★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iPod touch firmware 2.1 is out now

09-09-2008, 08:15 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
iPod touch firmware 2.1 is out now (EDIT2: or maybe yes!)

I am downloading it as I type. I don't know why it's been released early, but there it is. I don't know if you have to first upgrade to iTunes 8.0 or not, but I am running iTunes 8.0. I also had to manually click the "Check for Update" button. Perhaps when Jobs said Friday he meant for the iPhone, or perhaps this is an accidental release of a beta version. I don't care. With all the problems I have had with the pre-alpha that is 2.0.x, whatever I'm downloading can't be any worse!

Last edited by crunc; 09-09-2008 at 08:31 PM.
09-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Well, that didn't last. The download finished and it "extracted" the software, but when trying to sync it just gave an error. I tried it a second time and got the same result. Oh well. I'll try again tomorrow. It could just be a server overload issue.

EDIT: Further, iTunes wouldn't finish quitting after this. I had to force quit it. So... I wouldn't recommend it, though no harm was done to my iPod Touch. Subsequent launch of iTunes just synced like normal, although it still says that the update is available and I could click that Update button again. Must ... resist ....

Last edited by crunc; 09-09-2008 at 08:29 PM.

09-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Worked perfectly fine for me. Everything seems much smoother including installing apps directly from my Touch. Extremely happy at the moment.
09-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Oooh! Then I will try that Update button again. Maybe I should toss the download and have it redownload it.

EDIT: Yeah! After (force) quitting and relaunching iTunes as noted above, I was then able to do the update - I didn't have to redownload. Actually, it did give a curious dialog telling me that I was syncing and asking if I wanted to cancel the sync and install the update anyway, even though it wasn't syncing at the time. I did let it sync first, but that sync was done. I just clicked OK and then it proceeded. Actually there is more weird behavior. It is syncing, after the update, and it keeps saying that the sync is complete, but the iPod is still showing the sync as continuing, and then another phase of syncing starts. Weird. In any case it completed eventually. About shows the firmware as 2.1.

EDIT2: one quick observation: AppStore updates are still busted. I can see in iTunes that there are updates available for some of my apps, but in the AppStore on the iPod Touch it says that there are no updates available. When I try to download updates in iTunes, I get an error message. Sigh. Not a great sign....

Last edited by crunc; 09-09-2008 at 08:53 PM.
09-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Wow, weird stuff...
Only thing I can say is maybe that will always be a problem (difference between app store and iTunes), but if all the other major bugs are fixed (crashing apps, freezing apple logo, etc) I personally can deal with out of sync update notification
09-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
EDIT2: one quick observation: AppStore updates are still busted. I can see in iTunes that there are updates available for some of my apps, but in the AppStore on the iPod Touch it says that there are no updates available. When I try to download updates in iTunes, I get an error message. Sigh. Not a great sign....
This has to do with Apple's servers.

There are Apple Itunes server, and Mobile Itunes servers.

The actual store servers are updated way before the mobile ones. Even then the servers are staggered so one minute you will see updates but when you try to get them they will be gone. It's because you are being sent from server to server.

Another problem is that Mobile Itunes says you have an update, when you try to get it there are a lot of errors or does not complete. It is because Mobile Itunes KNOWS their are updates but when you try to get it you are brought to the version you already have. So you are actually downloading the version you already have. When you sync with your comp you get all kinds of errors, then you have to delete the app completely from the iphone/ipod touch before it will sync correctly again

I really hope they get this handled
09-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Needs smaller footprint. On my status screen, "Other" accounts for 394.4 MB. It used to be only around 150 MB when I first bought the ipod touch less than a year ago. Don't get me wrong. I think the new features are fantastic! So I guess it's worth the extra 250 MBs.
09-10-2008, 08:09 AM
So far, aside from the updates issue, 2.1 is looking good. I got a chance to test out something that caused problems before and doesn't now: if you start installing an app while you have an internet connection, and then lose that internet connection (but still have a wifi connection), eventually you get a dialog saying it couldn't connect to the server and with the option to cancel or retry. That's nothing new. What is new is that, unlike before, if you choose Cancel, you don't end up with a dead application icon left behind that still says "loading". Now it removes the icon.

I haven't been daring enough, yet, to try going back to the app store while an app is installing. That was the cause of two hard crashes and rendering of my iPod Touch useless with 2.0.x (didn't happen every time, but did happen twice.) This would be harder to do, though, because app installs via the AppStore app are definitely *much* faster now. Pleasingly quick. Oh, and yes, backups during syncs are much better too, so syncing is no longer an abominable chore.

My other two on-iPod hard crashes/endless Apple logo events with 2.0.x were also related to trying to do something else while an app was installing. For instance, once I was installing an app and made the mistake of trying to run the game Word Whirl while it was doing so. Boom! Apple logo forever. I really don't think it had anything to do with Word Whirl, that was just the app I happened to try running.

My other 2 hard crashes leading to endless Apple logo happened during an install via iTunes on my Mac, via a sync, when that was all it was doing. In 2.0.x, installing apps was dangerous. So far so good with 2.1, but it's only been a short time. I'm still a bit scared of those "Install" buttons....

So, yeah, definitely install the update. It's better.
09-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
So far so good with 2.1, but it's only been a short time. I'm still a bit scared of those "Install" buttons....

So, yeah, definitely install the update. It's better.
Funny you say that as I was quite scared myself to try installing an app directly from my Touch as that always caused a total crash and need to restore for me. I've installed 3 apps so far and they all installed and worked perfectly. Install was also super quick.
I still hesitate myself to do anything else while it's installing but at the same time, now that it's so quick, it's really not that big of a deal.
I personally don't think I'll be doing anything while it's installing until I hear people say that there are no issues. As I mentioned previously, 2.1 really seems fast and stable at this moment. Very pleasantly surprised, I must admit.