★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Hey! I'm New

12-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Hey! I'm New

I just signed up for this forum because I just got an iPod touch and I've found a lot of the posts to be informative and helpful.

I figured an introduction was best suited here. I was wondering what you would recommend for my first 5 or so game purchases? I've been checking out Vay, Warfare Inc and trying to decide between Hero of Sparta ($10) and Kroll ($5).
12-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenric View Post
I just signed up for this forum because I just got an iPod touch and I've found a lot of the posts to be informative and helpful.

I figured an introduction was best suited here. I was wondering what you would recommend for my first 5 or so game purchases? I've been checking out Vay, Warfare Inc and trying to decide between Hero of Sparta ($10) and Kroll ($5).
Stay away from Kroll. If you look for it in the forums, you'll find nothing but hatred.

Dropship is a great game for $1
Tiki Towers just came out for $1 also and it's addicting.
Hero of Sparta, which you mentioned is pretty fun. So is Warfare Inc.
Galcon is a must buy. It's a simple looking game, but it's very well done and it has online multiplayer.
Zombie Attack is tons of funs and only $1
Fastlane is an amazing racer, but it's really f***ing difficult. It's about to get an update to make it easier though.
Fieldrunners
Snailmail is another great cheap game.
Touch Sports Tennis is $1 right now I think. Very well made.
rRootage is free.
Blue Defense is cheap and oddly addicting (and subtly vulgar... I think).
Orions is only $2 for now and well worth it.
phew. There's more good games too, but those are my picks for now. There are a lot of really cheap games that are great. I tried to pick those.

12-17-2008, 02:38 PM
kroll is not recommended. Hero of Sparta is much better.

arn
12-17-2008, 02:46 PM
I hope you don't mind, but I moved the thread to the games section since you're asking for recommendations. More people will find it here.
12-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
For a new iPod touch user, I'd recommend Fieldrunners. You should probably start getting used to the touch screen and controls before you start buying games that have more complicated controls (like Dropship).

The accelerometer can take a while to get used to

Welcome to TA

A couple other games I could recommend:
- Trism/Fuzzle/Frenzic - Great puzzle games
- Snail Mail - A very, very fun game that uses the accelerometer. It might help you get used to it.
- Tap Tap Revenge, Trace, Jelly car - Great free games (although Jelly Car can be very challenging)
- TapDefense - Another free one. If you like this game, you'll probably like Fieldrunners, and in that case I'd definitely recommend Fieldrunners.

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge

Last edited by istopmotion; 12-17-2008 at 02:50 PM.
12-17-2008, 02:50 PM
GAMES:
BIA
Fieldrunners
TapDefence
Warfare Inc.
Galacon
Missile Command
Deadbeef
Sol Free
HoldEm
Chopper
Tetris
Enigmo
Topple

OTHER
Tip
Movies
Around Me
AppSniper
Grocery IQ
Google Earth

to name a few
12-17-2008, 02:55 PM
I just wanted to say welcome.
I think it's nice when new people introduce themselves.
Seems to have been enough recommendations to give you something to ponder, so just thought I'd say welcome.
If you like word games: Wurdle.

If you like puzzle/match games: Quadrum: colors and Elasticity
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
Blue Defense is cheap and oddly addicting (and subtly vulgar... I think).
That's the best part!

Baby Maker Defense Force, GO!
12-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Send a message via AIM to terrett101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenric View Post
I've been checking out Vay.
I'm a big fan of Vay. It was the first game I bought for my iPod and although it was a few weeks before I had a chance to sit down and get into it I have been very happy so far. If you're a fan of typical Final Fantasy style RPGs then you'll like this game. While it's obviously not as deep as the console equivalents, it's good enough for something to play on the go, and I'm still marveled by the fact that I can play a game like this wherever I go. The developers are still working on it, tightening it up and making minor improvements, which is rare for a game that's been out this long. I feel though that with so many high quality releases recently, including in the RPG department, they may put it on sale at some point, but that's just a hunch I have.