Universal Heroes Above - Quick Tactical Strategy Game!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by pandaryll, Sep 15, 2014.

1. pandaryll

pandaryll Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Game Designer
    Quezon City
    #1 pandaryll, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    Hi all!

We're currently working on a strategy game that focuses on team-vs-team battles. You are a captain of an airship and your job is to command your crew of heroes against another player's crew in order to protect your home island.

[​IMG]

Gameplay focuses on summoning and leveling-up your heroes during PVP. You can also use your ship's skill to turn the tide of battle.

Here are a few mockups of the game so far

Battle - You battle other players and their ship. Battle is asynchronous PVP. Both ships steadily approach one another until they clash. Melee units can only attack after clash while Ranged units can attack even before ships clash

[​IMG]

Defense Editor - other players can only attack you when your are offline. This is where you setup your defensive units in preparation for a player's attack
    [​IMG]

Ships - each ship varies in their skill, mana generation and crystal location
    [​IMG]

We'll be posting a gameplay trailer in the near future. Stay tuned!

2. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    So, I believe it is a freemium title..

3. pandaryll

pandaryll Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Game Designer
    Quezon City
    Hi nkarafo!

Yes we plan to make it a free to play game with in-app purchases.

Rest assured that the game is not pay to win. How you progress in the game will ultimately depend on your skill as a strategist.

We'll post more info on each hero later!

4. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Wow this looks great!

5. jgainsbrugh

jgainsbrugh Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Could you just make it FTP for the first couple levels then pay to unlock full game or something? FTP is the kiss of death. Hehe

6. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This looks a little familiar...

7. pandaryll

pandaryll Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Game Designer
    Quezon City
    That might segregate the potential user base to payers and non-payers :) Still, we'll look into your suggestion. :D

8. pandaryll

pandaryll Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Game Designer
    Quezon City
    Familiar in terms of look or concept? We'd like to know if there are existing games like these out there :)

9. pandaryll

pandaryll Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Game Designer
    Quezon City
    Thanks! :)

10. DanRiverBrew

DanRiverBrew Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2013
    I got excited when I read the thread title and saw the first screenshot. But as soon as i see what looks like 5 different currency/timers on the town screen I am immediately turned off. I won't even try it if it has more than 2 currencies now a days. Plus the timer that shows 12h 12m is just scary. I hope you listen to jgainsbrugh and possibly read one of the articles on TA from a couple months ago about a game that switched from free to paid after a year and made more money in the first month or 2 than the whole previous year. Freemiums are dying, as i think finally after 5 years, most idiots are catching on to the scheme and quitting playing.

11. pandaryll

pandaryll Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Game Designer
    Quezon City
    #11 pandaryll, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Is it this article? http://toucharcade.com/2014/06/24/big-action-mega-fight-goes-premium/

Thanks for the insight! We'll definitely take a look at other models. If ever we launch Heroes Above as a paid app, how much are you willing to spend for this type of game?

12. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    There is also a story from Foursaken Media doing the same thing that might be interesting to you guys. I believe it's in the Spelunky (Upcoming) thread but if not it might be in the Phantom RIft (Upcoming) thread.

I'd likely pay .99 or 1.99 (after looking again at max 2.99 but at that price point I think you start losing at least half of your potential consumers) for a game like this if all the timers were taken out and it wasn't pushing iAP at every turn. Just my opinion

13. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #13 JCho133, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    Depending on the breadth of content, I could easily see myself paying $2-$4.

It seems like a cool TBS that's trying to do something unique in the world of asynchronous multiplayer, with the ships and the defense phase.

Do you have plans for leveling systems for your units, or anything of the like?

But wouldn't that be the same for players that bought IAPs and those who didn't?

Anyhoo, I'm glad you guys are taking a serious look into changing the payment model