iPhone Sentinels of the Multiverse (coming Oct. 16th!!)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MrMojoRisin, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    If you are at all a board game/card game aficionado such as myself, you might have heard of a game called Sentinels of the Multiverse. If you haven't, you should look it up, but in a nutshell, it's a badass superhero themed cooperative card game that puts anything the "big boys" have come out with to shame, for real. You might even, as I do, actually have a copy of the game right next to you at this very moment. *looks to the right and nods toward his copy of SotM*

There is a very well made and well received app on the store right now called Sentinels Sidekick, which is a great boon to those of us that play SotM and don't want to physically track the many stats and conditions that can take place during a game, such as HP of all the chars, current bonuses and penalties due to powers and items in play, and the like.

But the developer of Sidekick, Handelabra Games, did not stop there. They went ahead and made a full on app version of the game they are calling Sentinels of the Multiverse: The Video Game. Pretty appropriate name, no?

Here are some quotes from their announcement that this gem of an app is coming to the App Store and Google Play on Oct. 16th!

So if you are a fan of the game and have an iPad, then Oct. 16 is going to be an oh so happy day indeed. But if you have never heard of it and have an iPad, then you have a chance to check out, for a decent price, a very awesome superhero card game that offers tons of variety and replay value, as well as great tactical decisions that really make you feel like you are in an ass kicking superhero team taking on evil. And the app version is going to give you that experience without all the "fiddliness" and "bookkeeping" that are the ONLY main legit complaints that people have about this game.

Can you tell that I'm excited about this game coming out?

2. Domisan

Domisan Active Member

Aug 27, 2014
    nice, i am def. interested! i am in germany so how long do i have to wait for it?:confused:

3. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    They said it should be simultaneously released in all countries, especially since they are having a "contest" where the first 5000 to get the app and register it will have a special promo card shipped to them ANYWHERE around the world.

But they also said they are looking into the timing for different countries and will let us know.

4. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    yep. knew about this coming for awhile now. its the reason i didn't pick up the cardboard version. plus its only 10 bucks compared to the much more expensive physical version. i saw the hands on video a couple of weeks ago, and was very impressed with how it plays.

buying mage knight now instead. can't wait, one more month.

5. Domisan

Domisan Active Member

Aug 27, 2014
    what is mage knight? can't find anything for ipad...

6. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Mage Knight is only a board game, though if an IOS version ever exists it's a day 1 purchase for me. Hell, a day 0 purchase. I'll buy it before it's released through sheer force of will.

SOTM is absolutely a purchase for me, I adore the card game despite its notorious fiddliness. Letting an app handle all the calculations while I light dinosaurs on fire is right up my alley.

7. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    The game is less a month from release, so why not post anything about it here like screenthots, video or other art?

8. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    there has been 2 articles about it at pockettactics. go there and search. there is a 5 min video of it in action too there.

9. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    The only slight negative I see is that, after playing with the expansions, the relatively small number of heroes and villains in the initial set will feel limiting. If the app is successful, I'm sure that the other sets will eventually exist at DLC, and the app will be particularly handy with some of the more complex characters (Matriarch, Spite, Argent Adept come to mind).

10. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Ya, I can see that if you've played it a lot already, but I just got the base game this weekend and have played about one and a half games so far. And the one I finished, I'm pretty sure I flubbed a major rule on. So I'm REALLY looking forward to this app and will be playing it a lot before I'm sure any form of "saminess" sets in. By then, the expansions will probably be out.

11. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Count me excited, I enjoy a good card game. I have never played the game since I don't have any friends that like to play card/board games and I always play them solo on iOS. Now I have something new to look forward to playing next month.

12. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    If you only flubbed one major rule, you did a great job. I play this solo a lot, playing 3 or 4 heroes, and I always screw something up.

It's definitely true that even the base game has a lot of variety, and that speaks to how unique each character feels. Playing Legacy, in which you spend most of the game standing there, looking inspirational, and making everybody else more awesome is totally different than, say, Absolute Zero, where you burn your own HP as a resource to hurt everybody nearby you.

13. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Well if I had played it right, I probably would have lost. I was fighting Baron Blade, and I defeated his first side (with like 13 or 14 cards in his discard I think), and I was using the Sidekick app, so when I reduced his first side to 0 HP in Sidekick, it removed all the cards he had in play, so I thought that's what I was supposed to do. He had a lot of nasty stuff out, too. So with that all gone, it was then possible for me to win, which would have been A LOT harder had I left him with all his goodies.

But yeah, there is so much playability in this game. Like you were saying, Legacy is pretty much the stand there and lead type of guy, but I'm not sure I would want to play as him as my only character in a mp game. Then there is everyone's favorite lesbian speedster, Tachyon, who is pretty much the opposite, in that you will have PLENTY of action in a given turn. And when she get's goin', she gets goin'! I also enjoyed building up Wraith (pretty much a female Batman) with some nasty power combos with her gadgets and such.

Man, is it the 16th yet?

14. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Hello guys,

Here is a link http://handelabra.com/blog/2014/10/2/further-details-on-our-october-16th-release-of-sotm where you can find more information about the release and the promotion linked to it.

Unfortunately, I discovered through twitter that they submitted for review the app Monday 6th Knowning the huge delays with Apple, it is more likely to see the release delayed. The average for a review turns around 11 days. However, it becomes closer from 14-15 days.

I am crossing my fingers for Apple to review this app before the 16th.

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It now, according to PocketTactics, might drop a day earlier!

16. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Yeah, according to PT, it is going to be a simultaneous worldwide release. It will be arriving in my time zone at 8am Wednesday morning.

17. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Because Apple reviewed it earlier than they thought, Handelabrah will release the game a day earlier. They posted it on their blog.

18. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Well if Jim Morrison says it's badass, I believe it. Never heard of it, but will probably buy on the strength of these forums, as usual.

19. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    #19 MrMojoRisin, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    Heh, thanks! And I just got a promo of it to write a review, and it is indeed awesome. Was coming to post about it coming out a day earlier, but you guys beat me to it!

It is a bit pricey at $10, so you might want to check out some info on the actual physical game before buying. But if the game itself looks like something you might enjoy, then the app will probably be awesome for you too. It's a great and professional conversion that takes out all of the fiddlyness and bookkeeping of the physical game and still leaves all of the fun.

It will be even better with expansions, of course, but buying the base app is the surest way to do your part to make sure we get them. And with 4 villians, 4 locations, and 10 heroes, there is A LOT to play with even in the base app since you will only ever be playing with 1 location, 1 villain, and 3-5 heroes in a given game.

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Bah, I only take my game recommendations from the Lizard King! ;)