I'm mad a heck... iPad mini 3

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by coolpepper43, Oct 16, 2014.

1. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #1 coolpepper43, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    I'm about to start yelling. I have been waiting for the iPad mini 3 for so long and all they did in the upgrade is give it Touch ID. Nothing else, not even a processor upgrade. However the iPad Air gets every upgrade imaginable. I'm really upset about this. I was planning on upgrading but this is pretty horrible. Why would I buy last years iPad mini?

2. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    Agree, w/ no new processor... no thanks. New CPU/GPU is what I look for in an upgrade. I'm cool w/ my Air though. It's so thin it actually feels great. I would recommend looking into the Air 2 unless of course you prefer the smaller screen. Air 2 looks like a beast.

3. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Apple knows really how to twist your arm into the upsell. I do like the compact size of the mini but I need the latest and greatest since ios gaming is my biggest hobby. How sick is it that someone like me would pay $700 for a dedicated portable gaming device. Steve jobs said Apple would become a huge competitor in the handheld gaming market. I thought he was insane and it turned out he was right.

4. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #4 Nekku, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    You have every reason to yell xD
    Nah, seriously, I'm a Mini 2 user myself and I get your feelings...kind of, cuz I decided to get myself a PS4 instead of the new Mini this year (cant stand all this freemium anymore) so it doesnt hurts that much. If I were in your situation I would probably feel the same as you do.
    Now let me get this straight:
    - iPhone 6 with A8 SoC
    - iPhone 6+ with A8 SoC, same clockspeeds as the one in the iPhone 6 but the 6+ has a much higher resolution. The new iPad3 for me.
    - iPad Air 2 with A8X SoC. They did this one right and it should be equal to the 6 performance wise.
    - iPad Mini 3 with A7 SoC which is already outdated. 100$ just for TouchID. Pathetic!

Well, Metal makes less and less sense for me. On one side, they want to make the iOS gaming experience better but on the other side, they totally mess it up. The iPad Mini has one of the best form factors for gaming out of all iDevices, so why the hell put an outdated SoC in exact this device?!
    If you really want all the bells and whistles then you'll have to get yourself a Air 2 this year. Period.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    How are you guys under the impression the iPad mini 3 won't be like the last one? By that, I mean a smaller iPad Air 2. I mean... even Jared's post on the front page says the same. Are we missing something?

6. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    ^Jared updated the news. The only new feature compared to the Mini 2 is TouchID. That's it. No new camera. No new display. The same SoC (A7) as the one in the Mini 2.

7. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Also, don't forget it now comes in gold. It took 7 months of R and D to achieve such a feat.

8. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Oh, okay. Then it's totally worth the 100$! /s :D

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
  10. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    The Mini 3 isn't what makes me mad. It's the lack of anything iPodTouch and AppleTV related. On the plus side, I guess that means my AppleTV3's are still relevant which for an Apple product this many years old is a rarity. But it also means no chance of any serious gaming stuff coming. They still want us to use old school airplay (remember this came along with the 4S) as if that works well in action games.

I know for all us phone and pad geeks the ipod touch may not make sense, but as a parent I can tell you for certain a device where I'm not paying a monthly fee to use yet still has access to my massive iOS game library and fits in a pocket is ideal for the kids. I was really hoping for an iPodTouch6 LTE (which should be cheap to add to a phone plan). That would have been a perfect way for the kids to stay in contact on the cheap while they also can play games and so on. I guess the 3DS will get even more popular in my household.

11. KineticBlur

KineticBlur Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2014
    So happy right now that I decided to upgrade from a Mini to a Mini Retina earlier this year :eek: :p

12. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Just get the Mini 2, it'll save you a hundred bucks. TouchID on an iPad isn't that important anyway

13. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Wow, if the A7 is already outdated then call me a sucker for buying an iPhone 6 since the A8 will be "outdated" in a year. The A7 is by no means outdated, saying such is just idiotic. Seriously? Do people now a days really think that just because their device is a year old its suddenly not good enough? When Intel's Haswell-E processors were announced did I go run out and sell my perfecty fine i5 4670k? No because it does everything I need and its by no means outdated because its a year old.

TL;DR: The Mini 3 isn't outdated just because Apple didn't throw in their new flagship chip. The A7 is fine and performs perfectly for a device $100 cheaper than the Air 2

Now, was it right for Apple to price it the same as last year? No, probably not, they should have dropped the mini line down to $329 again. The only prominent problem I see in doing that is that many people who purchased a Mini 2 a few weeks prior might have some serious buyers remorse, but thats expected with any product launch.

14. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Apple, a very lousy company when it comes to innovation and upgrades.

In the era of 3GB ram and fast processing units for mobile devices, apple is still offering products with 1GB Ram and still expect serious gaming on their devices.

Even the iPad Air 2 is still rocking 1GB of Ram. Simply pathetic.

The only reason why i am still sticking around with my Mini 2 is because of the sheer amount of games on the iOS that cannot be found on Android .

I would be picking up a Note 4 soon and a 128GB SD card, in order to gradually continue my gaming on it.

15. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    As a Mini 2 user I say: Buy last years Mini2. It's $100 less and you get the compact size and better PPI screen. Easy.

16. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    You are the typical consumer. You see bigger and think: Wow it's a whole lot better. When really you should be looking at actual performance. In looking at this, you'll see that Apple consistently out performs the others that are participating in the spec war. Good example: the MP war. While Android OEMs fit as many MP in their spec sheet (no doubt to make consumers think it's better) Apple sits squarely at 8MP - choosing to focus on other important elements which make up outstanding picture quality.

I'm not an Android hater, I'm just not an Apple hater, either.

17. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    No matter how you twist it Pal, 3GB Ram is better than 1GB.

2.7GHz is better than 1.5GHz. What developers choose to do with it is up to them but at least the option is there.

No matter how you twist it, apple is getting left behind and at a certain point, fatigue would set in and consumers would refuse to keep buying the same rehashed products, with negligible upgrades, every year unless apple steps it's competiveness up.

It is the law of the markets.

18. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Yes, people are thinking this. Especially people who are into mobile gaming, a market where hardware specs are improved by huge amounts with every new generation. If it still does what you need, fine. Some people need the best graphics and performance they can get but they can't, simply because there is no way to get it even when they decide to buy the latest device.
    Let's see how this will turn out when developers taking advantage of the A8 chip. I can assure you, the Mini 3 will struggle. Not just because the A7 is much weaker but also because devs these days don't really care about optimisations for older hardware. 1+1...

19. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Yes, think about all of the games you see now that say it only supports the iPad mini 2 for the min requirements. 5 months from now since the iPad mini 3 didn't get a hardware upgrade it is not on par with all other ios devices except the iPod touch, you may see games that won't support the iPad mini 3.

20. Cagey75

Cagey75 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2014
    I'm still using the original iPad mini, almost 2 years, and it still looks like new! Not a blemish on it. It has been in a leather cover since buying, and I clean the screen regular of course. It still plays all the up to date games without a hitch - I use it daily, I play games on it a lot, watch netflix and youtube, all that jazz.

I have been considering a newer version, but now I think I'll aim toward the iPad air. I have a smart phone that I take out and about, the iPad only really gets used at home anyway. SO a larger screen wouldn't bother me much.