6 or 6+? (an existential crisis!)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by StVincent, Sep 23, 2014.

1. StVincent

StVincent Member

Aug 13, 2011
    So I played around with a 6+ in the store today for about fifteen minutes trying to use it like I use my current phone (a 4S)... long story short, I almost dropped it once, and my thumb still hurts two hours later.

I like to walk around the city using my phone one-handed, but I also am absolutely in love with the idea of a huge iPad-mini-mini sized screen, optical image stabilization, and a big battery. After reaching and stretching on the 6 Plus, I went back to the 6 and it felt so natural... Is the pain worth the bigger screen? Am I doing something wrong? Is one-handed use something I should give up on?

Who else has taken the plunge into the plus-sized end of the pool? I need first-hand accounts (pun intended).

2. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Well my wife has a galaxy s-5 which is 5.1 inches and it feels awesome to me. I bet its not even close to as thin a 6 plus would be. I want the 6 plus and I dont even care if I have to 2 hand it or turn it sideways a lot. I use it for gaming and surfing the net along with texting so it just makes sense.

3. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Doesn't the 6plus has a feature were you can swipe down the screen so you can still reach every button just with your thumb?
    I'm sure it has.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #4 Vovin, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    Maybe this article helps:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/22/6827863/apple-iphone-6-plus

It's a must-read anyway, it's written in a hilarious way.

Another thing to consider as a gamer is this:

You should also take note of these benchmarks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah. Double-tap (NOT double-click) the home button and it brings the upper half of the screen down.

5. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Ugh, thanks for the link and benchmark results. Couldnt be worse I guess?
    I really dont understand why Apple didnt add an extra graphic core like they did with previous devices like the iPad 4 to make up for the higher resolution.

6. dylanfan007

dylanfan007 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Imo go for the iphone 6,4.7 inch is the 'perfect' smartphone size,you can use it one handed and can still enjoy the width and length for videos,browsing or mostly to play games.It's according to me the perfect size anything around 5 is hard to manage and kind of clunky to use one handed,My android is 5inch and while the screen estate is good the portablility is clunky.

Honestly though I have have relatively large hands and the 4inch screen on my 5s is a bit of a letdown,I wish it was 4.7inches myself.Best thing is to try both the devices out your yourself.

6+ with 5.5 is almost useless qnd should not have existed in the first place,If I can't carry it in my pockets properly and need two hands to operate then I might as well buy a tablet.

Get iph6.

7. dylanfan007

Sep 3, 2014
    Tbh extra core would mostly be useless since even pc games don't properly utilise 4 cores properly,I do agree that they shoul've put a steonger gpu in there but realistically what's rhe difference? Which game really pushes the devices?
    We aren't even close to vita's graphics putting a stronger gpu for angry birds and stuff is useless,on the other hand stufd like mC5,Dq8 and bioshock struggles even on a tegra k1 due to poor optimisation.
    We've hit a bottleneck in graphics and no game on appstore is even close to exploring half the potential of these devices,They may next year put a device capable of ps3 quality graphics but there's no point playing angry birds on it.

8. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Well yeah, what I've meant is that Apple should make all actual devices equal performance wise with either more cores or -like you said- a better GPU. Now we have the same as last year where the 5S was outperforming the iPad Air & Mini2.
    The iPhone 5 and iPad 4 were almost equal so you could be sure a game would run smoothly on both devices.

9. dylanfan007

Sep 3, 2014
    #9 dylanfan007, Sep 23, 2014
    True,I hope that they do the same for this year onwards.But while Air and 5s did have same gpu the res on ipad air was much higher.People should give up on retina for at least 6-7 years.Ps4/Xone can't do 1920*1080 then why do people expect ipad to do 2048*1536.That's 'ONE MILLION' more pixels or 50% more pixels to push,It's impossible.

P.S Did you notice the flaw in the benchmark? Trex hd on native res (1920*1080)of 6+ isis 34.4 fps but running at the same (1920*1080) offscreen is 44fps.How's that possible?

10. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    @Vovin thanks for the article it was a good read.

About performance concerns regarding iPhone 6+ just remember if iPads use the same chipset with iPhones this year they are gonna have to push 1 million more pixels than iPhone 6+ and that'll make them even less powerful so developers will probably aim for them rather than iPhones and there won't be a huge difference between iPhone 6 and 6+ so unless Apple uses a different chipset on the new ipad line you're worrying over nothing.

11. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #11 Nekku, Sep 23, 2014
    Just saw this on Anandtech:
    If this is true, than this is the answer to your question.
    Hmm, but I tought the 6plus is full hd only? :/

Edit: found the answer

That's why it has lower fps in on-screen benchmarks.
    Well that's very counterproductive imo

12. dylanfan007

Sep 3, 2014
    Missed it completely thanks!:)
    But why is ios doing so,I mean benchmark should be 1920*1080 regardless?eh.

13. StVincent

StVincent Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Actually, the worst culprit is the damn .?123 button on the lower left. It's like miiiiiles away.