iPod Touch 6: do you think there will be one?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Chocolate, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    So we now have the big screened iPhone 6 and 6+.

Do you think Apple will also make an iPod Touch 6th gen with a bigger screen? And if they do, will they offer 2 screen sizes, or just one (probably the 4.7" IMO)?

Personally, I'm not sure. My gut says the iPod Touch series is dying, but we'll see.

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Kinda tough to tell. I think the best move they could make would be if they made an iPod Touch designed specifically for gaming. Keep all the specs of the new phones but bolster the RAM and battery.

Though, the only flaw in that is it would make to device around $800 as that's how much an iPhone costs without a contract.

It'll just be tip if for Apple to introduce another iPod with 2 year old specs. It won't be worth it. At that point you could just buy an iPhone 5 without contract for the same price

3. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    The iPods have really slowed down in sales, and Apple discontinued the iPod Classic in the past week. I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually discontinue all iPods at some point. They should keep making them if they are still worth doing, even with a 2-3 year wait in between new devices.

I suppose anything's possible with the new iPads coming out within the next couple months, and they could announce new iPods then. But they did quietly update their 16gig device. Who knows what they actually plan on doing.

I still have my 4th gen Touch, and the only thing I use it for anymore is to check email and run video apps to earn money from another site.

4. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Read something on the MacRumors yesterday that a iPod Touch 6 will be announced next month. Next question is, will it keep the current screen size, or go to 4.7? It's also extremely unlikely we'll see a 5.5

5. sampdx

sampdx Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Well I hope it gets at least a 4.7" and an A7 chip. I would buy one then...

6. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I think it makes sense to max out the price of any iPod at $400. If I were Apple, I'd start from the price and work backwards.

It should probably stay small and it's probably okay to give it last-gen features. I would think the iPhone 5C spec would be a good starting point, with features and specs stripped out to get it to the right price.

7. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Probably, when the 6s launches and it'll have the 6's specs

8. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'd buy a non gimped iPod Touch, won't happen though.

9. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Maybe, but I doubt it. I would think that any next bump would be more like a 5c.

It looks like the current model (launched Summer 2014) has similar specs as the iPhone 4S from Fall 2011.

See http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod_Touch

10. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    #10 dancj, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    But at the time the 4s was the current iPhone - so I'd expect the new iPod to match the current iPhone - but with less ram as always.

11. GreenAlex96

GreenAlex96 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2014
    I sure hope they do. I'm tired of the touch being second banana to the phone XD

It wouldn't hugely bother me if they don't, as I'm upgrading to the 6 atm. But it's a huge bummer for people who can't get a data plan :/

12. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    you can buy the iphone without a data plan contract free.

as for the ipod hardware.. it needs to be a generation behind in specs to allow for the low price in the first place.

if apple would sell an ipod with iphone 6 specs it might be 100$ less, so would not make much sense. 650 or 550 does not make much of a difference and i doubt there is a market for such an high end ipod touch.

not to mention that not only the hardware is "older" but the display is of lower quality too. at least it was with the ones i saw. most might not mind, but the iphone means to buy the best apple has to offer and the lower end market never really was that important, sales and volume wise.

13. iPhones iOS

iPhones iOS Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Rochester, New York
    I think that there will be an iPod Touch 6G, just in January/February/March/April of next year.