★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Jeff Molofee
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 4.0 MB
  • Version: 1.5
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Experience pixel graphics at their finest in this never ending battle against the birds. Travel from grasslands to barren volcanic wastelands. Mount your Pegasus, grab your lance... Fulfill your destiny as a Lord of the Skies!

"Frankly we found your app idea is amazing ... 4.5 / 5 Stars" - iOSAPPSPY
"I'm really surprised with just how much I am enjoying playing Lord of the Skies" - TouchArcade
"A fun time killer that deserves some love" - AppAdvice

Game Features:
- 7 unique areas to explore, 5 levels per area
- Birds have 31 different skills (swooping, cloaking, seeking, etc)
- Leader-boards for points, kills and highest level achieved
- Personal best score is saved on your device
- Simple controls designed specifically for a touch screen
- Hidden bonus content for you to discover
- Works on iPhone and iPad
- No ads, No in-app purchases
- Additional content being added on a regular basis

If you like this game PLEASE leave a comment. Every opinion matters!

* This game is based on classics such as Sir Lancelot, Pegasus, Balloon Fight and Joust.
** Difficulty ranges from extremely easy to almost impossible!
*** Be sure to play Lord Of The Skies on Halloween for a hidden surprise!
10-08-2014, 08:29 PM
To be clear, this isn't a Joust clone; it has Joust flying mechanics, and you kill Flappy Birds that are flying across the screen. There are no platforms (except the ground), no lava, no eggs, no AI.

That doesn't make it bad, but it is a much simpler game than Joust.

I bought it and got to level 5 on my second game, once I figured out that you don't just bounce on the birds from above, but have to face them and hit them with your lance.

P1XL Games | Twitter | Facebook
Paid: Super Splatform (8-bit platformer) - 4NR (2-bit platformer)
More: P1XL Party (original game collection) - RPG Quest - Minim (8-bit RPG)
Free: Bad Student Driver (Flappy Car?) - Bad Student Driver: Swing Ride (New)

10-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Yeah the comparison to Joust seems a bit of a stretch without the platforms and other Joust-like things. Air Supply SOS is much closer to Joust than this (despite lacking the jousting). Still it does have leaderboards which is a huge plus for an arcade like game.

My main holdouts are:

"- Hidden content for the die hard players (skip a day and you may miss it)"

I really dislike games that punish me for not being able to play daily. Just let me experience everything at my pace. That's my preference anyway.

&

"- No ads (help keep this game ad free... if you enjoy this game tell a friend"

Which to me reads "No ads right now but if it doesn't do well I'm throwing this thing to free and turning on the ad features already buil into the game."

Maybe it doesn't mean that but that's how it looks given my past with iOS gaming. It makes it hard for me to invest even a buck into something that could turn freemium / admium.
10-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Is there any gameplay video?
10-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post

I really dislike games that punish me for not being able to play daily. Just let me experience everything at my pace. That's my preference anyway.
What I believe that is referring to is this (sent to me via emial): "If you play the game on Halloween, St.Patricks day, Christmas, Valentines day, etc... you'll see a completely different first world "

As for the ads thing, well I don't know what to tell you. It's a catch 22. You won't support him with your dollar for fear that there MAY be ads someday, but by not supporting this game you are increasing the chance of it being a financial failure and pushing him towards adding ads to try and break even on its costs.

For me I've gotten far more than a dollar's enjoyment out of this game, even in the first 5 minutes of playing it so it feels more than worth the measly price of entry. But if you want to live in constant fear of what *might* be then that's your choice.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
10-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Some answers

Just wanted to touch on a few things (thank you Boardumb for answering a few of the questions and for being an early player). The game was never intended to be a joust game. It's a cross between joust mechanics and a little game for the atari 2600 called sir lancelot. As Boardumb mentioned above there is no punishment for not playing every day. I actually expect that if the game gets downloaded it will be the casual gamer killing time during his lunch hour at work, riding the bus, etc. In regards to the ad thing... there will NEVER be advertising in the paid version. I don't agree with that in any way shape or form. When someone puts down their hard earned money to buy a game they shouldn't be forced to look at ads. When I said "keep it ad free". I'm not sure how to tackle this one. If you're a dev you probably know how it feels to invest your time and money in a project you love only to see your app passed over or completely ignored. It's both sad and frustrating. Do you hope that by years end a few more people have discovered and purchased your app or do you look at your options and release an ad supported "free" version? By taking 1 minute out of your day to tell a friend about the apps you've downloaded and have enjoyed you are doing the dev a HUGE favor...something he can't do on his own. So all I am saying is please help spread the word about this app so I can continue to add content, fix any issues that arise and maybe even make it better. I would love to hear what you like about the game, what you dislike, what you think could make it better. If you have art skills or you're a wiz with wav's I'd love to hear from you as well I'm not going to lie... I spent hours and hours drawing the graphics you see before you. With a paper and pen my artistic skill level is stick man and stick man with triangle dress = stick woman

With that said "HUGE THANK YOU to TOUCHARCADE... I absolutely love your app / web site!" (long long long time fan).

