★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

[OPEN BETA TESTING] Hexi: A Romance in Two Dimensions

09-17-2014, 01:55 PM
[OPEN BETA TESTING] Hexi: A Romance in Two Dimensions

I am currently working on a Pattern Matching game with RPG/City Builder elements for iOS. As the game is nearing its completion, I would greatly appreciate some testers to help me balance it out. If you're interested, please reply to this thread and we'll take it from there. The beta will be run through Test Flight.

About the game:

You are a researcher investigating a colony of Hexis - sentient hexagonal beings inhabiting the game's world.

The game is split into a pattern matching section and a city building section, with the RPG part tying it all together. You construct buildings, level up residents, improve your techniques, and all other sorts of goodies. It's a bit of a unique blend of elements, so I suppose the best way to understand it is to play it

I've attached some screenshots, but if you need any more information please feel free to ask.

Thank you,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	final1.png
Views:	1
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	78273   Click image for larger version

Name:	final2.png
Views:	4
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	78274   Click image for larger version

Name:	final3.png
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	78275  

Click image for larger version

Name:	final4.png
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	78276   Click image for larger version

Name:	final5.png
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	78277  
09-18-2014, 08:09 AM
I would love to be involved for beta testing such an unusual game!

You allready have my info.
I look forward to it!
09-18-2014, 08:14 AM
Alright, let's take it up a notch. Since almost nobody seemed to care after my rather humble introduction above, and the thread is slowly sinking into forum oblivion while I watch in agonizing distress how all my hard work is being swept under the virtual rug... I'm going to write a small essay explaining why I think you actually should care. And this time, hopefully you will. I mean surely I'm not the only PMRPCB fan out there! :P

Yes, I know the basic description of the game is very abstruse, and it doesn't run on the Fox Engine, but that's not necessarily what makes a game, and you know it. So if you appreciate experimentation in games, new approaches and combinations, then please read on. And perhaps at the end help me make a better game by being a tester.

I can best describe the game as an amalgam of Kairosoft, Mafia Wars and Dots. Allow me to explain how... and WHY I felt the inescapable urge to stuff all three genres into each other.

Mafia Wars - I appreciated the addictiveness. The bars filling up, the constant collecting. I did not like however the inane gameplay and lack of variation. There was more or less only one way to play it and that was to grind your way through a preset path. There was no way to get better at it than others, except by accumulating more hours of play, or paying for it.

Kairosoft - An interesting concept in some of my favorite Kairosoft titles are the mini-games which provide a nice interlude between the main parts of the game and allow you to gauge the effectiveness of your changes - Grand Prix Story has the racing mini-game, Pocket League has the match, and so on. Some are automatic, some allow for varying degrees of input. All of them are fairly satisfying but lack the addictive nature of... a pattern matching game. Tetris, Bejewled, Dots and so on.

Dots - I appreciate the emergence that simple pattern matching games allow for. But I find no purpose to them. RPGs have purpose. That purpose is to level up. :-| ... just kidding, you also improve stats and gain new techniques.

And so looking at all the good in the 3 titles above (2 titles and a company actually...), and the bad, I made Hexi. A game with all the fun of more advanced city building/RPG titles, but with the immediacy of a mobile game. Casual, but not compromising in its depth. Easy to get into, but with lots of new elements to discover and experiment with. A game which, returning to the alluring abbreviation above, can therefore be very simply described as a PMRPCB - pattern matching role playing city builder. But the gaudy abbreviation aside, consider that while an exotic blend of genres may make something convoluted, it may, when concocted properly, also make something very refreshing.

So will you please give me your IDs, emails, house keys and passwords, and help me test it already? In return, I will give you my undying gratitude, and hopefully many hours of fun. Fair deal?

PS - though this sort of ruins the joke I should probably add it in - don't actually give me any passwords! Just making sure...