★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gamecenter works in sandbox, but not when testing using promo code

10-15-2014, 03:38 AM
Gamecenter works in sandbox, but not when testing using promo code

Hi,
I am having some issues with gamecenter. When a player is being validated I am getting an error message (see attachment below). So basically once the app starts or the user tries to connect to gamcenter, an error message is shown.

The app isn't actually released, I am testing the "live" version using a promo code, this is when gamecenter breaks. Is this to be expected? Will everything work fine once I actually release the app?

Note
- Everything works fine when I am compiling through xcode or ad hock and testing using sandbox.

- Gamecenter leaderboards where activated and included with the version I submitted to the app store for this release

- The leaderboards for this app are displayed as "live" in iTunes connect

10-16-2014, 05:19 AM
The problem could possibly be a setting in iTunes Connect - ensure Game Center is enabled for that version of the app (I seem to remember there is a switch), or maybe the version compatibility table (where you say what versions are compatible with other versions).

Also ensure Game Center is enabled for its App ID in iTC.

Though I'm guessing it wouldn't work in the sandbox either if any of the above wasn't set correctly. I'm really intrigued to know what has caused this so do let us know here when you fix it.

Apps: Lead Wars (TA Thread) | Super Grav (TA Thread)
DemonStudios Ltd | Indie Game Dev
www.demonstudios.com
Follow: Facebook | Twitter
10-16-2014, 02:38 PM
I just solved it!
When an app has been approved, but the developer has set to "manually release the app", this issue is active.

The solution was to press the "release" button in iTunes connect.
I'd like to release the app next week, so I set the availability date for next Thursday.

I just hope I didn't screw up the whole Apple Thursday selection. I don't know if I sort of released it now and it won't show up on their radar for their Thursday pick. Not that I stand a chance I guess
10-21-2014, 02:11 AM
Yes its a bummer, you can't test game center in production until the first version has been released. Major oversight for multiplayer game center games, but c'est la vie.

Mark J, Hit Tennis 3 maker, @markjnet