★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Sentinels of the Multiverse (coming Oct. 16th!!)

09-15-2014, 10:15 PM
Sentinels of the Multiverse (coming Oct. 16th!!)

If you are at all a board game/card game aficionado such as myself, you might have heard of a game called Sentinels of the Multiverse. If you haven't, you should look it up, but in a nutshell, it's a badass superhero themed cooperative card game that puts anything the "big boys" have come out with to shame, for real. You might even, as I do, actually have a copy of the game right next to you at this very moment. *looks to the right and nods toward his copy of SotM*

There is a very well made and well received app on the store right now called Sentinels Sidekick, which is a great boon to those of us that play SotM and don't want to physically track the many stats and conditions that can take place during a game, such as HP of all the chars, current bonuses and penalties due to powers and items in play, and the like.

But the developer of Sidekick, Handelabra Games, did not stop there. They went ahead and made a full on app version of the game they are calling Sentinels of the Multiverse: The Video Game. Pretty appropriate name, no?

Here are some quotes from their announcement that this gem of an app is coming to the App Store and Google Play on Oct. 16th!

Quote:
Prepare yourselves! SotM: The Video Game is coming Oct. 16th!

The title says it all: Sentinels of the Multiverse: The Video Game will be released October 16th!

The game will appear in the App Store, Google Play Store, & Amazon Appstore for Android for $9.99.

Sentinels of the Multiverse: The Video Game is a 100% faithful translation of the card game, and will include all content from the Sentinels of the Multiverse Enhanced Edition:
10 Heroes: Absolute Zero, Bunker, Fanatic, Haka, Legacy, Ra, Tachyon, Tempest, The Visionary, & The Wraith
4 Villains: Baron Blade, Citizen Dawn, Grand Warlord Voss, & Omnitron
4 Environments: Insula Primalis, Megalopolis, Ruins of Atlantis, and Wagner Mars Base

The MSRP of the physical Enhanced Edition is $39.95, but you'll be able to get the digital version on your Android tablet or iPad for just $9.99.

All of the Enhanced Edition content will be available to play immediately upon purchase - there's nothing additional to buy! In the future, we will be making expansion packs (Rook City, Infernal Relics, etc.) available as DLC. Other updates will include new features like network multiplayer, and a few other things we're keeping under our hat. Finally, after the initial release we'll also be working on support for additional platforms, including PC (Steam)
So if you are a fan of the game and have an iPad, then Oct. 16 is going to be an oh so happy day indeed. But if you have never heard of it and have an iPad, then you have a chance to check out, for a decent price, a very awesome superhero card game that offers tons of variety and replay value, as well as great tactical decisions that really make you feel like you are in an ass kicking superhero team taking on evil. And the app version is going to give you that experience without all the "fiddliness" and "bookkeeping" that are the ONLY main legit complaints that people have about this game.

Can you tell that I'm excited about this game coming out?
09-16-2014, 05:56 AM
nice, i am def. interested! i am in germany so how long do i have to wait for it?

09-16-2014, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domisan View Post
nice, i am def. interested! i am in germany so how long do i have to wait for it?
They said it should be simultaneously released in all countries, especially since they are having a "contest" where the first 5000 to get the app and register it will have a special promo card shipped to them ANYWHERE around the world.

But they also said they are looking into the timing for different countries and will let us know.
09-16-2014, 08:26 AM
yep. knew about this coming for awhile now. its the reason i didn't pick up the cardboard version. plus its only 10 bucks compared to the much more expensive physical version. i saw the hands on video a couple of weeks ago, and was very impressed with how it plays.

buying mage knight now instead. can't wait, one more month.
09-16-2014, 08:44 AM
what is mage knight? can't find anything for ipad...
09-16-2014, 10:33 AM
Mage Knight is only a board game, though if an IOS version ever exists it's a day 1 purchase for me. Hell, a day 0 purchase. I'll buy it before it's released through sheer force of will.

SOTM is absolutely a purchase for me, I adore the card game despite its notorious fiddliness. Letting an app handle all the calculations while I light dinosaurs on fire is right up my alley.
09-16-2014, 11:55 AM
The game is less a month from release, so why not post anything about it here like screenthots, video or other art?
09-16-2014, 12:21 PM
there has been 2 articles about it at pockettactics. go there and search. there is a 5 min video of it in action too there.
09-16-2014, 05:32 PM
The only slight negative I see is that, after playing with the expansions, the relatively small number of heroes and villains in the initial set will feel limiting. If the app is successful, I'm sure that the other sets will eventually exist at DLC, and the app will be particularly handy with some of the more complex characters (Matriarch, Spite, Argent Adept come to mind).
09-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope-X View Post
The only slight negative I see is that, after playing with the expansions, the relatively small number of heroes and villains in the initial set will feel limiting. If the app is successful, I'm sure that the other sets will eventually exist at DLC, and the app will be particularly handy with some of the more complex characters (Matriarch, Spite, Argent Adept come to mind).
Ya, I can see that if you've played it a lot already, but I just got the base game this weekend and have played about one and a half games so far. And the one I finished, I'm pretty sure I flubbed a major rule on. So I'm REALLY looking forward to this app and will be playing it a lot before I'm sure any form of "saminess" sets in. By then, the expansions will probably be out.