App Preview Rejection

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PixelEnvision, Oct 9, 2014.

1. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    I'm curious if any developers here experienced app preview rejection? If so, what was the cause?

We have two versions of the app preview videos for our upcoming game. Both should fit the guidelines on paper but one contains pure gameplay (as most app previews I've checked) while the other has 3 slogan cuts added between gameplay.

Due to current average app review times being 12-13 days, I don't want to risk a rejection just because of this...

So, if you had an app preview rejection please share... :)

2. maggiesgames

maggiesgames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    I got info texts on my screenshots on both App Store and Google Play and had no trouble getting accepted. I also got a video on Google Play with slogan texts and info texts. Most games have that, even though you're supposed to show _only_ a screenshot from the game. I think as long as you show a actual screenshots or in-game video it's fine to add some selling text to it as long as you dont overdo it. Or thats my guess. I think you'll be fine.

3. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Thank you for your reply. You're right about the screen shots but app preview metadata rejections seems like a common issue. I've watched WWDC 14 session and they clearly state the don't want videos that feel like ads.

Also Apptamin has 3 sample app preview (game) videos but even though some of the games updated recently none of the those app previews available on iTunes which makes me think if those might be rejected. Also all of the app previews I've checked on iTunes were pure gameplay no matter how big or small the company behind it.

So, I ended up removing the text interstitials and uploaded a new cut today. :)

4. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    I currently have a game waiting for review so I'll share thoughts if there are any issues, although I don't expect there to be problems with my previews. As long as you follow the guidelines and recommendations you should be fine. Things to note:

1. 15-30 seconds
    2. 30fps
    3. Focus on gameplay only. Show what gamers will expect to see when playing the game
    4. Use simple transitions like crossfades and fade to black if you use any. Make it simple

5. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Thank you, I guess I'm all set. :cool: