Lion Pig - Arcade-Style Platform Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Stingman, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    #1 Stingman, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014

Lion Pig is a retro arcade-style platform / speed run game with pixel graphics. From the bright and sunny Grasslands to the moss-covered skyscrapers of Techno City, you will run, climb, swim, and bounce your way through 7 different worlds, each with their own challenges. Climb walls, scale ceilings and use your lion strength to maneuver your way through each level to collect all of the Lion Pig coins. Complete levels fast enough and you will unlock bonus levels which offer some very unique gameplay, some of which include timed movement, anti gravity and color switching mechanics. There are also hidden items to collect and if you are into it: the competitive aspect to earn faster times on the Leaderboards.

A few unique things about Lion Pig:

1. You play as a Lion Pig. He's cute, he's tough and he's ready for adventure :)
    1. The game has a heavy focus on both vertical and horizontal movement
    2. There are no virtual buttons. The entire game is played using only touch and swipe movements: Press Right side of screen to move right. Left to move left. Swipe right to wall jump right. Swipe left to wall jump left. Swipe down to drop from a ceiling.
    3. There is no manual jumping. Jumping is sequenced similar to 3d Zelda games where it's based on the environment. This adds a unique feel to the game as players will need to think about how best to interract with their surroundings.
    4. Speed Running has an important purpose in Lion Pig. You will earn a bronze, silver or gold coin for completing a level based on how fast you complete it. If you earn a gold coin in each level in a world then you will unlock the bonus level for that world. Bonus levels contain some fun and unique challenges different from the rest of the game. We call it the mysterious black and white world as every time you enter you really do not know what to expect.

Some other important info people may be interested in :

1. There is a leaderboard for every level that you can compete in on Game Center. There is also Game Center achievements.
    2. iCloud enabled
    3. The game will retail for $1.99 USD. No IAP
    4. Release Date : October 16, 2014

[​IMG]

Thank you for reading this and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I hope you enjoy this game as much as I enjoyed making it.

2. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    looks like a cool retro platformer, hope the control works properly since there's no virtual buttons :)

3. Stingman

Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    Hey copaeci,

Thank you and yes the controls work great. Being as the platformer genre is one of my favs my goal was to create a fun game that took everything I loved from platformers back in the late 80s/early 90s and add a bunch of new mechanics to the mix. And of course if you can't control the character with ease, then the fun element goes right out the window, which is why I actually set up the controls to be the way they are. My buddy's 3 year old can play the game (the first world anyhow) with absolutely no problems, and no beta testers have had issues with controls at all. I think we got it nailed. The game doesn't play like most platformers as the manual jump mechanic is non existent. Definitely went for a Zelda ocarina kind of jump where it's auto based on the environment. I know that's not the traditional way platformers are designed, but I wanted to do something a little different and again, I think it works great. I think Lion Pig is a fun game and I hope you give it a shot. Thanks again for the comment.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Woh, this look fantastic. Definitely got my eye on this.

5. Stingman

Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    Icon

Wrapping things up this weekend and if all goes well I hope to submit the game sometime next week. In the meantime here's the App Icon. Don't let his cuteness fool you... he's pretty damn tough!

[​IMG]

6. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    First of all I love the icon. Adorable!
    Watched the video.looks like a platformer with a bit of runner mixed in.
    I like that the lion-pig can go upside down to walk on the ceilings. Maybe all lion-pigs can do that? I wouldn't know since I've never met one. He he.
    I look forward to the release. I definitely want to play this one!

7. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    This looks fun and challenging. Platformers, go!

8. Stingman

Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    #8 Stingman, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    The story of the Lion Pig

So I thought I’d share a little personal history on Lion Pigs and where they come from, or rather where I got inspiration to create him. I have a dog (a small terrier) named Splinter (yes named after Master Splinter cause he kind of looks like a rat). But my dog Splinter also looks like he has a lion’s mane and a pig tail, so my girlfriend and I nicknamed him Lion Pig. Splinter has aggression issues and originally I thought of a ridiculous idea for a game (which I won’t go into here) based on his aggression and decided I was going to call the game Lion Pig. Then as I start development I really start liking the character and I ask my buddy if he’d like to help with animation for the character. I figured I’d just put out a game in like a month or so with some quick style gameplay : some sort of endless game. But now, 6 months later, after letting this crazy animal consume my life, I’m about to release this fun little beast of a game. I took everything I loved about Super Mario World from when I was a kid and then altered the mechanics, created a new species and tried to do something fun... something that captured the feeling of what a fun game was back when I was a kid. What was originally intended to be a simple 1-month project ended up being a much more time consuming project that took 6 months to make and long 12+ hour work days, 7 days a week. Making indie games truly is a labor of love and I love Lion Pig. I’m excited to show you more soon and I’m already underway on a Halloween Update, costumes and all :)

9. Stingman

Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    Coming soon + Halloween!

Hey guys,

Lion Pig is currently waiting for review from Apple so I should have a release date soon. In the meantime I also wanted to mention that the first update has been in production for the last few days. I've got some real cool ideas for Halloween! So expect some more content soon after the release. The Halloween update will be free, but you may need to collect a few hidden items to unlock the halloween world. Don't worry though, it's all in good fun.

I'm working hard on the art and should get into the level design and code aspects soon enough. If anyone has any cool or fun ideas for halloween content I'd love to hear your thoughts. I may end up adding something you think up.

Below is a screenshot of the WIP. Parallax background, moon, sky and more will be added soon. Still pretty basic but figured I'd share as the world evolves.

[​IMG]

10. Stingman

Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    Release Date : October 16

Hi guys, Lion Pig has been approved and will be launching this Thursday, October 16. Stay posted for some more details. Also, I'm wrapping up the Halloween update and will be submitting by the end of the week. I'll be posting a video featuring the halloween content very soon!