★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Crazy fast, crazy hard retro shooter with an amazing chip tune soundtrack!

Super Mashteroids is what you get when you take many of the greatest arcade games of the 80's and smash them together with asteroids at the same time - pure gameplay heaven! If you remember when games were actually difficult then download, sit back and watch those pixels fly!

- Buttery smooth 60fps gameplay
- Classic, Power Up and eight other Challenge modes to play
- Game Center leaderboards for every game mode, and all the challenges
- Relative touch for precise control
- Runs at native resolution on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus

- Soundtrack by chip tune legend I Am Your Destruction, including the tracks:
- Red Giants
- Like A Phoenix
- Decimating Atmospheres
- Into Ashes
- You Will Not Take Anything Else From Me

The Binary Crucible's comments:


The game is free, so enjoy and please do give me feedback here on any improvements I can make for you guys!


Youtube link | Pop Up
10-17-2014, 07:18 PM
#2
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: California, USA
Posts: 4,467
Been waiting for this! Downloading right now. Seems like a cross between Asteroids and Galaga! Can't wait to check it out!

10-17-2014, 08:42 PM
#3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrand1 View Post
Been waiting for this! Downloading right now. Seems like a cross between Asteroids and Galaga! Can't wait to check it out!
Awesome! Please do let me know how you get on, if you have any ideas or improvements etc. - also any bugs you find

I will be doing an update pretty much ASAP to fix the iPad iOS8 sharing bug - apologies for that slipping through, doesn't affect game play or game center or anything like that, you just can't post your score to twitter or facebook right now on iPad. I've made the fix though, so that should be sorted for iPad iOS8 users in the very near future...
10-18-2014, 05:34 AM
#4
In the upcoming thread i said "i will buy your game if there are GC and top relative touch controls"...bought for $2 an hour ago.

I could have developed this game with all my quarters i put into the machines back in the arcade days, lol, some older folk know exactly what i mean.

This little godess is a time-machine.
Classic mode is tough as the hardest nail, but the blame is always and only on me when i die.
I definitely prefere the powerup mode, "way" easier and i always like to become a stronger and merciless savior of the universe.
Not played yet, but the other modes seem to complete this whole retro package from the past. Very well done !

Improvements ? As little i'm in...my skills only.

Edit: always difficult and a subjective matter - the icon. Not knowing this game, i would not take a look at it.
10-18-2014, 09:20 AM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertz555 View Post
In the upcoming thread i said "i will buy your game if there are GC and top relative touch controls"...bought for $2 an hour ago.

I could have developed this game with all my quarters i put into the machines back in the arcade days, lol, some older folk know exactly what i mean.

This little godess is a time-machine.
Classic mode is tough as the hardest nail, but the blame is always and only on me when i die.
I definitely prefere the powerup mode, "way" easier and i always like to become a stronger and merciless savior of the universe.
Not played yet, but the other modes seem to complete this whole retro package from the past. Very well done !

Improvements ? As little i'm in...my skills only.

Edit: always difficult and a subjective matter - the icon. Not knowing this game, i would not take a look at it.
Thank you for the kind words!

One of the most important factors for me when writing the game was that it would be very hard but always "fair" - just like the original machines were. A big part of that is the collision engine being per pixel, with no hit boxes and no fuzz. If two pixels cross, you die, if they come within a hair's breadth but don't touch, you live on!

I'm really glad you're enjoying the game - are you on game center? I'm seeing a few scores popping up now. Feels really great to see folks posting scores.

Re. the icon, yeah - the guy who did the art wanted to make something different but I insisted I agree though, it could do with a change - we will do that in an update. The idea with the magenta background was kind of an homage to the old days where magenta was used as a transparent colour for sprites but I think it doesn't quite work for an icon.

Thank you again for playing, and for the purchase!
10-19-2014, 04:59 AM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Binary Crucible View Post
Thank you for the kind words!

One of the most important factors for me when writing the game was that it would be very hard but always "fair" - just like the original machines were. A big part of that is the collision engine being per pixel, with no hit boxes and no fuzz. If two pixels cross, you die, if they come within a hair's breadth but don't touch, you live on!

I'm really glad you're enjoying the game - are you on game center? I'm seeing a few scores popping up now. Feels really great to see folks posting scores.

Re. the icon, yeah - the guy who did the art wanted to make something different but I insisted I agree though, it could do with a change - we will do that in an update. The idea with the magenta background was kind of an homage to the old days where magenta was used as a transparent colour for sprites but I think it doesn't quite work for an icon.

Thank you again for playing, and for the purchase!
Currently third on classic, second on powerup, yet. Have to get to know the behaviour of exploding a(s)steroids and intruders more. And i'm distracted with my game of the week, but yours will get more playtime for sure.

Actually, i like magenta, it's eye catching. It's more the biiiiig cookie, makes me only hungry, lol. As a shmup fan, something like the Hyperspace enemy would draw MY attention far more, knowing it could be a Invader style arcade shooter and not one of the thousands cheezy cheap Dodge the asteroids game in the store universe. Again, this is only my point of view.

You're welcome, a good buy for me.

Edit: maybe add Retro Arcade shmup to your title. No idea if it helps to get a bit more attention.

Last edited by Qwertz555; 10-19-2014 at 05:01 AM.
10-19-2014, 10:52 AM
#7
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,661
I'm loving the game so far. Defiantly captures the 1980's arcade/Galaga/Galaxian vibe.
10-19-2014, 02:27 PM
#8
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 4
Back To The Future

Its like I've gone back in time! What a great little game. Well, I say little, but there's so much variety! You've done a great job capturing the arcade classics of days gone by, well done. I would type more - but its stopping me recapturing my youth. - Well done again. Can't wait to see what comes in future updates!
10-19-2014, 05:28 PM
#9
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,919
Really enjoying this so far. Seems like it deserves to have far more players. It's a real love letter to old school arcade games.

You should add appinfo to your first post so it links to your app properly. If it gets the attention it deserves it will start appearing in the Hot New Games section, and so forth.

Quote my post and copy and paste this:
Edit: removed.

Last edited by mr_bez; 10-19-2014 at 06:28 PM.
10-19-2014, 05:50 PM
#10
mr_bez thank you so much for showing me how to do that - that really helped and it looks way better now!

I'm glad you're enjoying the game and you're right, it really is my love letter to the arcades of my youth Hopefully it does see a few more downloads, it's hard getting the word out when you're just one guy. I entered it into the IGF competition yesterday so who knows, maybe that will help a bit. Anyway, thank you for your kind words and support - good luck with your high scores!