★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The Bot Squad: Puzzle Battles by Ubisoft

10-16-2014, 09:34 AM
The Bot Squad: Puzzle Battles by Ubisoft

Here's one I don't think anyone has mentioned yet
10-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
this been soft launched for some time elsewhere, if i remember correctly. Ok, going to try it.
10-17-2014, 08:48 AM
I think I'll reinstall it again

The devs were great on feedback (if you read the old thread) and I'm hoping the changes stayed true in this final version. Would love to hear opinions of anyone who has played a bit.

In the first version the game got difficult too fast with energy consumption being way too quick (you could lose levels rather easily). They offered a buy unlimited energy option and eased the game in the second version.

TOP5: Chaos Rings 3 / Monster Hunter Freedom Unite / The World Ends With You / Kingdom Rush Series / Implosion
My Artwork: http://pixiv.me/raidriar
10-19-2014, 07:38 AM
I replied to old thread about the soft launched game because of the nice feedback from the developer and I gave the game a fair try for over a two days, but I'm done now. I finished 80+ stages, reached the section 5 I guess and the game becomes unplayable. Well, it's a strong statement perhaps, it's just not enjoyable anymore. First of all, I'm not a fan of freemium games. I hate them. Of course, there are exceptions like Sky Force where you can switch from freemium game to premium and get rid of all the "pay to win" elements. Unfortunatelly, this is not the case with this one. First of all, there's energy you need for each stage. With progressing through the game you're unlocking bonus stages where you're able to get batteries, but after 5 sections there are just 2 bonus stages where you're able get like 2 batteries tops and than wait for 15 hours to try again. Well, there's IAP for 4,49€ to get rid of batteries at all and play how much you want, which would be great if there were no upgrades for your troops. Every troop or tower in your squad is upgradable. There are 10 levels of upgrade for each one. You're using orbs to pay for them but there are timers as well. For the first upgrade, it's just 15 minutes, 2nd one is an hour, than 4, 6, 8, the highest one I was willing to tolerate was upgrade to level 6 with 12 hours of waiting time (and around 400 orbs to pay). If there was a possibility to upgrade multiple units simultaneously, I'd might accept the waiting times. But you can upgrade only one unit at a time. I can play previous stages and grind for orbs while updating on background (because you can't play new stages without upgrades, you just don't stand a chance). Of course, grinding is possible only with the unlimited batteries, without that there's just 8 batteries which means 8 levels to play and than wait for recharge. Oh, you're offered to buy two packs in the beginning. Starter pack is for 0,89€ and shortens recharging from 30 minutes per battery to 10 minutes (so you need to wait 80 minutes after 8 stages anyway). The second one is premium pack with unlimited batteries and some orbs and crystals for 7,99€. Both these are one time offer as it says. Anyway, back to upgrades. The only way to skip the waiting times is to speed up the process with second currency - crystals. You're asked to spend hundreds of crystals to speed up e.g. 12 hour upgrade. Funny thing is the crystals are incredibly expensive. The smallest amount is 40 crystals for 0,89€ I think (and considering the hundreds of crystals for speeding up the upgrade process for every single unit it's just ridiculous) Well, there are of course VIP packs for 7 and 30 days (for 1,79€ and 4,49€) and with them you'll receive some orbs and crystals everyday, 20 crystals per day to be specific. On top of that all, there are boosters and disruptors you're able to use during the game (some stages requires them because you can't finish them without them or without upgrading your units more than recommended), funny thing is you have to pay for them as well. Even funnier thing is the price for these. For example there's EMP charge which disables all the enemy units or towers for a few seconds, but it costs 10 crystals! Instant healing for your units costs 50 orbs for each use (and there are stages you'll have to use it 3-5 times). Now considering you're able to get like 40-50 orbs per stage tops (at least for first 5 sections), do the math if you're gonna use these boosters or disruptors.
This game is freemium in its worst. There are multiple currencies, there are timers for upgrades, energy for entering each stage. If you're used to a freemium model and for some reason you're accepting it, you might enjoy this game for a few days. And I mean you're just hit the upgrade and than wait for half a day to get back to try a few stages and than run out of batteries, orbs, crystals and mostly patience. It doesn't matter the game looks good, the units are nicely designed and animated. It doesn't matter it's a mix of tower defense, tower offense and puzzle. It doesn't matter there's hundreds of stages to play because it's a freemium game and it means you can't play it whenever you want or for how long you want. You're limited with timers, currencies, you're mostly waiting instead of playing. This is exactly the kind of game where the developer lean upon "whales" willing (and be able) to spend hundreds of bucks to buy overpriced in-game items. I'm so disappointed. Just stay away of this "game", it's not worth your nerves. If you're willing to pay for starter pack (like I did) it gives you an extra few hours of progress, but there's nothing deeper in this game, it's just money (or time) grabbing machine. What a shame, what a waste of (my) time to even try it... :-/

Last edited by macplash; 10-19-2014 at 07:44 AM.
10-19-2014, 08:55 AM
Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
macplash - Sad thing is that this kind of pay to win is getting in more and more games. As long you don't make mistakes it's playable to some extent, but since it get's harder later in game, you will make a mistake soon or later.
At that time you are mostly partially addicted to game and will pay to proceed. Soon or later you will leave the game due to this, but company who make this game have already at least some money from you, which is what they wanted. While they won't get more money from you after first payment, same situation will happen to more people, so at end, nobody will play it but company will get their money
If you like these games anyway, it's best i guess to play more like these and when you hit time wall, then you need to switch to different game and play it until time wall expires in previous played game.
10-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Well, I'm not saying I'm a fan of tower defense games, what did attract my attention was the visual style and I was willing to pay more than 0,89€ for starter pack to enjoy the game. Unfortunatelly it doesn't matter how much you pay, it's still gonna ask for more. Freemium model is the current phenomenon and even if we're in the group of customers enjoying the premium content and are willing to pay for it, we're not that interesting for the developer as (probably) significantly smaller group of whales making unreasonable purchases (from my perspective, not their) and spending hundreds of dollars just to dominate the leaderboard and whatnot. The sad part is that this group usually covers the expenses. This is good for the developer and bad for the ordinary customer. I grew up on 8bit games era (zx spectrum) and in the 90tees the games were made for fun and pleasure instead of current business point of view. Luckily there's still a bunch of games with premium content released every month worth to pay for and support the developer. Anyway, this seems like off topic discussion and it's probably pointless anyway. This game is freemium, all its mechanics are tailored to generate profits, it has nothing to do with pure fun of playing, that's it.
(a mimochodom, pavk, na mňa mžeš aj česko-slovensky, budem ti rozumieť;-)