★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Snakie

09-05-2009, 06:19 AM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Snakie

Hi, my name is Robert Olsson and I've recenly finished creating my first iPhone game Snakie, a 3D-remake of the old classic snake. Snakie currently sells for $0.99.

Description:
Snakie is a game where you take control of a snake, guiding it along the surface of various 3D shapes in space collecting fruits. As you collect more fruits your score increases, but the snake also grows longer making it harder and harder. The game ends when the snake collides with itself.

You can use either the touch screen to control the snake, or tilt the device in the direction and amount you want to turn.

Snakie contains 6 different 3D shapes for you to play on; sphere, cube, donut, glass, gear and knot. Each shape has a separate high score table.

Snakie's official website with more screenshots
Snakie at iTunes

Last edited by rools; 09-07-2009 at 06:40 AM.
09-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Looks okay, congrats on your first title. Maybe release a Lite version too so people can test it out.

iPhone 4 32GB OS.4.0.1
Currently playing: Carcassonne [5/5], Flick Football [5/5], Football Manager [5/5]
iPad 64GB OS 3.2.1
Currently playing: Chopper 2 [4/5], Mod Conflict (too short) [4/5], Osmos HD [4/5]

09-07-2009, 08:12 PM
I got this via a promo code, and I'm quite surprised by how much I'm liking it. Snakie might very well become one of my top ten favs. It's very simple, but a lot of fun.

I was a bit caught off guard by the quality of the music. I wasn't expecting much as there was no sound for the video, but I quite enjoy the synth-like medleys. There's one tune in particular I find quite catchy.

The simplicity of the game's presentation definitely lends itself to its charm. It's pretty cool watching the rest of your snake body wriggling about on the opposite side of an object while you chase more food on the other. So, yeah, it's just the old Snake game but in 3D space, and it's impressively well done. It's definitely a lot more fun than the original or other knock-offs I've come across over the years.

The touch controls work perfectly: touch a little, turn a little; press down, tight turn. I've tried the tilt controls but found them a bit too jumpy to be useful. Still, it's nice to have the option for those who want it.

The only niggle I have is that the game music will stop playing if you don't make a high score and you're given the choice to restart on the same object. Going back to the menu and starting a new game that way fixes that issue. It sure isn't anything game-breaking.

So, if you're not averse to a more interesting take on Snake I can heartily recommend this one.
09-07-2009, 08:27 PM
snake used to be my favorite game on my old cellphone ill give it a try
09-08-2009, 11:08 AM
If you liked the game snake on cell phones before, then you should love Snakie! because It has even better gameplay than the original and the clones!
Snakie just does snake right!

The game has a simple menu interface, It shows you a shape, the highscores, settings, and a play button. Just press play and you are put are into the action after a 3 second countdown.

You have two control options: Tap and Tilt
I prefer Tap, as it is as simple as tapping either the left or right side of the screen and its very responsive and works smoothly. And there is also the Tilt option if you prefer to use that.

Your snake can move in any 360 degree direction and as long as you dont run into your own body, the game will continue. There are no walls and there is no coming out the other side of the screen like in some games.

The shape that you are moving on actually rotates as you are moving along. And on top of that, you can see through the shape and see your own tail dimmed on the other side of the shape!
That helps in planning out where you should go and gives you some warning as to if you will run into yourself.

In game, you have a pause button at the top left, and a collected fruit counter in the top right. and when you quite the game, it pauses the game right where you are and you can resume right where you left off.

Another feature that I like about this game is the graphics. Snakie uses 3D Vector Graphics to make wireframes of different shapes.
The 6 different 3D shapes for you to play on are sphere, cube, donut, glass, gear and knot, and each shape has its own separate high score board. Just slide left and right to change to the shape that you want to play on.
Each shape presents its own unqiue playing surface that you need to adjust to if you plan on making a really high score. It really changes up the gameplay quite a bit and increases the replayability of the game.

Snakie has its own music, and the games menu music is different from its gameplay music. I like the menu music, and I find the gameplay music is interesting. I think each different shape is one of two songs or a variant of one of the two songs, but I could be wrong. Its not bad, but its kind of like the music you might expect in a kids counting game or something like that.

Overall, Snakie is one of the better, if not the best snake games available!

"The previous Dead Trigger thread was the most reported thread in the TouchArcade forum's history." - Eli Hodapp
09-08-2009, 11:12 AM
This reminds me of Snake Galaxy, it has the same concept, moving around a sphere and collecting items. But I will say, Snake galaxy looks way cooler.

10chars
09-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masmo View Post
This reminds me of Snake Galaxy, it has the same concept, moving around a sphere and collecting items. But I will say, Snake galaxy looks way cooler.
Well, Snakie doesnt have a round sphere, it has a sphere with edges which changes it up,
and it also has other shapes other than just a sphere, it also has a cube, dount, glass, gear, and knot!

"The previous Dead Trigger thread was the most reported thread in the TouchArcade forum's history." - Eli Hodapp
09-08-2009, 11:22 AM
this is sooooooooooooooo good! My fav high score game everrrr

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
09-08-2009, 07:55 PM
I just tried out Snake Galaxy for comparison purposes, and I wasn't really all that impressed by it. The controls just feel downright awful and too complicated for this kind of game. Press to where I want to move instead of just controlling turns? No, thanks. I also think Snakie's simplicity lends itself better to this type of game.
09-08-2009, 08:58 PM
lol get that galaxy outta this thread and let the guy make some dough off of his hard work!