★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Facebook Page, Is It Worth It?

09-03-2009, 07:34 AM
Facebook Page, Is It Worth It?

Who here follows iPhone developers on Facebook? And which devs, if any, use Facebook well?
09-03-2009, 08:01 AM
(Input from a non-dev): I dont really follow devs on Facebook. A lot of my colleagues and supervisors from work are also on Facebook so its a little weird to have them realize that I am playing so many games lol

Twitter is different. I have a twitter account just for my gaming needs

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG

09-03-2009, 08:36 AM
We certainly tweet, but it's considering if the additional effort in maintaining a Facebook page is worth the pay back, which I think, like you suggest Prab, it probably isn't.

Still, I'm keen to know what others think devs and non-devs alike
09-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Created a Twitter account to get codes, and so far have won a number of them (including one this morning, thanks Zinc Roe!) just from checking Twitter occasionally. If I had an iPhone, I'd have a Twitter app on with push on so I'd be able to spot things more frequently.

That being said there is no way in hell I am touching Facebook - my wife and her friends are all on there and if I get a Facebook page, I'll have to add her (and some friends) and get stuck wading through all their jibber-jabber as well as she'd probably notice I'm spending way too much time code grubbing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-03-2009, 11:07 AM
hey there. Craneballs studios is using facebook! We really would like to see you all there!

Check it out: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Craneballs/155600825759
09-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Hello,

we at Handjoy use social networks too. You can follow us on Twitter or you can became fan of our first iPhone game called Jumboo on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jumboo/109526707827

Or follow it on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jumboo_game.

From my point of view, Twitter works better when it comes to marketing your games / conversation with fans, friends or colleagues.

Michal
09-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Follow'D

I like Twitter better than Facebook as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-03-2009, 11:37 AM
App Tech Studios just uses Twitter (follow us ), although I have thought about Facebook. I think that between a Twitter and a Blog I am ok.
09-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to micah
I made a facebook page for Insurgent Games, but as it's only been around for like a week I personally know everyone who's a fan (become a fan! ). And I have a blog as well.

I've been thinking about making a twitter account too, but I've never actually used it before, and the endless stream of 140 character tweets intimidates me. Has anyone found that having a twitter account helps you a bunch as a game dev?

--=] Insurgent Games website | twitter [=-
Cryptose (TA) - Skeleton Key (TA) - Skeleton Key HD (TA link) - Aeropack (TA)
09-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to JuncoPartner
We at Redwind Software are on Twitter RedwindSoft

Although all of our games and games coming have facebook pages and integration for posting scores etc I don't really see the benefit to having an actual page for the company itself. Twitter seems a much better home for that sort of thing