready to try something more advanced.

If you have any more questions about these apps, Laminar customer services seem very willing to help, or feel free to PM me. I'm fairly knowledgeable about them, and I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for the great explanation!
12-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Many thanks Stevemya, Watsedyuthe and Brendonian

very useful info from you all

hmmm - still not sure what to do though ;;

but that's due to my indecisive nature - not the usefulness of your responses

maybe I shouldn't be flying planes at all - with this degree of indecisiveness!!...