PoloBaquerizoH there is a short game play video on the iTunes store (I added a 15-30 second clip) unfortunately it doesn't do the game justice, but it does show you the mechanics.

Spoilers below... don't read if you're not interested...

Yes the game starts off slow and it may lose a few of you right off the start but there are a few things that you may not discover on your own, may not notice, etc.

Level 1 is a getting to know the game level. There are 4 birds. They are not smart, it's easy.

Levels 2-5 introduce clouds (to obscure your view), rain (actually pushes down on your player requiring that you flap harder), and direction changing birds.

Levels 6-10 (desert) introduce even more clouds and much more difficult birds (now you see it, now you don't)

Levels 11-15 (snowy mountains) ...surprise... introduces snow (slows your movement), as well as swooping birds. For a good player this is usually their "start of the end".

Levels 16-20 (if you manage to get this far your in for a treat)... this is where the backgrounds go from simple scenes to an interactive animated environment. I wont say anything else. Hopefully someone can get to this level and has the time to brag.

Level 21-25 throws you back into the great white. A barren wasteland with a surprise at the end. By now the birds are insane!

The next 5 levels are so different from what you're used to that you'll have to stare at the screen a bit before you proceed with the attack!

You get a free life every 5000 points (which is easier to achieve on higher levels because there are more birds).

If you already have 3 lives, you get a bonus 1000 points.

Faster kills give you more points and a higher rating at the end of the level.

There are hidden holiday levels that transform the first 5 levels of the game into something completely different. You can wait till the holiday arrives or you can mess with your clock (for the impatient).

The sky changes from day to night mimicking the sky outside (to an extent).

If you get a high score you can brag to your friends with a Facebook post.

Not really a secret, but there are instructions on how to play the game. Many people don't realize that if you tap closer to the center of the screen you fly more upwards and less left and right.

I hope you enjoy playing the game as much as I enjoyed creating it. Please tell a friend If I missed anyone's questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Last edited by Red1; 10-10-2014 at 07:04 AM. Reason: spelling ;)
10-09-2014, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
Yeah the comparison to Joust seems a bit of a stretch without the platforms and other Joust-like things. Air Supply SOS is much closer to Joust than this (despite lacking the jousting). Still it does have leaderboards which is a huge plus for an arcade like game.

My main holdouts are:

&

"- No ads (help keep this game ad free... if you enjoy this game tell a friend"

Which to me reads "No ads right now but if it doesn't do well I'm throwing this thing to free and turning on the ad features already buil into the game."

Maybe it doesn't mean that but that's how it looks given my past with iOS gaming. It makes it hard for me to invest even a buck into something that could turn freemium / admium.
Air supply isn't like joust. That's an homage to the classic game jetpac

Also sorry to say but your long list of worries seems OTT. The games one dollar ! I mean come on ! This is why so many devs go freemium. They release a cheap game and STILL people question 28 things about it before they make the 'huge' purchase. Sorry but its depressing reading stuff like this, no wonder devs go freemium

Last edited by psj3809; 10-09-2014 at 02:30 AM.
10-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
For me I've gotten far more than a dollar's enjoyment out of this game, even in the first 5 minutes of playing it so it feels more than worth the measly price of entry.
Hey Jared, thanks for the front page article on this game, without which I might not have discovered it. I've never played Joust before, but I know some guys in the Air Supply - SOS thread likened it to Joust, and that alone made me interested in this. The low price, leaderboards and your article was enough for me to check it out and I'm glad I did. It's fun! Simple and fun; it does get challenging for me around level 11, which is my best so far (got there twice and died both times).

As for my money's worth, I believe I got that just by checking the 'About' section in the game. I freely admit that I'm a sucker for that kind of thing, though.

@NeHe Dude, Lord of the Skies feels like it's a little labour of love from you. Thanks for the game and I wish you all the best.
10-09-2014, 11:45 AM
I highly recommend avoiding the spoilers in NeHe's post (I'd welcome you to TA, but I see you've been here a while. ) and just spend your dollar and fall in love with this game. It's a labor of love (wouldn't have checked out the About section if it weren't for you Andy) and believe me...doesn't need any audio tweaking or even visually. Love it...and yeah, it's 4 ****ing megabytes. If anyone buys this and deletes it for space (or any other reason, for that matter), I will hunt you down.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
10-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Bought this today after reading the TA article and I LOVE it!!!

It's a great homage to Joust and the game itself is super addictive, the controls are tight and fluid and the graphics are cute.

I have only one minor complaint (iPhone 5S user here), it seems like the "Let's Fly" and "Continue" buttons / spaces don't register or respond properly to the touch, I usually have to click multiple times to make them work.