★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: SimCity help :)

12-17-2008, 01:31 PM
SimCity help :)

I haven't played SimCity in about 10 years, and so I have forgotten many things about it . The road block that I have been running into, so far, is going into debt. I try hard not to, but don't get why I do? Can anyone help me, maybe give me strategies or something to gain money and not lose money?
12-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Send a message via AIM to terrett101
What I remember fondly about SimCity 3000 was the need to constantly manage funding for every type of service. It wasn't simply enough to put down a police station in one place and a school in another, you would then have to micromanage their funding so that they weren't covering too large an area, and then expand them over time. Try cutting the budgets of all your services to ensure they are at a satisfactory level but no higher, that can save you a lot of money.

Unlike SimCity 2000, you couldn't just walk away for an hour and come back to expect to see yourself still in the black, you actually had to play SimCity 3000.

12-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Build small low density zones in the beginning, expanding little by little. Don't build a lot of utilities (police, fire, schools etc) in the beginning they can cost quite a lot every month if you don't have people that pays taxes.
12-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH22 View Post
I haven't played SimCity in about 10 years, and so I have forgotten many things about it . The road block that I have been running into, so far, is going into debt. I try hard not to, but don't get why I do? Can anyone help me, maybe give me strategies or something to gain money and not lose money?
Im with you on this one. I was so amped about it coming to iphone and the thought of playing whenever I have a little time here and there...

Then I realized I have no idea what i'm doing anymore
12-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Great help! Thanks a lot . Yea, I was building roads, and a lot of buildings that took up too much space. I should've condensed it into a smaller area and waited for them taxes. Thanks again
12-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
Im with you on this one. I was so amped about it coming to iphone and the thought of playing whenever I have a little time here and there...

Then I realized I have no idea what i'm doing anymore
Yea the tutorial didn't really help, at all. Haha, but I now have the hang of it even more now that i condensed my space on the map.
12-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Haha, I know exactly how you feel. SimCity is a great game -- but it *will* make you feel really stupid, really fast.
12-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Yea the tutorial didn't really help, at all. Haha, but I now have the hang of it even more now that i condensed my space on the map.
AGREED! I finished the tutorial, started a new game an followed the same guidelines... then waited... and waited... till I released that what I thought was a pause button was actually telling me that the game IS paused. So once I set it to 1x speed things started moving but I had to put my phone down in utter shame

This is why I need instruction booklets!
12-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegantTnT View Post
AGREED! I finished the tutorial, started a new game an followed the same guidelines... then waited... and waited... till I released that what I thought was a pause button was actually telling me that the game IS paused. So once I set it to 1x speed things started moving but I had to put my phone down in utter shame

This is why I need instruction booklets!
Haha, an instruction booklet would be brilliant! I have yet another question tho. When there is, say a little red circle with either a water droplet in it, or a lightning strike, does that mean that source needs electricity or water? Or does it mean they have it already? Because i put electric sources (the wires and such) and it has the circle with the electric strike in it
12-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Haha, an instruction booklet would be brilliant! I have yet another question tho. When there is, say a little red circle with either a water droplet in it, or a lightning strike, does that mean that source needs electricity or water? Or does it mean they have it already? Because i put electric sources (the wires and such) and it has the circle with the electric strike in it
Yeah, it means it needs either water or power.

You can also click the question mark then the building to see detailed info.

Also, once it has power and water it takes a little bit for the warnings to disappear.