iPhone 6 & 6+ shortage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Amenbrother, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Man anyone else get screwed out of a new phone? I called several stores and they all got like 10 iPhone 6 +'s in and they were gone the minute they opened because of people like spending the night there... Why doesnt Apple send like 200 to each store man they know they will still sell like hotcakes. Anyone care to give me there opinion why stores dont have like any of these new phones?

2. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    6's aren't all that low in supply, but yeah the 6+ is. Can't remember the exact stats so don't quote me but display yield rate for the 6+ is still lingering around 50% as opposed to the 6's 90%. This means that they can't pump out as many phones since half of the displays need to be scrapped.

Factories are pumping 540,000 phones out a day, 140,000 6+'s and 400,000 6's. It's no surprise that the 6+ seems mythical at this point considering Apple has to ship out all the 3-4 week backorder which certainly have priority over walk in purchases at retail stores.

3. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Dang :( I am never going to get a 6 plus huh...

4. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I laughed at the people who walked in to my store today asking nonchalantly to buy a iPhone 6. I asked if they pre-ordered. They said no. I tried my hardest to let them down softly. At least at Verizon, we only get a small amount that aren't pre-orders. I would have thought the morning news showing people waiting for days to get a new iPhone would tip them off. Do they think those people are waiting just for the fun of it?

Edit: and I never even saw a 6+ today.

5. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    In the mail today my family got 2 6+s and 3 6s. We didn't even order them at midnight. We ordered them at like noon that day haha.

6. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
  7. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    News of a shortage is always a good way to ensure orders.

8. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    When do you guys think stores will get more 6 plus's? Should I just give stores a call every Friday or something?

9. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Crikey you must be rolling in money. :eek:

10. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    No one can really be sure at this point. If the low stock and 3-4 week backorder are any indication, maybe mid October to November. In my experience calling stores has been one of least helpful ways to track down phones. Last year when I was trying to get the 5s I was calling Best Buys and Apple stores left and right. Both misled me. The apple stores would tell me that they had plenty of stock, I would make the 30min-1 hour drive and then they would promptly tell me they haven't had stock all day. Best Buy told me the didn't have any 5 days in a row, I ended up driving there, placing an order, came home and not even 5 mins after I walked through the door I got a email saying my order was ready for pick up

TL;DR: calling stores and asking about stock is awful in my experience.

EDIT: Just thought I'd come back and say that this was my experience, your experience could be completely different.

Good luck my friend

11. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    I walked into an iPhone case/accessories store yesterday where they had a decent supply of iPhone 6 cases. I asked if they had any 6 Plus cases and a girl working there cluelessly replied with "Well, they aren't out yet so we won't really have any until they come out". Confused I pulled mine out of my pocket and her face was priceless. In that one store 5 people asked if they could hold it haha (maybe it wasn't very smart to let them but I did).

It was honestly harder for me to get a case then the actual phone itself.

12. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    No I appreciate you sharing your experience with calling. Thanks.

13. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah I'd say give it a month or two and you'll be able to walk into pretty much any store and get them. Kind of the same thing with new consoles. At first it's almost impossible to find but after a couple months they are everywhere

14. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Yea just sucks man I wanted the 6 plus bad!

15. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Dude don't lose hope! Just keep calling stores (You'll probably have better luck then me), and just keep walking in and checking. Worst comes to worst, hey you gotta wait a month but hey, it just makes the unboxing so much better.!

In other news, my 6 finally shipped yesterday from Apple and comes the 25th(hopefully earlier!! :D)

It won't be a huge upgrade from my 5S but I'll sure as hell enjoy Apple pay and the bigger screen!

16. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Nice man did you get the plus?

17. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Just the regular 6, I don't think I'm ready to lug around such a large phone. Maybe in the future. I am jeleous of the battery life though, I could always just grab a mophie though I guess. I actually got to mess around with a + the other day at the AT&T store when returning some cases(side note: anybody getting a 6, avoid the Incipio Phenom cases at least for now, while they look ok, once they're on the phone they're bulky and the buttons are a pain to press) and I think I'd have to give up my iPad if I ever bought a phone that large, it would take some getting used to

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I had no trouble getting a 6 (not plus) on release day. Heck, I walked into a Sprint store an hour after they opened and they had all colors in 64 GB size (I didn't ask about 128 or 16). However, they said they received ZERO 6+ models. Those all sold out as pre-orders. I didn't want the plus model, so this was fine with me.

19. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011

Thats exactly what I was thinking was to use a 6 plus only instead of my iPad and iPhone.

20. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX

Do iPhone 6s distort shape in your pocket?