★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Pro Strategy Football 2014 - Casual Play vs Hard Core Play

10-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Pro Strategy Football 2014 - Casual Play vs Hard Core Play

While I'm waiting for Apple approval of PSF 2014, I thought I'd share some of the goals for this year's version. I'll post about the UI, Casual Play, Career Play, and more.

The biggest thing I wanted to accomplish was to make the game more attractive and playable to new people who wanted to play a strategy football game but didn't want to have to be football experts.

First, I've revamped the menu system. This new approach helps you see play categories and offers help on every single option in the game, so you can learn about every formation, play, shift option, pass pattern, and more, and the pros and cons of each. The new menu system also allows more expansion than the old system. I'll be able to easily add more formations, plays, etc - I could even recategorize plays, and long-term could let players customize their own menus.

Second, I've added Casual Mode. This is great for beginners or for people who don't want to get bogged down in all the details, and it's even fun for experts who want to play a faster game. Let me give an example.

- in Hard Core mode, you could call Pro Set, Strong Right, motion your flanker, throw a medium pass to your split end, change his route to a comeback, and tell the halfback to stay in and block.

- in Casual mode, you lean over to your offensive coordinator and say "Medium Pass" and leave all those other details to him. He will choose the formation, receiver, etc, using the same logic the AI uses when calling his own plays.

Defense is the same way. In Hard Core, you might call 4-3-4, shift over, Man coverage, Pass focus, blitz the MLB and ROLB and double-team the tight end.

In Casual mode, you simply say to your defensive coordinator, "I think he's throwing a short pass, defend against it."

AND you can switch back and forth between the two during any game (except Game Center multiplayer, I still haven't decided what effect it might have to let each user switch during those)

btw, can I post a link to the FB images here? I've uploaded about 50 iPad shots.
10-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStrategyFootball View Post
While I'm waiting for Apple approval of PSF 2014, I thought I'd share some of the goals for this year's version. I'll post about the UI, Casual Play, Career Play, and more.

The biggest thing I wanted to accomplish was to make the game more attractive and playable to new people who wanted to play a strategy football game but didn't want to have to be football experts.

First, I've revamped the menu system. This new approach helps you see play categories and offers help on every single option in the game, so you can learn about every formation, play, shift option, pass pattern, and more, and the pros and cons of each. The new menu system also allows more expansion than the old system. I'll be able to easily add more formations, plays, etc - I could even recategorize plays, and long-term could let players customize their own menus.

Second, I've added Casual Mode. This is great for beginners or for people who don't want to get bogged down in all the details, and it's even fun for experts who want to play a faster game. Let me give an example.

- in Hard Core mode, you could call Pro Set, Strong Right, motion your flanker, throw a medium pass to your split end, change his route to a comeback, and tell the halfback to stay in and block.

- in Casual mode, you lean over to your offensive coordinator and say "Medium Pass" and leave all those other details to him. He will choose the formation, receiver, etc, using the same logic the AI uses when calling his own plays.

Defense is the same way. In Hard Core, you might call 4-3-4, shift over, Man coverage, Pass focus, blitz the MLB and ROLB and double-team the tight end.

In Casual mode, you simply say to your defensive coordinator, "I think he's throwing a short pass, defend against it."

AND you can switch back and forth between the two during any game (except Game Center multiplayer, I still haven't decided what effect it might have to let each user switch during those)

btw, can I post a link to the FB images here? I've uploaded about 50 iPad shots.
I was so bummed that the game didn't come out last night. It's really cool to read about the different modes you have available for the game. Even though I watch football fairly often now, it will be cool to see how starting to play the Casual mode will probably help me better understand the game and why certain plays are better than others and that will prepare me for Hard Core mode.

I know that the game is attached to game center, but are there achievements for the game? Such as: win the Superbowl, win the SB as the lowest ranked team, throw under so many interceptions during a season, throw so many TDs a season, or specific ones like: as the Broncos defeat the Seahawks in the SB. I always love various goals during games and this may help give incentives for replaying the game. Thanks again, Kerry!

10-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Man, I am so ready for this to be released! I have career seasons working now, but need to work through the phases, and it's distracting waiting on the game to be released.

I don't have GC Achievements in the game. I hope to get that in there someday, but other features keep getting pushed to the front.
10-10-2014, 03:01 AM
I'm really really excited for this one. I know it'll be worth the wait. GC Achievements are a motivation for some gamers but I think most people want the actual game to be good So no worries there

TOP5: Chaos Rings 3 / Monster Hunter Freedom Unite / The World Ends With You / Kingdom Rush Series / Implosion
My Artwork: http://pixiv.me/raidriar
10-10-2014, 03:07 AM
Yep heres a vote for 'dont bother with game centre' ! I just want to play the game, dont care if i 'win' an achievement. Its football we're playing here !
10-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Yep heres a vote for 'dont bother with game centre' ! I just want to play the game, dont care if i 'win' an achievement. Its football we're playing here !
I didn't mean to sound like I wanted the game to come out any later just for achievements. I was just voicing an opinion about something that would help me (and maybe others) enjoy the game even more. I'll still enjoy the game immensely without achievements, because it's going to be a great game
10-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Thanks, guys, still waiting for the Apple review. I'm really hoping they'll approve it today ...

On the career play, I'm going to start light with this first pass and can add to it over time. I won't have financials in there, but I do want to offer you competing choices how you allocate your "budget" or "time" at the start of each year.

As soon as I hear from Apple, I'll very happily let everyone know!
10-13-2014, 09:44 PM
I know Apple is swamped with the new iOS and phones, and while I'm waiting on the approval (and working on career mode), I put together this quick video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSIkd1l4CA
10-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Looks awesome! Can't wait for this game...
10-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Can you elaborate on what career play adds?