AppStore Release timing

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Columbo, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    We're gearing up to release our app very soon. I wondered if anyone had any experience with respect to timing the release.

I'd be interested to hear any opinions about the right time of year, or the right day of the week.

However, the particular thing I'm wondering about is whether it's a good idea or a bad idea to release at the same time new devices and OSs come out (iPhone6 and iOS8).

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Probably bad because I imagine some blockbuster games are coming. The only thing I can think of is just avoid the big releases if you can, although it is getting harder too with so many releases.

3. I think it's a bad idea, because Apple will focus big games that take benefit from iPhone6 power and iOS8 features.

If I could give you an advice, it's to wait for your app to be approved (it can take up to 3 weeks lately with IOS8), then set your release date 1 or 2 weeks after. And during that time send promo codes, go to the forum, make videos, etc. so that the game does not come out of nowhere.

Anyway good luck!!

4. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    In the end, we decided we couldn't wait, and have released worldwide today. Gives us a day or two before news sites are swamped with iOS8 coverage, and a couple more days before the new devices dominate the news.

iTunes link

5. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Is there a demo or anything, looks interesting but from screenshots I am not really sure what to expect.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I would have released midnight on Tuesday (weds) NZ time.

All the new releases seem 'mostly' to come out late Tuesday night, they always seem to get most coverage

7. NeWa_Studios

NeWa_Studios Active Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Northern VA
    We sent our app at a bad time when Apple was preparing to announce the iPhone 6. It took over 2 weeks. It's approved now but it's still not showing up in the App Store :confused:

8. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Takes up to a day. Doesn't happen immediately.

9. NeWa_Studios

NeWa_Studios Active Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Northern VA
    Ha! It took 3 days for me

10. DonKirkland

DonKirkland Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Games Designer & Programmer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Apple do their feature changeover late in the week, and I figure they need a day or two to decide what they're going to feature.

If they're looking specifically at games that are live, it means the best time to launch is late Tuesday or early Wednesday so you can be hot and new when they're deciding what to feature that's hot and new.

11. Jez Hammond

Jez Hammond Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2012
    I would imagine the iTC reviewer would put forward any recommendations for being featured.

12. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Anyone know the best times to price drop? Is there a certain time app sites pickup price drops or anything like that?

13. PrototyperGame

PrototyperGame Active Member

Sep 21, 2014
    Developers
    US and TW
    Congrats!
    From our experience. We should publish ASAP.
    To make sure the build is all stable.
    Pick a more confident date for App Store feature.

14. Benjonesdesign

Sep 18, 2014
    Mobile app and games designer
    London, UK
    We definitely learnt from this one! We release at the same time as iPhone 6 release. Had a lot of delays and in the end the market was saturated with new content as well as updates for iOS8, timing really is everything.