★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Gameloft
  • Genre: Simulation
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 348.2 MB
  • Version: 1.4.7
  • Price: $4.99
  • Average User Rating: 3.5 (4)
App description: NEWLY UPGRADED FOR iPHONE 4 with optimized graphics for the Retina display & gyroscope support for innovative controlling and aiming precision.

If you have customized the game interface in the previous version, please reset it to be able to play with gyroscope.
During a game session, go to Pause > Controls > Customize > Reset

You asked for it... We listened! Local and Online MULTIPLAYER are now available in a FREE update.

War is hell. Step inside.

Modern Combat: Sandstorm, Gamelofts new action-thriller will plunge you into the heart of modern war. Assigned to Mission Sandstorm, your duty is to locate and annihilate a new terrorist cell setting up shop and recruiting foreign insurgents in a remote desert hot spot. This jarring first person shooter will equip you with the most sophisticated and powerful modern-day weapons.

10 missions featuring varied and highly polished Middle Eastern environments (city, hospital, sewers, port, lab, training camp etc...)

Local multiplayer (through Wi-Fi and Bluetooth) and online multiplayer (through Wi-Fi connection): Up to 4 players competing in Deathmatch or Team Deathmatch in 3 Multiplayer maps

Intuitive iPhone controls offer unprecedented game fluidity. Choose among 3 different control systems: Default Controls, Screen Tap and Virtual Sticks

Use a wide range of authentic, advanced weapons (2 assault rifles, sniper rifle, RPG, shotgun, submachine gun, light machine gun, heavy machine gun mounted on a moving 4X4, explosive grenades, flashbang grenades, radiation detector) enriched with a leveling system that allows the player to progressively unlock weapons and use munitions from fallen foes

Aim and shoot with extra precision in Sniper and Ironsight mode

Highly polished 3D graphics provide full immersion into the military experience and high intensity combat

Cinematic snippets, military voice-overs and true-to-life situations increase game realism

Gameloft LIVE!

Brace yourself for war like youve never experienced it before.

Follow the official Twitter account to get more info about the game: http://twitter.com/Modern_combat/

Certain apps allow you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.

eggzbacon's comments:

Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
OK I just played through the tutorial, seems to run at 60fps or close to it on the 3GS, has complete music, voiceovers, the controls surprisingly aren't annoying either!

Overall my reaction so far:

Haven't gotten in to much of the actual game itself yet, but from a technical perspective, wow. Just, wow.
Originally Posted by RaZrVIN View Post
Some quick impressions. Game is smooth, running on my iPod Touch 2G. Controls are fluid, however I feel that the aim assist that kicks in when your crosshairs are close to a target makes the game much too easy. Luckily, you can turn the aim assist off. I just completed the training course. You can play your own music in the options menu. Other options include auto grenade- on or off, blood- on or off, lefty mode- on or off, and flip screen. There are three control options, the first default one, is a virtual analog stick to move on the left, aim/look around by swiping anywhere on the screen, and a shoot button on the bottom right. The second, is screen tap, which works by pressing and holding anywhere on the left half of the screen to move, and pressing and holding anywhere on the right screen to aim/look around. Fire by tapping the X that appears under your right thumb. The third control method is virtual sticks, which is two analog sticks for looking and moving, and you fire by tapping the center. You can increase/decrease sensitivity, and invert the y axis. There are four modes of difficulty, easy, medium, hard, and an unlockable "extreme" mode. So far this game is amazing, and I highly recommend it.
09-02-2009, 06:18 PM
yes and I have enough money...bought

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com

its 6.99 whoot!
how did you find this eggz

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com
I don't know about this one. If it plays decent at best, I will be impressed.
09-02-2009, 06:19 PM
So that 2 week delay thing was just a trick!

Hakuna Matata
09-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Wonder what happened to that delay they tweeted about?
I was assuming they meant delayed by weeks. Anyway, I think this has to be grabbed!

Am a bit concerned by only "10 missions", hopefully there's some meat to this gameplay to keep me coming back to it.

i guess i looked at the forums at the right time!

already bought...waiting for thee ol download.

its a beast! its 185 megabytes!

just throwin in my 2 pennies...
HOLY $#17!
This was completely unexpected, especially after that whole delay announcement.

OH MY GOD! I'm so happy, damn you Gameloft for tricking us with that tweet! Downloading!

Originally Posted by FilthyCanadian View Post
did you even look who posted it?
Originally Posted by Vester View Post
not really...... did u read my post? (i will assume u r in the usa)
09-02-2009, 06:21 PM
EDIT: There's no God mode...

and lastly we have the abu sayaf and MILF, two terrorist factions in the Philippines, and iv yet to see any fruits of labor from the government concerning these terrorist threats.
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
There's a MILF terrorist faction? Awesome! Sign me up.

Last edited by Slapshot; 09-03-2009 at 02:19 PM.